GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,425
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, zenjaminusasdz5
» Online Users: 2,008
2 members and 2,006 guests
No Members online

Old 07-05-2005, 05:05 AM
GreekChat Member

I completely agree with the last two posters...Ironically I am sitting here in my AXO butt shorts...I work out, I have a nice butt if I do say so myself, might as well let everyone know that this this girls nice bum belongs to an Alpha Chi, right? Where I went to school (Arizona) everyone wore UA butt shorts so it seemed only natural to have a pair of Alpha Chi ones as well...it isn't disrespectful at least not any more so than wearing your letters across your breasts...
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 07-05-2005, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by slayerzbt
There are some people that don't even like the idea of wearing letter jackets. They feel it is like "turning their back on their letters". I heard that from an AGD I think. I think that is a bit extreme.
That's insane. I never heard such a stupid comment. I'm sure that was her personal opinion, not AGD's, because I've seen plenty of them in jackets.
Old 07-05-2005, 10:43 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by 33girl
That's insane. I never heard such a stupid comment. I'm sure that was her personal opinion, not AGD's, because I've seen plenty of them in jackets.
Absolutely! We have nothing against jackets!
Old 07-05-2005, 11:14 AM
Super Moderator

Probbbly an old-fashioned viewpoint, but

I try to use this rule of thumb:

Would I be upset if I saw the item on another sister?
Would a Executive Officer be upset if she saw me in it?

If I can answer no to both, I'll go for it.

And as for those "miniture flower pots", I bought one on ebay - because I'm going to smash the darn thing!
Old 07-05-2005, 11:41 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by KillarneyRose
The FIJIs at Pitt all used to have the Greek letters Phi Gamma Delta tattooed on their ankles. This was way before everyone and their mothers got inked. Does anyone know if this is something FIJIs tend to do throughout the fraternity, or if this was just a Pitt thing?
When I was an undergrad, one of the academic advisors in the office I worked at was a FIJI alum (I believe he was one of the founders of the BG chapter from the mid-eighties). I was wearing a letter shirt one day, and we started talking, and he showed me the Phi Gamma Delta tattooed on his ankle. It cracked me up, b/c he was about the most conservative person I'd ever met.
Old 07-05-2005, 12:50 PM
GreekChat Member

Re: Probbbly an old-fashioned viewpoint, but

Quote:
Originally posted by honeychile

And as for those "miniture flower pots", I bought one on ebay - because I'm going to smash the darn thing!
They're votive candle holders!
Old 07-05-2005, 12:51 PM
GreekChat Member

Or toothpick holders.
Old 07-05-2005, 12:54 PM
GreekChat Member

Most inapropriate place for letters - and I know some disagree - is any place applied with a branding iron.
Old 07-05-2005, 01:05 PM
Super Moderator

Re: Re: Probbbly an old-fashioned viewpoint, but

Quote:
Originally posted by ADqtPiMel
They're votive candle holders!
Quote:
KLPDaisy
Or toothpick holders.

BTW, I agree with the branding iron bit.
Old 07-05-2005, 02:07 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DeltaEtaKP
I first saw lettered belly button rings on E-Bay, and I was like who would wear that. But, I also go to a very conservative school. It's not that I have anything against it, it is just that I don't know anyone that would wear it.
We were told when we are pledging that wearing letters on the back of shorts/pants was disrespectful and looked down upon. There are a couple girls in a different sorority on campus with those shorts but not many.
We have a basketball court behind our dorm with our letters on it. One of my friends that is in a fraternity said that he thought that was disrespectful because you are walking on your letters.
Old 07-05-2005, 03:49 PM
GreekChat Member

KillarneyRose: I'm pretty sure that the FIJIs all have their letters tattooed on them because that is the only way they are allowed to wear them. I heard they can wear them when the letters are permanant (a tattoo) or when they are dead. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong.
Old 07-06-2005, 05:02 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to PhrozenGod01 Send a message via Yahoo to PhrozenGod01
What's wrong with branding? Just make sure you heal okay and everything so that the letter doesn't look like something else. That's love. And no letters on your back/ass. It's plain disrespectful. I can't talk too much though about decency, I have an Alpha bottle opener and a shot glass with the crest on it. For special occasions of course... thursday's are special. 1-1-1-1-1-1-9....06!!!!!!
Old 07-06-2005, 05:05 PM
Unregistered-

Quote:
Originally posted by PhrozenGod01
What's wrong with branding? Just make sure you heal okay and everything so that the letter doesn't look like something else.
What's wrong with branding? Only cows and cattle get branded.

And I ain't no fucking cow.

Not to mention my sisters who hold office at IHQ/International would probably go apeshit if she found out any member mutilated their skin like that.

There are other ways to show your love for the org. Branding's not one of them.
Old 07-06-2005, 05:27 PM
GreekChat Member

Talking

OTW, U Dont Look Like a Fucking Cow!!!!!

But actually When They Used to Brand, it was The Calves or Newbies!

I just dont agree with getting pain on My Tired Old Body! To many scars as it is. Shot, Cut, Dog Bit, Car Wrecked, and what the hell ever! It all Hurt at the time!

Humans are Stupid!

Lower Animals have enough sense that when they get their noses burned in the fire, they stay the hell away from it!

LX Z # 1
Alumni
Old 07-07-2005, 12:57 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to audaz49 Send a message via Yahoo to audaz49
Phrozen~ I feel you on the no letters on a$$ or back thing. We don't do that mess either. We just had a fight with a vendor who thought it was cute to print our letters on the BOTTOM of some sandals. I don't think I'll ever be okay with WALKING on my letters, especially if its not okay with me to sit on them or put them behind me.

For those of you who don't understand the no letters on back/butt thing, its very prominent among HBGLOs and LGLOs, maybe MCGLOs as well, but I'm not sure. Many of us feel that our letters should be worn near our hearts, never behind us, as something to forget, and certainly not where we could sit on them. I feel this way, if your org is okay with it, do you. My org isn't okay with it, and I wouldn't do it even if they were.

So I guess my thing is DO YOU.
#49 Audaz
1 of 3, Spring '04
Gamma Chapter
Sigma Lambda Gamma
National Sorority Inc.