GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Careers & Employment

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 841
1 members and 840 guests
Cookiez17

Old 10-13-2005, 08:03 PM
GreekChat Member

Quarter Life Crisis

So I think I have hit my quarter life crisis a little early. There is a lot of good advice around here so I thought I would ask for some...

I have been out of school for a year and a half and well I can't seem to find a job that I like. My BS is simular to a Biology degree and I just can't seem to find anything I really like that still pays good. Currently, my position pays well but I know it's not for me.

With that being said I thought about going back to school to get second BS in nursing. Once I looked into this option I know I would just be better off to get a masters. I'm just worried that I will be locking myself into something to specific...

So I'll take any input if you have a masters, if you think it's a waste of time, etc.

Thanks for any suggestions or information
Old 10-13-2005, 09:14 PM
GreekChat Member

Re: Quarter Life Crisis

Quote:
Originally posted by Allie
So I think I have hit my quarter life crisis a little early. There is a lot of good advice around here so I thought I would ask for some...

I have been out of school for a year and a half and well I can't seem to find a job that I like. My BS is simular to a Biology degree and I just can't seem to find anything I really like that still pays good. Currently, my position pays well but I know it's not for me.

With that being said I thought about going back to school to get second BS in nursing. Once I looked into this option I know I would just be better off to get a masters. I'm just worried that I will be locking myself into something to specific...

So I'll take any input if you have a masters, if you think it's a waste of time, etc.

Thanks for any suggestions or information
A couple of things:
It took me a couple of years to find the "right" job for me, and it just recently happened. The job market is what it is, and for a lot of people, that means making compromises with first and even second jobs. You obviously know your financial situation, so maybe you can afford to wait longer.

Secondly, a good nursing program is difficult; a (very intelligent) friend of mine just finished a nurse practitioner program at a good school, and she really worked her tail off for three years. Like anything else, I'd be completely sure before making any grad school decisions.
Old 10-14-2005, 06:53 AM
GreekChat Member

I don't think getting a Master's is a waste of time if it is in a field you really want to do, will really make a difference in finding a great job and that there is the understanding that it may not make a difference in finding a great job, because a lot of people get their Master's these days, thus, making lots of fields "flooded". I think that it takes several years right out of undergrad, hell, even grad, to find "the right fit". I see you mentioned "quarter life crisis".........it's been mentioned before on GC, but you should check out this site: www.quarterlifecrisis.com/forums/

I am sure you will find a lot of people there going through your exact same or similar situation .