GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,124
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, znathanhulzeo24
» Online Users: 1,359
3 members and 1,356 guests
Cookiez17, g41965, JayhawkAOII

Old 08-17-2011, 01:15 PM
GreekChat Member

Rushing as a Sophomore

I go to a small-medium sized southern school (Wake Forest), and we have deferred rush. Due to many circumstances last semester, Formal recruitment did not work out as I'd hoped.

Many (most) of my friends joined sororities, and I'd still like to be a part of my school's greek system. We have both fall (informal) rush and formal rush in the spring. I know that informal rush is a lot less, well, formal (duh) than formal recruitment, but I am also aware that there are fewer spots in each sorority, making it a much more competitive process.

I am faced with two options--fall recruitment and spring recruitment. I would rather do formal recruitment in the spring because I feel as if I would have a better chance at getting one of the houses I want in the Spring. I also would like to use this semester to meet more people and bring my GPA up a few points. However, I'm not sure on Wake's general opinion on sophomores rushing in the Spring. Does anyone know if this is looked down upon? Would I need more recs this year?
I'm a little embarassed to go through formal recruitment again--I know it sounds stupid, but rush was pretty difficult last spring and I just want some input on it before I decide either way.

Any advice from anyone would be much appreciated Thank you so much!
Old 08-17-2011, 09:19 PM

Did you drop out or were you cut from all the groups?

If you are already thinking of the "houses you want" at a competitive campus like WFU, you most likely will not have a successful recruitment - fall OR spring.

If you have close friends in sororities, let them know that you're rushing.
Old 08-17-2011, 10:17 PM
GreekChat Member

i dropped out of the rush process because i was cut from all sororities except 1, and i truly felt uncomfortable at that house. i did not accept a bid or go to pref night. i didn't mean to state that i already have "favorite houses," there is really just one house where i felt extremely uncomfortable and the rest i am happy to keep an open mind about. i have had a few of my upperclassmen friends say that i should rush again, but i know i need to take what they say with a grain of salt. there were a lot of factors that went into why i was cut from some places. i didn't take the time to get to know the sororities last year as i should have, or work extremely hard on my gpa. that is what i was hoping to do this semester.
thanks for your input!
Old 08-18-2011, 09:02 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by deacon14 View Post
i dropped out of the rush process because i was cut from all sororities except 1, and i truly felt uncomfortable at that house. i did not accept a bid or go to pref night. i didn't mean to state that i already have "favorite houses," there is really just one house where i felt extremely uncomfortable and the rest i am happy to keep an open mind about. i have had a few of my upperclassmen friends say that i should rush again, but i know i need to take what they say with a grain of salt. there were a lot of factors that went into why i was cut from some places. i didn't take the time to get to know the sororities last year as i should have, or work extremely hard on my gpa. that is what i was hoping to do this semester.
thanks for your input!
Well, then I don't feel sorry for you. You had the opportunity to join one and you turned it down. Just think, that ONE chapter you turned down (most likely do to be ranked lower) is ranked very high at other universities. If only one sorority wanted you---what makes you think that you deserve a better sorority the next time around? If you didn't have a good GPA and didn't care enough to get to know the sororities (especially the ONE you thought you were too good for), then I don't feel sorry for you. Going Greek at ANY school is an honor.

I just wanted to add that ALL of the NPCs have "higher-ranked" and "lower-ranked" chapters but, my belief remains the same---EVERY NPC has something to offer.
Old 08-18-2011, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by als463 View Post
Well, then I don't feel sorry for you. You had the opportunity to join one and you turned it down.
Actually, they might have dumped her ass after pref. You never know what a group's (or chapter's) membership selection procedures are. She didn't turn down a bid, she quit 2 steps before getting there. If she had truly turned down a bid, half of her question would be moot since she couldn't rerush till next spring anyway.

Pref invite =/= bid
Old 08-18-2011, 10:26 PM

Send a message via AIM to shadokat Send a message via Yahoo to shadokat
my sentiments exactly!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
Actually, they might have dumped her ass after pref. You never know what a group's (or chapter's) membership selection procedures are. She didn't turn down a bid, she quit 2 steps before getting there. If she had truly turned down a bid, half of her question would be moot since she couldn't rerush till next spring anyway.

Pref invite =/= bid
Old 08-18-2011, 09:23 AM
GreekChat Member

Yes, but how do you really feel? Not that I disagree...
Old 08-18-2011, 09:29 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubaiSis View Post
Yes, but how do you really feel? Not that I disagree...
Hahahah, that's why I like you DubaiSis. It could be ANY NPC that she turned down and I still feel like some of these girls who go through recruitment and think they are "too good" for whatever GLO--should really be ashamed of themselves. I am only talking about NPC and not NPHC because they have a different way of joining but, I still think highly of the NPHC, as well. Everyone needs to stop with this, "I didn't feel a connection" b.s. they hand out. We are all intelligent people on this forum. You don't think we can read between the lines? If only ONE chapter called you back--I'm thinking it's not because you "couldn't feel a connection" but, you chose to not return because they weren't popular enough for you.
Old 08-18-2011, 09:35 AM
GreekChat Member

I just want to say that the only reason I came onto this website was for constructive advice on what I should do about my rushing situation. als465, I find your post incredibly assumptive and hurtful. In fact, the sorority I was left with was not one which I deemed "not good enough" in any way--I actually have many friends in that sorority--rather, I did not want to invest time and money (as every sorority requires) in a sorority that did not absolutely make my heart sing, and I do not regret my decision at all--if given the same situation again, I would have done the same thing.
Thank you for your input, but I believe I will be seeking advice on the subject from other sources. Best wishes.
Old 08-18-2011, 09:45 AM
GreekChat Member

Could you do both? Could you do fall informal and if you end up with a bid to a group, you could join and if you don't, you could do formal in the spring? I would get recs in both situations because why not?
Old 08-18-2011, 10:33 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
I just want to say that the only reason I came onto this website was for constructive advice on what I should do about my rushing situation. als465, I find your post incredibly assumptive and hurtful. In fact, the sorority I was left with was not one which I deemed "not good enough" in any way--I actually have many friends in that sorority--rather, I did not want to invest time and money (as every sorority requires) in a sorority that did not absolutely make my heart sing, and I do not regret my decision at all--if given the same situation again, I would have done the same thing.
Thank you for your input, but I believe I will be seeking advice on the subject from other sources. Best wishes.
It didn't make your heart "sing" and that's why you didn't choose to take a bid? I still don't buy it. You have tons of friends in that sorority yet, it wasn't for you? Yeah, it still sounds like the "popularity" factor was what made you choose to not accept a bid. I still don't feel sorry for you.

Here is some constructive advice: Don't whine and cry on an internet forum when you didn't get a bid to a sorority that didn't make your heart "sing" when there are tons of qualified PNMs that are coming on here to share that they weren't even given a bid to anywhere. Those are the girls I feel sorry for! There are tons of women who would have jumped at the chance you had. You chose not to take it and now come on GC to whine that your heart didn't "sing" or something.

If you choose to go somewhere else to talk about how bummed out you are that (while other girls are heartbroken they didn't get a bid ANYWHERE) you only got a bid to ONE sorority that didn't make your heart "sing"--then, that's fine with me! Please, go do that!
Old 08-18-2011, 11:29 AM
GreekChat Member

Read the first post. She didn't whine or complain or bash anyone at all. And it doesn't matter if she was dropped by every sorority or refused to join every sorority except one, she can still rerush if she wants to. She made the decision best for herself and I for one am glad she gave that spot to a girl who really appreciated it. She could have infused her question with past bitterness and immaturity, but she didn't. And she never asked anyone to feel sorry for her.

Last edited by Splash; 08-18-2011 at 11:42 AM.
Old 08-18-2011, 11:42 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to DGTess
Quote:
Originally Posted by Splash View Post
Read the first post. She didn't whine or complain or bash anyone at all. And it doesn't matter if she was dropped by every sorority or refused to join every sorority except one, she can still rerush if she wants to. She made the decision best for herself and I for one am glad she gave that spot to a girl who really appreciated it. She could have infused her question with past bitterness and immaturity, but she didn't.
+1

We all know it's a "mutual" selection process. Mutual means both of them have to have the desire to continue.
Old 08-18-2011, 11:56 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DGTess View Post
+1

We all know it's a "mutual" selection process. Mutual means both of them have to have the desire to continue.
I have to agree here. First off, she didn't receive a bid from the one house (sounds like she got invited to pref and did not go, which I would have advised her to attend just to make sure her mind was made up). Second, had she gone to pref and signed the card (ostensibly they have guaranteed placement, though I don't know for sure) she would have been bound for one year to that house that she was more than unsure about. Thus, she wouldn't be able to go through informal right now.

Furthermore, by withdrawing, she freed up a slot for someone that house did make her "heart sing". I really see nothing wrong with any of it.

OP - I say go for informal and just see what happens!
Old 08-18-2011, 01:27 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Will you also get mad when they give you their opinion as well? You asked for it, and got it, so don't be mad. Not everyone is going to give you a lollipop when you are sad. Go through informal and if it doesn't work out, give formal another shot. You turned down the one sorority that was willing to give you a chance and that is not easily forgotten. They probably won't give you a chance again. You can't be picky when your chances are slim.