GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,124
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, znathanhulzeo24
» Online Users: 1,462
3 members and 1,459 guests
Roses78, Titchou

Old 05-18-2000, 10:41 PM
GreekChat Member

Question Pledge Process

What happens when you've been pledged but you find out after the process is over that your paper work for Nationals doesn't get accepted becuase of technicalities? Do you still wear para? Do you claim yourself as a member?
Old 05-18-2000, 10:45 PM
GreekChat Member

wow, i didn't know that could happen.
Old 05-18-2000, 11:20 PM
c&c1913

I've never heard of this either, but it is my opinion that if your application is not accepted by nationals, then you are not recognized by nationals and not a member. Even though, you went through the process, I would consider this an "underground" line. Although I am not sure what organization you pledged for, my question is how can the pledge process take place without consent from the regional or national office? If there were any problems with the paper work, it should have been caught before the process went too far. Also, did the national office give you an explanation or reasons for being denied?
Old 05-19-2000, 02:19 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to tickledpink
I'm not quite sure what took place with you (or if it took place with you personally), but anything outside of Nationals' MIP guidelines is considered hazing and is illegal and punishable by law. When you willingly participate in activities of this nature, you then are just as guilty as the "hazers". Unless Nationals accepts you, you are really not considered a member and should not behave as such.

If something like this happened to you, you have my deepest sympathy, but my advice would be find out what the technicality was, work to correct it, and try again next year.

Good luck in your endeavors.

------------------
>>>"Many women do noble things, but you surpass them all."
Charm is deceptive and beauty is fleeting, but a woman who fears the Lord is to be praised... Proverbs 31:29-30

[This message has been edited by tickledpink (edited May 19, 2000).]
Old 05-23-2000, 08:10 PM
GreekChat Member

Unhappy

Leah,

My honest opinion is that you carefully fold up your 'naila and work your behind off until you are able to submit your paper work to IHQ. This was the fault of the chapter, not you, and so usually the chapter will recognize you (allow you to participate on a local level) if you chose to "wear 'naila" until your paperwork is accepted.

However, you would be doing both yourself and the organziation a disservice by doing so. You will not be as motivated to get your stuff together if you have some of the benefits of Sorority membership, but not all. Many ghost members never seem to get around to becoming official. You do a disservice to the organization because they cannot use your time, talents and money on an International level, because you do not exist. You are always looking over your shoulder to ensure you don't run into an "official" member who is not a member of your local chapter. You fear being "found out". You cannot attend any official sorority function as a member, even locally. The chapter recieves benefit of your particpation, but you cannot be offically recognized for your work. Being a "ghost" member may seem like a solution, but it rarely is to your benefit--the cons outway the pros. Wait, and the rewards will be sweeter.

Hope this helps,
-shela