GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Recruitment Stories

Recruitment Stories This is the forum where you should place posts about your Recruitment experiences. General questions about Recruitment should be posted in the main Recruitment forum.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,042
Threads: 115,496
Welcome to our newest member, prettyandpearls

Old 08-07-2008, 12:48 AM
GreekChat Member

Small School Recruitment

Anyone interested in a small school recruitment story, circa Spring '04?
Old 08-07-2008, 12:52 AM

yes
Old 08-07-2008, 01:33 AM
GreekChat Member

Drumroll, please...

lol, I hope your "yes" is going to be echoed by others! Since I have free time at the moment and I love the Recruitment Stories forum (I usually go by another screen name that reveals my affiliation), here we go!

First, my ground rules:
1.) I will NOT reveal the geographic location of my school because it will make the school VERY obvious for anyone in the know.
2.) If you figure out the school (and by deduction who I am), congrats, but please don't post it here.
3.) At the end of the thread, I will PM anyone who is interested the code and school name and location.
4.) I'm going to refer to the school as Small School.
5.) Small School's NPC sororities:
Maybelline--a very "girl next door" image
Revlon--definitely the pearls and twinsets image
Stila--the fun-loving, stylish image
Small School also has one NPHC sorority with its own recruitment.

Ok, let's roll!
I graduated from high school in 2003 but already had a year of college under my belt at the same time (I took university courses for high school credit). So, I came to Small School as a freshman with sophomore credit standing. I had a very high GPA, was very active in extracurriculars, and volunteering in high school, but I was never the "popular girl". I was always more of a wallflower. I come from a family with NO Greek life connections (except for a grandmother who desperately wanted to be a member of a certain GLO, but was barred from doing so because she lived off-campus--this was the Midwest in the '40's) and I was basically clueless about Greek life and recruitment.

I LOVED Small School. It was the perfect opportunity for me to open up and step out of my shell. For the first time in my life, I had a slew of friends, a social schedule that was hectic to say the least, and a very *exciting* dating life. One of my new close friends, I'm going to call her Coco (for Coco Chanel :-)) and I became fast friends with several affiliated girls and guys--three in the same sorority, one from another, and most of the guys from the same fraternity. Coco's sister was in a sorority at another school, but Small School did not have that GLO.

Small School has formal recruitment in the Spring (well, January actually). In late November, they held a Greek Life open house and Coco and I decided to go. Despite receiving admonishment from my family for even considering going Greek (my mom is an alum of one of the big schools in Florida from the '70s and she had very negative experiences/perceptions of sororities. She was definitely GDI all the way!), I decided to give it a whirl. Coco; however, did not. Her boyfriend at the time was opposed to her pledging and for whatever reason she decided not to go through recruitment (don't worry, you'll hear more about Coco later ;-)). I paid my money and went home for Winter break.

All break, my family teased me about even thinking of pledging, but I did my homework. I was very impressed by the number of Greek women in Congress, on the Supreme Court, in high positions in every company and field. I was nervous that, while it might be right for me, no sorority would want geeky ol' me. Finally, I returned from break (early for recruitment).
Old 08-07-2008, 02:18 AM
GreekChat Member

Night 1:

The first night was the meet up with our RX's and dispensing of crucial information. We were also split into our "basic" recruitment groups. I was surprised to see how FEW girls I actually knew going through recruitment. Small School is VERY small--I thought I knew everyone. lol, I guess not.

As I said, Coco decided to not go through. Two older girls I kind of knew through extracurriculars ended up in my group (sigh of relief). Let's call them L'Oreal and Burts Bees. A girl I was friends with, Wet'n'Wild, was going through...or, thought she was...Turned out her grades were just not going to make the minimum GPA for recruitment. :-( My roommate, CoverGirl, was going through (yay!), but we weren't really friends. A few other acquaintances and friends were going through, including Avon.

After the meeting, I went back to my dorm and tried to chill out. I was SO nervous. CoverGirl (I think she was more confident than I was) and I kept going back and forth on outfit choices for the next night. Clothes settled, I spent the rest of the evening freaking out in my boyfriend's dorm (he wasn't going Greek, though I still think he would have been perfect for any house). Coco and I ended up hanging out a bit, since she was also over at her boy's dorm. I could tell she was really sad that she wasn't going through, though. :-(

Last edited by greyhoundrescue; 08-07-2008 at 01:29 PM.
Old 08-07-2008, 02:21 AM
GreekChat Member

Night 1 Wrap Up

At this point in the game, my (mental) rankings were:

Maybelline and Revlon were tied.
I was pretty sure I was not a future Stila.

hmm, who knows? *eyebrow waggle* and evil laugh.
Old 08-07-2008, 07:16 AM
Super Moderator

i love your code names.
Old 08-07-2008, 01:21 PM
GreekChat Member

Night 2:

The next night was Ice Water Night and we were told to wear our Recruitment shirts (thankfully they were long-sleeve!) and khakis. I don't remember much about my outfits for the other nights, actually.

At Small School, recruitment isn't held at Houses, instead the sororities rotate rooms in different parts of campus each night, until Pref which is held off-campus (usually). Earlier that day, I had to go to my mailbox to get my invites, of which, of course there were three--except for grades, no one can be cut before Round 1. That evening, I met up with my recruitment group and we lined up for our mystery tour of campus. I'm not 100% on the order I went to each GLO, but I'll do my best.

Revlon: I knew several of these girls and they had the most adorable songs! I felt very comfortable talking with them and seeing them helped calm my nerves, just a bit. :-) They were great to talk to and a lot of their questions had to do with school.

Stila: I hardly knew any of these girls. Thinking back, I'm not sure I really gave them a fair chance, but they were the girls who seemed most in sync with each other, if that makes sense?

Maybelline: I also knew several of these girls. Their entrance (which would definitely give the sorority away, sorry) was memorable but also slightly scary at the time--all that clapping! I think I talked to the most girls at this one and they were very interested in my volunteering.

After all three, we returned to our meeting spot and information about where to meet for the next night and when to expect our invites was disseminated.

I spent that evening fretting about getting cut. Somehow, in my mind, I think I thought no one would want me and I would open my mailbox to find no invites.
Old 08-07-2008, 01:28 PM
GreekChat Member

Night 2 Wrap Up

At this point in the game, my ranking hadn't really changed:

Revlon and Maybelline were still tied
Stila

My friends and I decided not tell each other which ones we liked and didn't like until after Pref, so I (and I'm sure they) tried to guess who would go where:

Avon, either Revlon or Stilla
L'Oreal, maybe Revlon or Maybelline
Burts Bees, probably Maybelline
CoverGirl, could've gone to any of them, really

PS: Just curious, anyone think they know which way I will go?
Old 08-07-2008, 01:31 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by greyhoundrescue View Post
PS: Just curious, anyone think they know which way I will go?
Hmmm...my guess is Stila!

More please!
Old 08-07-2008, 10:43 PM
GreekChat Member

Night 3:

After the second night, I was, as I said very nervous and really thought I wouldn't get a single invite back. So, when I opened my mailbox the next night, I was pleasantly surprised to see that I was invited back to all three. Definitely a sigh of relief was had!

I scurried back to my dorm and tried to put together a decent outfit (I don't know about anyone else, but I think I really used my clothing as the focus of my nerves). Satisfied that I looked cute, I went to the designated meetup spot and I got in line for our trek across campus. Again, in no particular order:

Stila: This was the least impressive of the three. I think their philanthropy is great, but it didn't really speak to me and, I don't know why, I just didn't feel like I fit in here. I tried to give them the benefit of the doubt, but I'm not sure I gave them my all.

Maybelline: For the first time during recruitment, I was matched with a girl I knew very well. We did an easy craft and talked a lot. The only one of the three without a video. I really enjoyed this night.

Revlon: They were so peppy! I really enjoyed talking to the girl I was matched with and their philanthropy was interesting.

I was, of course, more nervous than ever by the end of this night!
Old 08-07-2008, 10:46 PM
GreekChat Member

Night 3 Wrap Up

Going into the 4th night, it looked like this:

Revlon
Maybelline
Stila (still holding at third)

One is going to drop me for Skit Night, which one?
Old 08-07-2008, 11:03 PM
GreekChat Member

I'm going to guess you go back to Stila and Revlon for skit night and end up in Revlon
Old 08-08-2008, 12:19 AM
GreekChat Member

my guess is

Ditto with jayneelizabeth
Old 08-08-2008, 12:24 AM
GreekChat Member

Maybe it's Maybelline... (can't get that lil jingle out of my head while reading this one)
Old 08-08-2008, 01:00 AM
GreekChat Member

Night 4:

Wait and see, ladies, wait and see! btw, the jingle is NOW in my head too, whoops!

The fourth night was Skit Night and I remember wearing a very cute skirt with a sweater. When I got to my mailbox, I found out that I was invited back to two parties:

Revlon
Maybelline

Frankly, I wasn't really sad Stila had cut me. I just was never going to be a Stila. I was happy, though, that my two favorites were still on slate.

We lined up and went tromping around campus for the parties.

Maybelline: Wow! Can I say energy?!? These girls put on a great show with a ton of singing, dancing, and more of that clapping from before.I was matched with a girl I knew, which was nice. This was the first time all week I was tapped on the shoulder as we were leaving with the, "I really hope to see you at Pref".

Revlon: Their skit was adorable! Honestly, best skit I've ever seen and I survived a decade of spending the whole summer at Girl Scout camp! This time I was paired with a girl I knew very well. At one point she asked me (kow I know this was a MAJOR no-no) how strongly I felt about Revlon. I got the impression she was trying to say I had a bid if I wanted one, but if I didn't, to let her know. I felt uncomfortable to say the least, so I remember mumbling something like, "oh, wow, you ladies are all so great! I think I will be happy no matter what happens." hmmm, yeah, probably not the smartest response there, but I could honestly not think of a way to answer with out it coming off bad.

I didn't head straight back to my dorm, because I was WIRED! Goodness, I'm sure I drove my boyfriend insane that week!

Last edited by greyhoundrescue; 08-08-2008 at 01:07 AM.