GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > News & Politics

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,126
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, babobygooglet93
» Online Users: 1,676
0 members and 1,676 guests
No Members online

Old 09-11-2007, 05:44 PM
GreekChat Member

Alleged torture suspects may face hate crime charges

http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/09/11/wom...red/index.html
Old 09-11-2007, 09:58 PM

Another really awful crime.

Some of these family trees must have no branches.
The above is the opinion of the poster which may or may not be based in known facts and does not necessarily reflect the views of Delta Tau Delta or Greek Chat -- but it might.
Old 09-12-2007, 09:39 AM
GreekChat Member

And I am sorry to say this...but...you have people out there that say "well racism is going away" or "Get over it" or "Slavery was a long time we have changed, let it go"

But the more I keep hearing stories like this I have to say..."WHY?"

This isn't an attack, mind you or a Black vs White thing but it just boils my blood when I hear people say these things and then stories pop up like this.

Then you have the Jena 6 and the College Park incident

There are obviously some people out there who need some letting go to do thier own selves.

Worst of all this is coming from kids just barely in thier 20s so I ask...

Where are they learning this from? Home.

James posted an article about 2 pre teen kids who are espousing hate by using Adolf Hitler as thier platform.

Sure the article is 2 years old but still when you hear kids being brain trained to hate (for the sake of hate's sake) it indicates that we aren't progressing any further than we did LAST century.

There was another article about 2 weeks ago that the KKK in Manassas VA supports the govt' proposed ban to provide govt services to illegal immigrants or immigrants with questionable status....

People post info about here often about these racially insane issues going on and I noted that many don't comment but but more than enough peek in to see....let's stay informed and also let's not be afraid to comment because this is the place where we have to raise OUR kids.

But it still makes me ask....

What is this world coming to?
Law and Order: Gotham - “In the Criminal Justice System of Gotham City the people are represented by three separate, yet equally important groups. The police who investigate crime, the District Attorneys who prosecute the offenders, and the Batman. These are their stories.”

Last edited by DaemonSeid; 09-12-2007 at 09:43 AM.
Old 09-12-2007, 10:16 AM
GC Member

Send a message via AIM to OneTimeSBX Send a message via Yahoo to OneTimeSBX
back in the day, a hate crime was black/white, now it comes in so many forms...i just read where a lesbian and her sister were beaten.

it is definately taught. go to any day care and see how many two year olds have segregated themselves. sure, there may be a boy/girl division, which is natural at that age, but i'll bet there is no race division. its sad that people act that way. the only thing i can do is raise my children as i was raised: 100% unbiased.
Old 09-12-2007, 11:16 AM
GreekChat Member

I won't sit here and lie and say I was raised that way...that's just me being honest...but as I got older, I learned to deal with people on an indivdual basis. because some of the ver so called people that some get taught to hate could very well be the same ones that has to save thier lives....I think that one other thing that has really pushed this into the forefront was 9/11....now middle easterners are targets...I just heard on the news this morning how a woman here had her tires slashed by teens.
Law and Order: Gotham - “In the Criminal Justice System of Gotham City the people are represented by three separate, yet equally important groups. The police who investigate crime, the District Attorneys who prosecute the offenders, and the Batman. These are their stories.”
Old 09-12-2007, 11:34 AM
GC Member

my older male relatives (uncles and my grandpa) still harbor those negative, anti-white feelings. they grew up during Jim Crow in the south, so although it is wrong, i understand what they have been thru. my father served in Vietnam. he said that broke him of any animosities he had. over there, they were all the enemy, all americans. there was not time for that nonsense.

my youngest sister has been dating a guy over a year, and because he is white, she has never introduced him to anyone outside of our parents. the comments are just unbearable when one of us crosses the color barrier. when i was pregnant with my daughter, whose father is Puerto Rican, i got the normal upturned noses, and a few "at least he wasnt WHITE" comments.
Old 09-12-2007, 12:02 PM
GreekChat Member

U know that's one thing about parts of the South...is that when you go, you will really REAAAAALLLY find out what people will think of you.

Just think all of the major issues right now are coming from Southern States

Jena 6 - Louisiana

**Sidebar** I spoke to a young lady on Saturday from Louisiana and she said that she has been thru Jena many times in her life and it's not the most friendly of places so it's almost no surprise that they have a lot of issues kicking off down there.

Glenarlow Wilson - Georgia

The Torture incident - West Virginia

The Noose - Maryland
Old 09-12-2007, 12:08 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltAlum View Post

Some of these family trees must have no branches.
LMAO. A couple of them look like they probably had an evaluation every three years in school.
Old 09-12-2007, 12:20 PM
GreekChat Member

More on the Logan 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKA2D '91 View Post
LMAO. A couple of them look like they probably had an evaluation every three years in school.

Since 1991, police have filed 108 criminal charges against the six. Frankie Brewster, 49, faced the most serious charges among them. Karen Burton, 46, of Chapmanville had the most charges in all, with 33; and her daughter, Alisha Burton, 23, had 20.

Brewster, who owns the Big Creek mobile home, was charged in 1994 with first-degree murder, but pleaded guilty to lesser charges of manslaughter and wanton endangerment. She was released from prison in 2000 after serving five years in the death of 84-year-old Polly T. Ferrell, court records show.

http://www.thesmokinggun.com/archive...logansix3.html

http://www.examiner.com/a-930475~Det...ture_Case.html
Old 09-12-2007, 12:21 PM
GC Member

dear WV judge...

UNDER. THE. JAIL.

sincerely,
society
Old 09-12-2007, 12:23 PM
GreekChat Member

DAMN!
They committed these crimes AND.THEY.ARE.ON.THE STREET?

Awww. Hell no!
Yet, we have....aw nevemind!
Old 09-12-2007, 12:24 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaemonSeid View Post
And I am sorry to say this...but...you have people out there that say "well racism is going away" or "Get over it" or "Slavery was a long time we have changed, let it go"

But the more I keep hearing stories like this I have to say..."WHY?"

This isn't an attack, mind you or a Black vs White thing but it just boils my blood when I hear people say these things and then stories pop up like this.

Then you have the Jena 6 and the College Park incident

There are obviously some people out there who need some letting go to do thier own selves.

Worst of all this is coming from kids just barely in thier 20s so I ask...

Where are they learning this from? Home.

James posted an article about 2 pre teen kids who are espousing hate by using Adolf Hitler as thier platform.

Sure the article is 2 years old but still when you hear kids being brain trained to hate (for the sake of hate's sake) it indicates that we aren't progressing any further than we did LAST century.

There was another article about 2 weeks ago that the KKK in Manassas VA supports the govt' proposed ban to provide govt services to illegal immigrants or immigrants with questionable status....

People post info about here often about these racially insane issues going on and I noted that many don't comment but but more than enough peek in to see....let's stay informed and also let's not be afraid to comment because this is the place where we have to raise OUR kids.

But it still makes me ask....

What is this world coming to?
What seems to be embedded in your argument is that if incidents like this and Jena 6 (and the U of M noose incident) didn't occur, it would be understandable when folks say that racism is no longer an issue and that it would be understandable that folks say we all need to get over it.

These overt acts of intolerance and group privilege don't serve as THE examples of the existence of racism. Examples exist all day everyday throughout various social institutions and without much fanfare.

So when you act particularly surprised over such acts for the sake of "racism," it only does a disservice to the larger cause. The larger cause isn't contingent upon the existence of racial bigots. So I'm only disgusted over these recent incidents for the sake of humanity and intelligence.

I haven't gotten my "no justice, no peace" hat out of the closet because this stuff happened. I never put the hat in the closet. Of course we haven't progressed. Only people who are looking for the noose in their backyard or for the "coloreds only" water fountain actually think the absence thereof means progression. Instead, the absence thereof means the evolution of racist ideology and structure.
Old 09-12-2007, 12:33 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaemonSeid View Post
U know that's one thing about parts of the South...is that when you go, you will really REAAAAALLLY find out what people will think of you.

Just think all of the major issues right now are coming from Southern States

Jena 6 - Louisiana

**Sidebar** I spoke to a young lady on Saturday from Louisiana and she said that she has been thru Jena many times in her life and it's not the most friendly of places so it's almost no surprise that they have a lot of issues kicking off down there.

Glenarlow Wilson - Georgia

The Torture incident - West Virginia

The Noose - Maryland
Some people don't consider Maryland to be a "southern state." It may be geographically and what not, but some parts of it and VA are culturally not "southern."

So I have to correct you on pinpointing the South, since again folks are stuck on the South and defining "racism" as something that doesn't exist unless you can see a noose. You find out what people reallllly REAALLLLLY think about you anywhere you go. I've been all over the country and have yet to see why people in the West or the North think they've escaped racism and discrimination. California, for example, has the highest amount of documented hate groups, in addition to other racial tensions.

Taking a historical perspective, blacks migrated to the North for economic opportunities and to escape the Jim Crow South. That doesn't mean they were treated the same as whites were treated and afforded the same opportunities. They were still overwhelmingly seen as subhumans and relegated to the black ghettos while whites and new European immigrants who assimilated into "whiteness" were afforded more opportunities.

So if this topic is going to be about the South, that's a shortsighted and high school student-level way of discussing racism and general social injustice.
Old 09-12-2007, 12:45 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneTimeSBX View Post
the only thing i can do is raise my children as i was raised: 100% unbiased.
That doesn't make someone not racist or not discriminatory.

Ask the employers who throw applications away based on "ethnic names" how much they absolutely hate racial and ethnic minorities. Then ask them how they were raised. A lot of them will tell you that they don't hate but rather love everyone and that their parents raised them to be accepting of everyone. Then they'll explain to you that they throw away "ethnic named" applicants' applications because of (insert non-race related excuse such as "we're looking for workers our clients can relate to and Mfufu might not be able to connect to the clients.").
Old 09-12-2007, 12:46 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSTCHAOS View Post
What seems to be embedded in your argument is that if incidents like this and Jena 6 (and the U of M noose incident) didn't occur, it would be understandable when folks say that racism is no longer an issue and that it would be understandable that folks say we all need to get over it.

These overt acts of intolerance and group privilege don't serve as THE examples of the existence of racism. Examples exist all day everyday throughout various social institutions and without much fanfare.

So when you act particularly surprised over such acts for the sake of "racism," it only does a disservice to the larger cause. The larger cause isn't contingent upon the existence of racial bigots. So I'm only disgusted over these recent incidents for the sake of humanity and intelligence.

I haven't gotten my "no justice, no peace" hat out of the closet because this stuff happened. I never put the hat in the closet. Of course we haven't progressed. Only people who are looking for the noose in their backyard or for the "coloreds only" water fountain actually think the absence thereof means progression. Instead, the absence thereof means the evolution of racist ideology and structure.

No I am sure that for every ONE story that gets posted...there are at least 4 more that we may never hear about....What I am trying to say is that it makes me mad are the folks that want us to bury our heads in the sand and act like it's NOT going on at all which of course would be foolish!