GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Kappa > Kappa Kappa Gamma

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,122
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, haledarkz870
» Online Users: 1,662
3 members and 1,659 guests
Sarak24034

Old 06-25-2003, 02:20 AM
GreekChat Member

Question Decorating tips?

Hey everyone!

I have been appointed House Manager of my chapter this coming semester, and one of my duties is to decorate. The problem is that at my school, Whitman College, all the sororities live in dorms. I was wondering if any of you are in similar living situations and have decorating ideas for me, or if you live in a house and have ideas to decorate a dorm section.
Any input would be appreciated!
Thanks!

Loyally,
Emily
Gamma Gamma Chapter
Whitman College
Walla Walla, WA
Old 06-25-2003, 09:00 AM
GreekChat Member

When I was thinking about remodeling my dorm room I went on line and searched for small room make-overs and I found a few websites that helped. I also watched shows such as Christopher Lowe, Trading spaces, Area on the style network, etc.

Also you want to consider a color theme and maybe start from there. Look at magazines for redecorating.

I hope that helps a little.

Annice
Old 06-26-2003, 07:59 PM
GreekChat Member

Thanks!

Thanks for your help!

I'm also looking for ideas on what to put on the walls in the hallways--I could always put up posters but that seems kind of boring. Also, we have a big spiral staircase I could decorate, too.
Thanks again for any help you can give me!

Loyally,
Emily
Old 06-26-2003, 09:59 PM
GreekChat Member

All of the halls at Furman have a theme (On my freshman hall, we were the Carolina Girls, w/ SC stuff everywhere). I'm living on the Kappa hall next year, and am super excited about it!!! Our theme is "We've got the Blues"...sort of a New Orleans theme (and it ties in the blue and blue, too!) It's going to progress from day to night as you go down the hall, w/ blues musicians and stuff like that progressing into a night skyline (w/ lots of blue shading) I don't know if something like that would work at your school, or even if thats what you're talking about. Just thought I would share!
Old 06-28-2003, 12:36 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by yaykappa171
All of the halls at Furman have a theme (On my freshman hall, we were the Carolina Girls, w/ SC stuff everywhere). I'm living on the Kappa hall next year, and am super excited about it!!! Our theme is "We've got the Blues"...sort of a New Orleans theme (and it ties in the blue and blue, too!) It's going to progress from day to night as you go down the hall, w/ blues musicians and stuff like that progressing into a night skyline (w/ lots of blue shading) I don't know if something like that would work at your school, or even if thats what you're talking about. Just thought I would share!
That sounds absolutely adorable! I was at Furman about a month ago but didn't have time to drive around. Have fun living on the hall.
Old 07-29-2003, 03:02 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to sugrsingr
Re: Decorating tips?

Quote:
Originally posted by WallaWallaSweet
Hey everyone!

I have been appointed House Manager of my chapter this coming semester, and one of my duties is to decorate. The problem is that at my school, Whitman College, all the sororities live in dorms. I was wondering if any of you are in similar living situations and have decorating ideas for me, or if you live in a house and have ideas to decorate a dorm section.
Any input would be appreciated!
Thanks!
Hi!
My school is similar where there aren't 'houses' per se on campus, but rather there is a panhellenic wing where the sororities each have a room to hold meetings, etc. In the last two years, we have remodeled the room completely making it our own. Perhaps you should meet with your committee and discuss what you want your chapter's room to characterize. We wanted to emphasize that Kappa is classy, so our house chair went the traditional route with decorating and it is a gorgeous room with a wonderful wall-bookshelf full of pictures, wooden furniture, lots of pillows, and lots of blue. Look around at garage sales for furniture if you have a tight budget and look around in magazines for fun quirky designing tips!
Old 09-18-2003, 03:52 PM
GreekChat Member

the redecorator sugrsingr was talking about was me :-)

i couldn't tell if you guys have a chapter room or you just want to decorate a hallway... if it's a room, here's my story:

nobody had paid our room attention for a long time, so everyone was really eager to see some changes! something that can make the biggest difference is just rearranging the room. and cleaning! i started a cleaning schedule, and i think that kind of made people take pride in the room. i took the chapter president to a garage sale i found and bought a curio cabinet [to display awards], a cute little hexagonal table [our other end table was a hexagon as well] with doors for storage, a large oval mirror in a wood frame, and a short long table in front of our couch, all for $100. with a few additions from our house board [a table to go under the mirror to create an entry-way area to sign the guestbook and some lamps], the room was 100 times better! we created little sitting areas, and an alumnae made gorgeous window seat cushions to replace ours from the 1980's. we also installed wall-to-wall shelving on one wall for more storage and displaying area. before, our room was the frumpy one... at the end of the school year, one of the other sororities [the one that i tried to take inspiration from THEIR room] brought their alumnae to look at our room! it was great.

so basically, be creative and work with your house board. having a great room is amazing and can be a great recruitment tool. figure out the look you are going for [we chose classy], get opinions from the chapter [they should have plenty of ideas about their common area!], work with your committee, and keep your advisors up to date as you go along and see if they can help.

good luck!
Old 09-19-2003, 12:06 PM

I have a non-Greek friend with a very KKG looking bathroom. It's navy painted walls, with gold fleur de lis stencils painted on the walls...very lovely and elegant.