GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Recruitment Stories

Recruitment Stories This is the forum where you should place posts about your Recruitment experiences. General questions about Recruitment should be posted in the main Recruitment forum.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,042
Threads: 115,496
Welcome to our newest member, prettyandpearls
» Online Users: 2,262
1 members and 2,261 guests
No Members online

Old 08-03-2018, 02:42 PM
GreekChat Member

A Friendly Old School Recruitment

Hey guys! I post on here under another name, but figured with recruitment just around the bend I would put up my (sort of) retro recruitment story. You may be able to figure out who my alterego is and where I went, but figured I’d take a shot an anonymity!

I went to a small school (3,000 undergrads) with a big greek life for the size and location (about 1/3 of students were greek) so recruitment was fairly competitive. I went through in the early/mid 2000s and our recruitment was deferred until January. We had 4 NPC chapters (one had just colonized in the fall), one local sorority and one engineering sorority that all participated in formal recruitment. Quota was determined by the number invited back to pref divided by 5 (the engineering sorority did not count), but there was no RFM, no QA and we were not guaranteed a bid even if we maximized our options. Quota was 22 (total was around 80-90 during my 4 years).

Friends was big at the time, so please enjoy my tale of recruitment with:

Phoebe
Monica
Joey
Rachel
Chandler
Ross

Our schedule was:
Saturday, Day 1 – Open House, all 6 chapters (25 min)
Sunday, Day 2 – Philanthropy, all 6 chapters (35 min)
Saturday, Day 3 – Third Party, up to 4 chapters (45 min)
Sunday, Day 4 – Pref, up to 2 chapters (60 min)

Every sorority had a house or dorm floor, but they were spread across campus, and it was January, so recruitment took place in our student center with each chapter in a different room.

I’m still not entirely sure how I got a through it because though my dad was in a fraternity in the 70s, greek life was not big in my friend group and family so I did not come into it with ANY idea of what to expect or do at the parties. Also, I was a swimmer and we had meets on day 1 and day 3 of recruitment so I wasn’t able to attend half the parties (there were 5 of us from the team going through, and there were 3 basketball players and a couple indoor track runners that were in the same situation).

My orientation leader was a Phoebe, my RA had joined Rachel during their colonization in the fall, and a girl 1 year ahead of me in high school was a Monica, but because swimming took up A LOT of my time in the fall and no actives were on the team, I didn’t know much about the chapters beyond the stereotypes freshmen pick up here and there. Also, facebook was just getting started and myspace was still sort of a thing, so there wasn’t a lot of rumor mongering about the chapters going on online (the good old days).

So sit back and enjoy me demonstrating things not to do during recruitment!

Last edited by Storytime!; 08-03-2018 at 03:00 PM.
Old 08-03-2018, 02:52 PM
GreekChat Member

Week of:

The Friday before recruitment started we met our Rho Chis and groups of the first time. At that time the Rho Chis were recently graduated alums that disaffiliated (which was actually nice on the chapter side because we didn’t have to lose a bunch of sisters), but it was a little harder to connect to them as a freshman asking for advice. One great thing the Rho Chis do was dress in what you should for the next day which calmed my fears some, but I was really nervous that I was missing both Saturdays and wasn’t going to get a bid anywhere. They went over how the two weekends will work, how we will do our rankings, and not much else.

In addition to the 4 other girls from the team, my roommate N and 4 of my closest friends A, J, E, and L, were going through as well, and L was in my Rho Chi group. One of my teammates was an in-house legacy to Monica and J was an in-house legacy to Chandler, and all but one of my teammates were freshman (the other was a sophomore who hadn’t rushed the year before). I went through my notes and think I have their invites correct, if any of them ever read this (and I’m sure they’ll recognize my unique situation), I apologize if I missed some!

I went home and packed my stuff to head to the pool the next morning, wondering what these two weekends would be like.

Last edited by Storytime!; 08-03-2018 at 03:00 PM.
Old 08-03-2018, 03:40 PM
GreekChat Member

Day 1 (25 minute parties)

I was at the pool bright an early for warm up, and if you’ve never been to a swim meet, as a sprinter there is a lot of sitting around with some warm up and cool down and then 25-60 seconds of competing, so there was a lot of tent talk going on. We thought we were so smart, even in the absence of actual experiences or information. PNM lesson: You will see how these perceptions may have affected my invites.

Phoebe was the sweet but quirky girls, they had a decent number of strong members (my orientation leader was on homecoming court), but they also had some more random socially awkward members. They were known for having a good sisterhood and a fun philanthropy event, and had their own house rather than being in a dorm.

Monica was one of the most desired chapters along the pretty/sweet/bubbly side. They had a lot of athletes and campus leaders and put a lot of effort into winning things like homecoming and greek week. Had the highest GPA on campus and had their own house, but didn’t have a well-known philanthropy event.

Joey was the other most desired chapter along the hot/partying/social side. They had the outgoing fun reputation, were involved in a lot around campus, and had the hands down most popular philanthropy event that got a lot of greek and non-greek participation. Had a lot of nursing majors at the time, and had their own house though it was further from campus.

Rachel was the newest chapter on campus, having just colonized in the fall. The upperclassmen they initiated as their first class were really sweet girls, and I liked my RA a lot. We weren’t really sure what to think about them, but because they were colonizing they would be taking a large pledge class so it felt like a safety net with us missing two days. They were going to be in a dorm and it wasn’t known how many sisters could live there.

Chandler was the local chapter, and they were seen as really genuine and down to earth, but quieter and not super social. I saw someone describe them as everyone's future favorite eccentric professor and though we didn’t describe them that way at the time it fits. They had a couple of very outgoing members (I had dated a Sigma Chi at the time and their sweetheart was an awesome Chandler), but a lot of their members were quieter. They lived in a dorm space.

Ross was a national engineering sorority. Even though my campus had a lot of engineers, they had very small numbers and an academic and intense reputation. Only one on the team rushing was an engineer, so we didn’t spend much time talking about them. They had a small house on campus.

I don’t remember if we won the meet, but I was soooooooooooo antsy to get to Day 2!

Last edited by Storytime!; 08-03-2018 at 04:24 PM.
Old 08-03-2018, 04:42 PM
GreekChat Member

Day 2- Philanthropy (35 min parties) and Skit

It was finally here! I could actually go to recruitment! My roommate and friends had been bubbling non-stop about the first day. They all loved Monica, but Phoebe had a lot of positive buzz too. J had been rushed by her sister who was an active at Chandler and was bummed that she didn’t meet more people she hadn’t grown up with, but it was just the first day.

I wore tan corduroy pants, a black long sleeve top, and black boots, and for some reason I wore my glasses that I hardly ever wear. I had straightened my hair that morning in a way I hadn’t done before and it didn’t look right until I put my glasses on, so I went with it. PNM lesson: do not try out a new hairstyle the morning of recruitment. Also, if you don’t usually wear your glasses don’t wear them that day as people who might have recognized you from class or a group or something may not if you’re wearing something they’ve never seen you in.

Three Rho Chi groups were put together and went to all of the chapters. Our order was:

Ross
Phoebe
Joey
Chandler
Monica
Rachel

All of the chapters would have a skit and some sort of activity related to their philanthropy. I’ll keep the details general if it would give away the chapter:

Ross- As the smallest chapter and the since they only take engineers they had the engineer PNMs go in first where they talked three PNMs to one sister and the non-engineers go in second and we talked about 5 or 6 PNMs to one sister, which makes sense. They couldn’t cut anyone until after the second day so they had to see all of us no matter what. I don’t remember what their activity and skit was, but because it was so many of us to one sister we mostly just chatted among ourselves.

Phoebe- This was my first step into a full on recruitment party. The sisters were lined up in two rows on either side of the door singing and clapping, and when I came in I was not sure if I should look left or right, and missed the sister trying to greet me and wandered in a bit. I was mortified when she tapped me on the shoulder, but it was a funny conversation starter. My campus had not gone full on no-frills at this time (there was a set budget per party, but things the sorority already owned like table clothes didn’t count, and as recruitment director later I discovered $.50/yd tulle at Walmart and learned you could do a lot of decorating with 40 yards of tulle, so parties were pretty frilly in terms of food and décor). Phoebe had a huge balloon sculpture/arch related to their philanthropy that to this day impresses me. With that and the clapping and singing, and everything I was a little overwhelmed at my first party.

I had a fine conversation with the first active I talked to (major, activities, etc.), and my orientation leader (the chapter president) swung by to say hi (and added she didn’t know I wore glasses…. Guys seriously, do not add something notable to your look at recruitment), but I really, really clicked with the second active I talked to. She and I both did musical theater in high school, and had cats growing up, and we had such an easy and great conversation. The parties were only 35 min, so with the skit it flew by. Phoebe does a really fun and funny major philanthropy event so talking about that was really entertaining. I couldn’t believe that the party was over so quickly and really liked Phoebe a lot.

Joey- I was an 18 year old girl and just wanted to be liked by the cool kids of Joey, and I now know that many of the things I did were no-nos. I was more used to the singing clapping lines of actives and didn’t wander past my greeter, but was thrown for a new loop when she grabbed the PNM behind me as well. So I was double rushed by a sophomore in my major, which gave us something to talk about. But the conversation was not going that smoothly, possibly because I was trying too hard, possibly because the other PNM was not an English major... I don’t know. I can’t tell you what the craft was because it would give away their philanthropy, but I did not do well at it and the active had to keep fixing my mistakes, which was horrifying me. PNM lesson: I did what no PNM should do, I brought up booze and boys. Don't do that. I was just trying so hard to seem like I would fit in with Joey, that I was stepping in it left and right. The active steered away from it, but look back on myself and cringe.

She was bumped by the active who would be the pledge mom and we went over to have some cookies and conversation before the skit. She was really nice (like any good pledge mom should be), and their skit was cute. I got to talk to one last sister for a couple of minutes as the party ended, and then I stepped in it a third time- I tried to take my cookies out of the room with me because I hadn’t had time to eat them while chatting and I was hungry (swimmers need a lot of fuel). She almost had to pull me back into the room to grab the cookies out of my hand. PNMs, do not be me at Joey, do not try to squish yourself into what you think they want. Be you, you may be their perfect sister! I had good conversations with 2 of the 3 sisters I talked to, and I wanted Joey to like me so much, but I had a feeling I didn’t do well there.

Chandler- Recovering from my really stellar performance at Joey, I at least had Chandler which typically didn’t make quota so in my cocky little 18 year old brain I told myself I couldn’t mess up here. The sister who picked me up was actually J’s older sister who I had met a couple of times and was really sweet. Because they have lower numbers she had me and two other PNMs at the same time. She did a pretty good job keeping the conversation going with us, but the sister who bumped in after the skit was very quiet and we ended up talking amongst ourselves more than with her while we did our craft. Because they are a local, their philanthropy is a local one and their big fundraiser is a male beauty pageant so we tried asking a lot of questions about that, but she was not into the conversation. The last sister we talked to at least engaged us, but it was with questions about our majors and what dorms we lived in so it felt kind of flat. I wanted to give Chandler a fair shot because of J’s sister, but also my 18 year old I just want to be cool brain was using the “didn’t feel a connection” excuse to shade a house that wasn’t very popular.

Monica- I am more naturally like the Monicas than the Joeys so though I really wanted the other “cool” chapter to like me and was trying really hard again, it wasn’t as much of an act. As with many of the more popular chapters on all campuses, they were good recruiters and made you feel like they love you. I was one on one, and the first active I talked to was a former swimmer from a town near my hometown so we had a ton to talk about. The next active I did the craft with had just got engaged so she was gushing about that, but we had a really funny conversation about our shared love of coloring. The third sister and I a great conversation about The West Wing (we were both junkies) and how we wanted to work in politics but didn’t know what major would be best to do that (she was poli sci and psych double major, I was poli sci and English double major). Their skit was super cute and I honestly don’t remember what their philanthropy fundraiser was because it changed the next year, but I had good conversations and really felt comfortable with the sisters I talked to. I came into the party wanting to love the Monicas and I left loving them (along with many many other PNMs).

Rachel- This was the new colony on campus and they only had 9 upperclass members from their fall recruitment so they brought in a bunch of actives from nearby chapters to help out. They had these helper sisters pick up the PNMs and do the traditional bump group while the 9 sisters floated around and talked to all of the PNMs. I had a great conversation with the actives from the other chapters, and got to talk to my RA and another sister who it turned out I had a poli sci class with (she didn’t recognize me at first because of the glasses), but I felt like it was hard to judge what the chapter would be like without getting to spend much time with my actual future sisters. Nationally this chapter has a very strong philanthropy so they showed a national video which made it look like it would be fun to be a part of on my campus. They did a short skit with all of the upperclassmen that would be in the chapter which made it easy to now recognize them in the sea of other actives. The idea of being a founding member of a chapter was really cool, but I also didn’t know if it would provide me the sorority experience I was looking for while it really got established and going. I left thinking that I wasn’t in love with the chapter but wouldn’t mind coming back and learning more.

The day was long and overwhelming and now we had to rank the chapters. I’m a pretty quick decision maker in general, but it only took me 20 or 30 minutes to decide to list them as:

Monica
Phoebe
Joey
Rachel
Chandler
Ross

My biggest decision was whether to list Phoebe or Joey second. I had an amazing party at Phoebe and felt I fit in really well, but the immature part of my brain wanted to be with the super popular Joeys.

Across my friends Monica and Phoebe got good reviews, and a number of them had much better experiences at Joey than I did. We still all were wondering what joining Rachel would be like, not having the support of 60+ upperclass sisters. Now onto a week of school and practice!
Old 08-03-2018, 11:44 PM
GreekChat Member

Great story. Lots of details. Keep it going!
Old 08-04-2018, 09:04 AM
GreekChat Member

I'm really enjoying this one! I love the perspective you are giving and the candidness in how you thought of each of the chapters. Great advice about not changing your appearance for recruitment and WONDERFUL advice regarding your experience at JOEY.
Old 08-04-2018, 11:56 AM
GreekChat Member

I'm loving your story (including the names you've used)! Just the right amount of info and told in a very descriptive way. Keep sharing!
Old 08-06-2018, 08:09 AM
GreekChat Member

Day 3 (45 minute parties)

Chapters typically showed a sisterhood video and/or had sisters talk about what the chapter meant during this party.

All of us swimmers had to stop by in the morning to see our invites for the day and rank them for our pref invites. For whatever reason, we hoped that we could stop by the sororities we were invited back to in person before our meet, but whether we didn’t ask about this ahead of time or no one disabused us of this notion, I can’t remember. So we went to the pool for warm-ups, did our hair makeup and got dressed up, and ran over to the student center where they gave us our cards and said in no uncertain terms that we could not stop by the chapters before our meet. All of that work for nothing… oh well!

I came back, and for the 4 parties I had:

Rachel
Monica

I was shocked. I only had 2, and I didn’t have Phoebe on my list! I had such a great connection there. Was it that I missed the first day? Did they not think the conversations were as good as I did? And nothing from Chandler or Joey? I didn’t do great at Joey, but I thought I had done better at Chandler. PNM lesson: Looking back, it was that I tried too hard to fit the Joey personality and because I thought I was “too cool” for Chandler I’m sure that came across in my conversations and who wants to invite back someone that doesn’t seem to want to be there. Also, missing one of the days could not have helped.

My decision on which 2 chapters I’d like to go back to for pref was easy, so I ranked them:

Monica
Rachel

My friends’ invites were:

J had Ross, Chandler, Phoebe and Joey
A had Rachel, Chandler, Joey and Phoebe
E had Rachel, Joey, Phoebe and Monica
L had Chandler, Joey, Rachel, and Monica
N had Monica, Chandler, Ross and Phoebe

I went back to the swim meet, and had to spend the day worrying that if so many cut me after Day 2, would I have any for pref? My Rho Chi would call me that night if I had no invites back, and I was a mess waiting. Luckily, 9pm came and went and no phone calls came, so I had at least one invite back!

J’s boyfriend was a Junior in XYZ fraternity, and the homecoming king, and was telling her that Joey was really the best chapter for her, and that she shouldn’t go for her other chapters. He was not a great guy, and I think he didn’t want a girlfriend in Ross, Phoebe or Chandler. Boys suck, and should keep their noses out of a decision that will not affect them in any way. PNM lesson: your boyfriend is not going to go to chapter meetings, sisterhood events, work on recruitment, share the joy of big/little revealing, live in the house, or watch Keeping Up With the Kardashians in someones bed with you, but your sisters will. Make your decision based on those things, not some fraternity guy's opinion. If he's the right guy for you, he'll still take you to football games and date parties and formal no matter what letters you wear!

My roommate N was making a similar decision, but entirely self-driven. She decided that she only wanted to be a Monica, and just knew that it was the right place for her after today and that they had such a connection she could not see being anywhere else. I’m sure we tried to talk her out of this, but I’m also sure we didn’t know enough about the system to really make a good argument.

Last edited by Storytime!; 08-06-2018 at 12:18 PM. Reason: Checked with J and she set some invites striaght
Old 08-06-2018, 08:25 AM
GreekChat Member

Day 4 – Pref (60 min parties)

I was freaking out after only getting back two the day before. I knew I had at least one chapter because I hadn’t gotten the dreaded call. I told myself that Rachel was a great opportunity, but I had knots in my stomach at the thought of not seeing Monica on my card. I was wearing grey wool pants and a black turtleneck sweater style thing (it was dressier than it sounds) with black heels. PNMs, I typically recommend wearing a dress to pref, but swimmers stop shaving their legs from October to about March when championships roll around, so a dress was not an option for me (some pledging events that required a dress also required several pairs of nude tights). I opened my card and it read

Rachel
Monica

I had both chapters back!!!!!!!!!!!!! There was still a chance that I could be a Monica! I don’t think I’ve ever felt relief like this before in my life. I was also excited to get to know the Rachel’s from my campus better since I hadn’t spent much time with them during the Philanthropy round.

My friends cards were:

J had Chandler and Joey
A had Joey and Phoebe
E had Phoebe and Monica
L had Rachel and Monica
N had Monica and Chandler

Rachel- I was again paired with a sister from a nearby chapter while the sisters from my school walked around talking to all of the PNMs. I had the best conversation with the active from the other chapter. I really loved her. If I had been at her school I 1000% would have wanted to be a Rachel and have her as my big. But the conversations I had with the actives from my school when they came by were not as great. They were sweet girls, and most of them were really involved on campus, but there were too many unknowns about how the chapter would turn out for me to really be excited about Rachel. Their pref ceremony left me teary, and I left feeling like if ended up here it would be a good place to be, but just wasn’t excited.

Monica- I was picked up by a junior that I hadn’t met before who was one of the most beautiful women ever. We had such a sweet conversation about their sisterhood and how she made her decision to be a Monica. She had gotten sick and had to spend a couple days in the hospital just after her bid day, and talked about how sisters she had barely met would stop by the and sent notes and flowers making sure she didn't feel like she was missing out on the new member activities. Their pref ceremony was so moving, and though I won’t describe the specifics, I cried. This wasn't a hard choice for me- I wanted to be a Monica.

I filled out my card:

Monica
Rachel

And signed to be a sister. I was still upset that I didn’t get a chance to be a Phoebe, but I was happy with these two as my possible next home.

The campus did not have QA yet, so you weren’t guaranteed a bid even if you maximized your options, but as quota was set based on pref numbers, most women got a bid (I think one gal who had Joey and Monica in my dorm did not get a bid, but she was COB’d by Rachel into their new member class).

Last edited by Storytime!; 08-06-2018 at 09:20 AM.
Old 08-06-2018, 08:39 AM
GreekChat Member

The Night before Bid Day

We would get a phone call by 9pm if we didn't receive a bid, so all of us hung around together with our phones watching TV and avoiding the guys in our building who thought it was silly how nervous we were. As the time ticked by we got more excited... it looked like we 'd all have letters tomorrow! But then N's phone rang. She had SIP'd Monica, sure that they loved her as much as she loved them. I remember begin amazed and a little shocked at her confidence going into Pref; maybe because of my big cuts or maybe because I had missed two days I wasn't taking anything for granted. But N had a full card the whole time, and felt certain about this.

Her Rho Chi called to let her know that she had not received a bid from Monica, but that Chandler and Rachel were offering her snap bids if she would like one. She turned both down, and we didn't see her for the rest of the night.

The remaining 4 of us had listed both chapters, and none of us got a call, so we all had a bid to pick up tomorrow! We were all nervous wrecks who had to function through a day of classes though. Strict Silence began the moment we left our last pref party, so our RA was staying at a sister's suite and our RD was on our floor for the night. To make sure that none of the sisters talked to the PNMs every woman wears letters around campus that night and the whole next day, and it’s amazing to see just how many greek women were around. It gets you really excited to be a part of a chapter, and it was one of my favorite parts of recruitment as a member.

Last edited by Storytime!; 08-06-2018 at 04:41 PM.
Old 08-06-2018, 09:31 AM
GreekChat Member

Bid Day!

We could pick up and accept our bid cards from the GLO anytime after 1pm, but I had classes until 3 or 4. Bid day parties would be at the chapter houses at 7pm when strict silence ends. I spent the day wishing and hoping to open my envelope and see Monica, but also telling myself that if I got Rachel I would be fine. It’s been a long time, but I still remember the feeling of butterflies in my stomach all day and walking up to the GLO office. They dug through and pulled out my bid card and when I opened the envelope it said….

MONICA!!!!!!!

Otherwise known as Phi Mu!

I definitely made some kind of noise, and when the GLO director asked if I accepted my bid I screamed of course! I still have my bid card and am tearing up a bit remembering my joy when I opened it.

Everyone else was:

Phoebe – A, one of my teammates
Monica – Me, L, E, and two of my teammates
Joey – One of my teammates
Chandler – J
Ross – One of my teammates, who ended up not accepting her bid
Old 08-06-2018, 09:48 AM
GreekChat Member

Epilouge

Rachel boomed after their founding. They took 17 new members in their first FR (quota was 22; Irishpipes’ records don’t go back that far so thank you facebook!) and COB’d some great PNMs that did not bid match because there was no QA then. They initiated 38 members that spring (9 from fall colonization, 17 from FR, and 12 from COB), and I think they took at or near quota the next three years and are doing really well on the campus today.

Ross is still going, and both the national chapter and the one on my campus offer an amazing program and supportive sisterhood, but they have had numbers issues for a while. Two other swimmers who hadn’t rushed joined Ross after FR during COB and loved their time there.

Chandler is doing okay. On my campus there will always be some women for whom Chandler is the perfect place, and because they are a local they have a very involved alumnae network. J went on to be chapter president, and her younger sister joined the family when she came through recruitment two years after us. And her relationship ended with the a%^&*(+ boyfriend who tried to convince her to only go Joey and she was all the better for it. PNM lesson: seriously, do not let a guy’s opinion sway your decision on where you will spend a large part of your college life and group you will be involved with forever.

Phoebe is still doing well, and A, who still lives near our school, is involved as an alum adviser. They are a great group of women and the year I rushed had a great pledge class.

My teammate who pledged Joey dropped after a couple of weeks deciding that sorority life wasn’t for her. They are still strong on campus, though I think they have a smaller nursing contingent now.

Between my friends and my teammates, I went into Monica with four close friends already in my pledge class. I won’t get too mushy here, but Phi Mu was where I found my voice. For the first time in my life, they told me I should be a leader and gave me the opportunities and support to do it. I was on exec, a member of Order of Omega, a greek life orientation guide, a risk management instructor, headed greek week events, and am still involved as an alum in both my chapter and Panhel. I literally do not think I would have been as successful in my career if I hadn’t joined a sorority. PNM lesson: the combination of the independence that comes in college and having strong women as your peers pushing you to try new things is an amazing opportunity, and why I recommend greek life to every collegiate woman.

I learned as a sister that Monica votes on their final bid list before pref (not sure if they still do this) as the list had to be turned in like 2 hours after the final party, so the connection I made to the former swimmer sister, the avid coloring sister, and the west wing fan sister (and the fact that a girl from my high school was in the chapter) made the difference for me. PNM lesson: practice your conversation! A couple of bad or good ones can make the difference!

Finally, when my roommate N SIP’d Monica and didn’t get a bid, and I did, it started the downfall of our relationship (there were some other things that happened later in the semester too). I tried to keep my sorority stuff and joy out of the room as much as possible, but sisters are going to decorate next to your door, and you want to put letters in your window. Even though she didn’t take their snap bid, she did accept a COB bid to Chandler eventually (having J in the pledge class with her helped I think) where she went on to enjoy sorority life. We reconnected later in college, but it was never going to be the same. PNM lesson: I know it’s hard, but try not to talk too much about what houses you get back because you never know who had her heart set on those houses that may (right or wrong) hold it against you. There isn’t anything you can do about it after bid day, and on that note, JUST DON’T SIP. N, who was sure she had a bid to Monica and swore up and down she would rather not be Greek than be anything but a Monica, took a bid to her other pref chapter anyway, missed the fun of bid day and caused So. Much. Drama. Even with QA, she wouldn’t have been a Monica because Chandler offered her a bid. Now, would she have lost Monica earlier under RFM? We’ll never know, but these situations are where RFM helps because the more popular chapters have to break hearts before SIP becomes a possibility.

The campus has added a number of other chapters since I went through and greek life seems to be doing well. I have some reservations about whether they jumped the shark on colonizing a new one recently, but according to Irishpipe's records quota is about where it was in my years even with more chapters, and most hit quota last year.

I hope you all enjoyed my recruitment story as much as I enjoyed digging through facebook, scrapbooks and my notes to remind myself of all of the drama and fun of that year! Greek life is still strong on my campus, and it makes me happy to see my chapter doing well.

Last edited by Storytime!; 08-06-2018 at 04:51 PM.
Old 08-06-2018, 10:14 AM
GreekChat Member

Great story and thanks so much for all the great detail, love that!! If you can what house was Rachel? Curious to know.... now that its all over would love to know.

In any case so very happy for you and that your experience was such a positive one!!
Old 08-06-2018, 11:47 AM
GreekChat Member

Smile

Rachel was Delta Gamma, which is a great chapter both on my campus and nationwide. I tore my rotator cuff which ended my swimming career after my freshman year and I joined the dance team which was full of Delta Gammas and one of my favorite people in my major (she was a year ahead of me) was Delta Gamma, so I'm sure if I had ended up there I would have fit right in! It's true that even though as a PNM you feel like you have little control, you usually end up with the choices that are best for you! It somehow always works out...

Last edited by Storytime!; 08-06-2018 at 12:21 PM.
Old 08-06-2018, 03:12 PM
GreekChat Member

Thanks for sharing your story, and including the details of your friends as well! It's always interesting to see how one person's preference is different than another's.