GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,428
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, baangelasteaxdy
» Online Users: 2,416
2 members and 2,414 guests
LaneSig

Old 07-12-2012, 08:09 PM
GreekChat Member

That is helpful. If you know any one of your HS teachers - principal - coach, ask them for the numbers you need. You really need to get working on this as you are way behind at this point. What is your GPA? Over a 3.0, I hope!
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 07-12-2012, 08:31 PM
GreekChat Member

Okay, if you MUST use Facebook, or email, then make sure your request is gracious and clearly explained.

NO - "Hey, Mrs Smith! How is your summer? I was wondering if you were in a sorority in college. If so, I sure hope you'd write me a rec! Let me know and I will get you my stuff. Thanks!"

YES - "Hi Mrs Smith! I plan to go through sorority recruitment this fall at the U of A. I am trying to find women who would consider writing a recommendation for me and was wondering if you're are an alumna of any of the groups on campus. If so, I would love to set up a time to visit with you and give you my resume, etc. i dont have your phone number but feel free to call me at xxx- xxxx. Thank you so much. I look forward to hearing from you.

Last edited by gee_ess; 07-12-2012 at 08:34 PM.
Old 07-12-2012, 08:41 PM
GreekChat Member

Did you go to Arkansas last year?
Old 07-12-2012, 09:09 PM
GreekChat Member

What about your church? Can you ask a few of the ladies if they know of other members that were in a sorority.
Or have your parents ask at work? I was just talking about my D going thru recruitment with a coworker and another coworker heard us and offered to write a rec for D.
Usually once you find one person they will know others. And most ladies are more then willing to help if you ask nicely! And make sure to send a nice thank you note afterwards!
Old 07-12-2012, 09:59 PM
GreekChat Member

Yes, I did go to Arkansas last year. I didn't rush because I wanted to wait a year and get adjusted to life on campus and make sure I could handle it financially.
Most of the sorority girls I know from church are current members. The ones that I have contacted have yet to reply (I do not have their phone numbers). I asked my parents to ask around, but they said they didn't know anyone.
Also, if anyone from Little Rock is on here, I have put my information in the Alumnae Association Masterfile online.

Last edited by tpiazza; 07-12-2012 at 10:22 PM.
Old 07-12-2012, 10:21 PM
GreekChat Member

Do you not have a church directory? I'm just having trouble wrapping my mind around this. Don't ask your parents to ask. Call their friends up yourself. "Hi, Mrs, Smith. This is Susie Jones, Laura's daughter. I'm going to UA and want to go thru sorority recruitment. Were you in a sorority? Do you know anyone that I know that was in one?" etc etc etc. Get the drift? You need to be aggressive.
Old 07-12-2012, 10:24 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DeltaBetaBaby
Quote:
Originally Posted by gee_ess View Post
Okay, if you MUST use Facebook, or email, then make sure your request is gracious and clearly explained.

NO - "Hey, Mrs Smith! How is your summer? I was wondering if you were in a sorority in college. If so, I sure hope you'd write me a rec! Let me know and I will get you my stuff. Thanks!"
Also, I didn't catch if you live in AK, but if you are out-of-state, it's possible some of the women will have no idea what a rec is, so you need to be extra-clear.
Old 07-12-2012, 10:27 PM
GreekChat Member

No, I do not have a church directory either. I also don't have my parents' coworker's numbers. All of the close family friends of my parents have not been involved in a GLO. I am being fairly aggressive when I do get an e-mail or a phone number.
Old 07-12-2012, 10:32 PM
GreekChat Member

It is against the rules for girls who are currently in the chapter to have any contact with you, so I imagine that is why you have not heard from them.

It is good that you have registered with LR but that won't be enough. I agree with Titchou. You need to make the type of phone call she suggested. I am from Arkansas. Based on the size of your high school, you live in an area that definitely has Greek alumni. You cannot depend on your patents to ask for you. You MUST make the calls and, I am not trying to freak you out, but you need to do it TOMORROW. Start with the lady you babysat for in high school, or your boss this summer, or your hs coach, etc.
Old 07-12-2012, 10:37 PM
GreekChat Member

Have you checked for websites for alum groups in Little Rock? I know for a fact we have an alum group there and I am sure they can find someone who knows you. LR is too big not to have enough contacts and too little to not know them. Seriously, I live in Birmingham and right now I can tell you I know women from your area in 2 of the groups at UA. And that's without really thinking about it. It's a small world.
Old 07-12-2012, 10:38 PM
GreekChat Member

It turns out there are still phone directories out there, even on the interweb. Use them.
Old 07-12-2012, 10:41 PM
GreekChat Member

I know I need a lot of recs. I have been trying to get recs for some time now, but haven't had much success. That is why I posted on here looking for a little help. I'm going to try to get phone numbers, but I'm not sure how many I can get.
Old 07-12-2012, 11:01 PM
GreekChat Member

Check the Internet for alum groups in your area. Google something like, Kappa Kappa Gamma alum association Memphis (Filling in with your town or area) Keep in mind that some alum groups are organized by region so they may be called the Northeast Arkansas KKG Alumnae Association.

Then call whatever person pops up. If she is not able to help you, she will put you in touch with someone who can.
Old 07-12-2012, 11:43 PM
GreekChat Member

Deltababydelta - it is actually AR, and not AK. Although there are a good number of us thinking about moving to Alaska to get away from the heat!! It is just a pet peave of some of us arkies to have our state listed as AK.

Gee ess and other Arkansas folks - I have sent a few private messages to this young girl to help guide her in her quest for recommendations.
Old 07-13-2012, 01:17 AM
GreekChat Member

I haven't seen in school directory in almost 20 years - privacy concerns. Which is a bummer because when you start to plan your class reunion, you have NOTHING to go on.
And phone books are becoming less and helpful, since people left and right are dropping their landlines.
Try whitepages.com. If you have an address, check the "address and neighbors" tab. Some people think it's creepy, but for decades there were city directories that listed this publicly-available information. I've been know to check the county tax assessor's office to find property owners.
Also google their name, with the city or state. You never know what might pop up.
And don't be discouraged if they don't answer their Facebook messages. Just yesterday I discovered a who 'nother message list that had messages 3 years old.