GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 1,314
0 members and 1,314 guests
No Members online
Closed Thread

Old 12-05-2011, 02:00 AM
GreekChat Member

I was wondering if anyone can help me. I am part of Delta Chi (social) and Phi Alpha Delta (prelaw professional).

In the past, I rushed for Delta Sigma Pi (business professional), I really liked them but I didn't get a bid. Does anyone know if I can be in all three fraternities if I successfully rush them?

Just fyi, I am a double major with background in both political science and economics.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 12-08-2012, 02:53 PM
GreekChat Member

One of my sisters who I am very close to is considering dropping and pursuing another greek organization later. We are in a npc sorority and the organization she wants to join is a part of NALFO. I know there are rules against joining another npc sorority but is there a rule about joining another sorority in a different council? I want to convince her not to drop and I feel that I would be more successful if I had some facts to back me up.
Old 12-09-2012, 12:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb1992 View Post
One of my sisters who I am very close to is considering dropping and pursuing another greek organization later. We are in a npc sorority and the organization she wants to join is a part of NALFO. I know there are rules against joining another npc sorority but is there a rule about joining another sorority in a different council? I want to convince her not to drop and I feel that I would be more successful if I had some facts to back me up.
There may not be a written rule, but she should probably think very carefully before deciding to drop.
Old 12-09-2012, 02:37 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb1992 View Post
That is a HUGE risk to take. It will really be up to the rules, written & unwritten, of the NALFO organization. As often advised here, if she drops, she needs to be prepared for the possibility that she will remain without a sorority for the rest of her collegiate career.
Old 12-13-2012, 11:59 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to CUPrez
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1908Revelations View Post
One of my sorors is in a Christian Sorority.

ETA
Varies....Check with orgs in question
I wonder if it is ours Delta Psi Epsilon Christian Sorority, Inc. (http://www.deltapsiepsilon.com) We have every NPHC sorority represented in our sorority and a couple of NPC ones as well. It is about 1/3 of our membership.
Old 12-15-2012, 09:29 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to AlwaysSAI
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirain View Post
I was wondering if anyone can help me. I am part of Delta Chi (social) and Phi Alpha Delta (prelaw professional).

In the past, I rushed for Delta Sigma Pi (business professional), I really liked them but I didn't get a bid. Does anyone know if I can be in all three fraternities if I successfully rush them?
The rules vary by organization, but usually as long as the fraternities are under different umbrellas it is within the regulations to be a member of all three.

I'm a member of Sigma Alpha Iota (music sorority), Phi Sigma Pi (Co-ed Fraternity), and Alpha Gamma Delta (general sorority). So, it has and can be done.
Old 12-26-2012, 10:56 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to PADFSUGirl2K2 Send a message via Yahoo to PADFSUGirl2K2 Send a message via Skype™ to PADFSUGirl2K2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirain View Post

Just fyi, I am a double major with background in both political science and economics.
See my siggy! It's very possible!
Old 05-06-2013, 03:21 PM
GreekChat Member

Membership in multiple Title IX exempt groups...

OK, for a Sorority which is a member of the NPC, is Sigma Alpha Iota the only national women-only collegiate Title IX exempt group that their members can belong to simultaneously? I know we've got NPC/SAI dual members here on Greekchat. Theoretically would a NPC/NPHC dual sorority membership be allowed?

Similarly for a Fraternity which is a member of the NIC, is Phi Mu Alpha Sinfonia the *only* national men-only collegiate Title IX exempt group that their members can belong to simultaneously? Not sure if we have any NIC/PMA here on Greekchat. Theoretically would a NIC/NPHC dual fraternity membership be allowed? (and I'm excluding those groups that belong to both NIC & NPHC like Alpha Phi Alpha) (so if you have to pick an example: Alpha Tau Omega/Omega Psi Phi).
Old 05-06-2013, 03:50 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by naraht View Post
OK, for a Sorority which is a member of the NPC, is Sigma Alpha Iota the only national women-only collegiate Title IX exempt group that their members can belong to simultaneously? I know we've got NPC/SAI dual members here on Greekchat. Theoretically would a NPC/NPHC dual sorority membership be allowed?
I know that members of both NPC and NPHC sororities have said in the past that dual memberships are prohibited. Where that might be written down, if it is, I couldn't tell you.

Quote:
Similarly for a Fraternity which is a member of the NIC, is Phi Mu Alpha Sinfonia the *only* national men-only collegiate Title IX exempt group that their members can belong to simultaneously? Not sure if we have any NIC/PMA here on Greekchat. Theoretically would a NIC/NPHC dual fraternity membership be allowed? (and I'm excluding those groups that belong to both NIC & NPHC like Alpha Phi Alpha) (so if you have to pick an example: Alpha Tau Omega/Omega Psi Phi).
I can't say if we're the only group like you describe, but off the top of my head I can't think of another. That said, even though there is no national prohibition, dual memberships can still be prohibitied on some campuses where a Sinfonia chapter is an IFC member.

And I would note that Omega Psi Phi is the only NPHC fraternity that is not also in the NIC, so I think it's the only org for which your theoretical NIC/NPHC question could apply.
Old 05-06-2013, 04:13 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticCat View Post
I know that members of both NPC and NPHC sororities have said in the past that dual memberships are prohibited. Where that might be written down, if it is, I couldn't tell you.

I can't say if we're the only group like you describe, but off the top of my head I can't think of another. That said, even though there is no national prohibition, dual memberships can still be prohibitied on some campuses where a Sinfonia chapter is an IFC member.

And I would note that Omega Psi Phi is the only NPHC fraternity that is not also in the NIC, so I think it's the only org for which your theoretical NIC/NPHC question could apply.
Hmm. So Phi Mu Alpha/NIC dual ability varies by campus, that sort of surprises me; individual Phi Mu Alpha chapter decision, university rules, or something else?

I knew that 3 of the 5 NPHC Fraternities were in, but I thought it was either Phi Beta Sigma or Kappa Alpha Psi, not both. I was wrong.
Old 05-06-2013, 04:26 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Hmm. So Phi Mu Alpha/NIC dual ability varies by campus, that sort of surprises me; individual Phi Mu Alpha chapter decision, university rules, or something else?
I don't have first-hand experience with it, so I stand to be corrected. But my understanding is that on many if not all campuses where our chapters are members of IFC, part of joining IFC is an agreement not to allow dual memberships with other IFC chapters -- in other words, to play by the same rules with regard to dual membership that other IFC fraternities play by.

Bear in mind that while many chapters do belong to IFCs, most of our chapters do not. (I don't have hard numbers, but my sense is that the chapters belonging to IFC tend to be on smaller campuses.) The decision to join a campus IFC is made by the chapter in consultation with national staff/officers based on what works best for the chapter.
Old 05-06-2013, 04:32 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Theoretically would a NPC/NPHC dual sorority membership be allowed?

....Theoretically would a NIC/NPHC dual fraternity membership be allowed?
Not usually. Most NPHC orgs have rules against that.
Old 05-06-2013, 04:40 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
I knew that 3 of the 5 NPHC Fraternities were in, but I thought it was either Phi Beta Sigma or Kappa Alpha Psi, not both. I was wrong.
Iota Phi Theta is the forth NPHC fraternity that is also a member of the NIC. An interesting historical note is that Iota Phi Theta joined the NIC in 1985 - eleven years before they joined the NPHC in 1996.
Old 05-06-2013, 07:43 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticCat View Post
I don't have first-hand experience with it, so I stand to be corrected. But my understanding is that on many if not all campuses where our chapters are members of IFC, part of joining IFC is an agreement not to allow dual memberships with other IFC chapters -- in other words, to play by the same rules with regard to dual membership that other IFC fraternities play by.

Bear in mind that while many chapters do belong to IFCs, most of our chapters do not. (I don't have hard numbers, but my sense is that the chapters belonging to IFC tend to be on smaller campuses.) The decision to join a campus IFC is made by the chapter in consultation with national staff/officers based on what works best for the chapter.
I've seen Alpha Phi Omega (the co-ed service fraternity)l on a few cases get shoved onto the greek council, but as you said campuses with a small number of social greeks. The "if you pledge, you end up on the council" rule. However I've not seen any Alpha Phi Omega chapter where that has let to limitations on who can join.
Old 05-06-2013, 07:44 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSteven View Post
Iota Phi Theta is the forth NPHC fraternity that is also a member of the NIC. An interesting historical note is that Iota Phi Theta joined the NIC in 1985 - eleven years before they joined the NPHC in 1996.
I was use of APhiA and IPhiTheta, it was ZPhiB and KAPsi I wasn't sure of...

The difference is that the NIC *had* rules on how a Fraternity would join it...