GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,427
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, FlorCundif
» Online Users: 2,486
0 members and 2,486 guests
No Members online

Old 01-24-2004, 11:17 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to AlethiaSi
change flowers?

our flower is the tempora rose... and its pretty and all that- and i know it has symbolism but it would be cool if it was something like the lily or something... have you ever wanted to change your sororities flower?
Old 01-24-2004, 11:22 PM
Super Moderator

Is your organization a local?

I couldn't personally imagine changing my fraternity's flower. It's been a symbol of the fraternity for over a century. It's rooted in the fraternity's symbolism, etc.

If your flower is just a pretty thing you put on shirts though, then fine.
Mu Tau 5, Central Oklahoma
Old 01-24-2004, 11:24 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to AlethiaSi
yea- it is a local- and there would be world war 3 if i said i wanted to change it... ours is related to our crest and is really important... but everyone has a rose do you know waht i mean? lol
Old 01-25-2004, 12:14 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to AchtungBaby80 Send a message via AIM to AchtungBaby80 Send a message via Yahoo to AchtungBaby80
Ours is a rose, too, but it ain't just any old rose...it's the pink Killarney rose, which is somewhere between extremely hard to find and extinct. However, our founders chose it, so that's fine by me. Your flower isn't just any old rose, either...it means something special to you, so what's wrong with that?
Old 01-25-2004, 12:28 AM
GreekChat Member

If I could change anything about Tri Delta on a shallow level (symbols/mascots/colors kind of level) it would be the flower. Before I went through initiation I loved all of our symbols and colors and things EXCEPT for our flower. I'm not a huge fan of the pansy. Now that I know the meaning behind it I think it's beautiful and I don't think I could change it -- but before that I definitely wanted to.
Old 01-25-2004, 12:50 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to sairose Send a message via Yahoo to sairose
I would NEVER want to change our symbol from out beautiful red rose! It's been our symbol since the beginning and has so much significance to us.
Old 01-25-2004, 12:52 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to damasa Send a message via AIM to damasa Send a message via Yahoo to damasa
Eh, a flower is a flower.

There are many more important things in life.

Like how girls have to pick out their outfit and shoes for the next day...stuff like that.
Old 01-25-2004, 09:22 AM
Super Moderator

The good thing about a common flower like a carnation or rose is that they're easily available at rush or other times when you need a flower. I have several Tri Delt, ADPi, Zeta, and Kappa friends who have expressed frustration because you can't just run out and pick up pansies, violets, and irises to give your new members.
Old 01-25-2004, 10:51 AM
GreekChat Member

Alpha Sigma Phi's original flower was the Cardinal rose; when Alpha Kappa Pi consolidated with us in 1946 we adopted the Talisman rose, which is a hybrid of the cardinal rose and the yellow tea rose of Alpha Kappa Pi. Like many hybrid roses, the Talisman rose is very difficult to obtain, so in many cases it was quite acceptable to wear a red rose instead.

In 2000, the Grand Council retired the Talisman rose in favor of the Twin Roses - both cardinal and yellow tea - as our official flowers.

Alpha Alpha (University of Oklahoma) Chapter, #814, 1984
Old 01-25-2004, 11:13 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by carnation
I have several Tri Delt, ADPi, Zeta, and Kappa friends who have expressed frustration because you can't just run out and pick up pansies, violets, and irises to give your new members.
tell your ADPi friends that you can get really pretty potted African violets at Walmart really cheap!
I got 3 of them from sisters when I was initiated last year and have given them out countless times. It lasts longer than a bouquet of flowers (unless you have a black thumb of death...).

and just so this is not totally off topic, I don't think I'd want to change our flower, though I can see where AlethiaSi is coming from. Originality is always good!
Old 01-25-2004, 12:00 PM
cutiepatootie

I love ours and since i am a ivy person i LOOOOVe ivy not a problem.

Your correct about afircian violets at wal mart... very easily attainable to get there. I have actually 2 potted violets in my huse from Wally word.
Old 01-25-2004, 12:24 PM

I love our lily of the valley...

But I'm not so crazy about our mascot. I appreciate the reasoning behind why the giraffe was chosen, and it's certainly unique, but if it were up to me, it wouldn't be our mascot.
Old 01-25-2004, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by ForeverDiamond
(unless you have a black thumb of death...).

LOL
That is soooooooooo me!!!!
Our Beta class presented all the Alpha's a flower pot with pansys, and some were real and some were fake. They gave me real one, and I cringed. They handed me a real bouquet because 'We figured you are a bio major so you would keep them alive" Yeah, like 5 days later it was dead. I felt like such a bad Tri Delt.
Old 01-25-2004, 01:53 PM
GreekChat Member

Smile

Ours is The White Rose!

Aside upon the merger of TKN (1939) Merger with LXA, the Red Rampant Lion looked like a Ketchup spot on the Coat Of Arms!

Lilys----Not, that is what is placed on your Coffin when placed in the Ground!

How about Peonies or Iris? Or, just stay with what you have as it is part of your History! 75 Years aint Bad for a Local!

LX Z # 1
Alumni
Old 01-25-2004, 02:48 PM
GreekChat Member

Gamma Phi Beta has actually altered our flower - it was originally just a carnation, no color specified. In the 1950s (I think in 1956 but I'm not positive) we changed it to the pink carnation.

Truthfully, while I love our brown and brown, I wish we could adopt an international standard of colors to WEAR, because nobody wants brown jerseys. Some chapters do pink and white, some do pink and blue, some do green, etc.