GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,122
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, haledarkz870
» Online Users: 1,660
0 members and 1,660 guests
No Members online

Old 07-03-2003, 11:40 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by enlightenment06
Yellow Tea Rose, anyone else? Anyone? Anyone?

Bueller? Bueller?

Anyone?
The NPC sorority Sigma Delta Tau uses the yellow tea rose. Alpha Sigma Tau (NPC sorority), Alpha Kappa Lambda and Kappa Delta Phi (both NIC fraternities) all use the yellow rose, although I don't think any of them specify the tea rose.

Quote:
Originally posted by MysticCat81

Does anyone else use the chrysanthemum as their flower? We're the only GLO I've ever known of that does.
According to ariesrising's site, Phi Kappa Sigma uses the yellow crysanthemum. Her website is a great resource for anybody who wants to know more about other organizations:

http://www.geocities.com/ariesrising...ionalorgs.html
Old 07-04-2003, 06:00 PM
GreekChat Member

I used to always get Kappa Sigma and Sigma Kappa mixed up. I know that Tri- Sigma share the same flower with Sigma Kappa. I also know that a lot of GLO have the pearl as a jewel... to think of few Delta Sigma Theta, I think DZ, Sigma Kappa and Tri- Sigma.... I may have some wrong names but yall get my drift.
Old 07-04-2003, 06:17 PM
GreekChat Member

Did anyone mention that ADPi and Phi Mu were both founded at Wesleyan College in Macon, GA? Chi Omega shares the pearl with a lot of other orgs. And the owl with KKG, but I don't think that there are many other similarities with other orgs. Somebody else uses the white carnation don't they? Hmmmmm
Old 07-04-2003, 06:36 PM

Pi Phi and KKG are Monmouth Duo, ZTA, ASA, KD and SSS are the Farmville Four, Phi Mu and ADPi have the Macon, GA thing going on.

Loads of "Triads" in the men's groups, etc. etc. etc.
Old 07-04-2003, 09:07 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to enlightenment06
Quote:
Originally posted by sugar and spice
The NPC sorority Sigma Delta Tau uses the yellow tea rose. Alpha Sigma Tau (NPC sorority), Alpha Kappa Lambda and Kappa Delta Phi (both NIC fraternities) all use the yellow rose, although I don't think any of them specify the tea rose.
damn I love sugar and spice
Old 07-05-2003, 12:43 AM
GreekChat Member

Alpha Sigma Tau has the yellow rose, but it's not specified as a "yellow tea rose", just yellow rose. We also share the pearl with a bakazillion other groups. I guess pearls were considered very classy or very popular back in those days, who knows??

What about our colors--emerald green and gold? Does any other org have emerald green and gold together?

I know our badge is similar to others in that it is a "shield type" badge (as opposed to a monogram type or symbol type), but I think ours has a unique shape. All other "shield type" badges are a recognizable shape (i.e. ASA has the concave square, SigEp has the heart, SK is the triangle, SSS is the triangle too, isn't it?). Does anyone else share a similar type (oddly shaped) badge with AST?
Old 07-05-2003, 12:56 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to SDTSarah
SDT was also founded at Cornell, but in 1917. I met a brother of Alpha Phi Alpha wearing a Cornell Alpha Phi Alpha shirt and I got really excited. :-)
Old 07-05-2003, 04:29 AM
GreekChat Member

My sorority Epsilon Sigma Phi and Omega Phi Beta have the same flower: sunflower

We share similar colors with Alpha Epsilon Phi and Kappa Delta: Green and White (our is Forest Green and Ivory)

We have common letters with Sigma Phi Epsilon

Are there any GLOs (local, regional or National) out there who have a tiger as a mascot, whose philanthropy deal with children and/or cancer or has diamonds or emeralds as their gemstones. Just wondering!

The Trolls have taken over the Asylum!
Old 07-05-2003, 09:58 AM
GreekChat Member

Location: Where stately oaks and broad magnolias shade inspiring halls
Sigma Alpha uses green and gold (emerald and maize). They also use the yellow chrysanthemum. Someone earlier had asked about a chrysanthemum. Alpha Gamma Rho uses green and gold too.

As far as "oddly shaped" badges go, I think that Phi Mu's might qualify. It is very pretty and reminds me of hearts.

Quote:
Originally posted by PsychTau
Alpha Sigma Tau has the yellow rose, but it's not specified as a "yellow tea rose", just yellow rose. We also share the pearl with a bakazillion other groups. I guess pearls were considered very classy or very popular back in those days, who knows??

What about our colors--emerald green and gold? Does any other org have emerald green and gold together?

I know our badge is similar to others in that it is a "shield type" badge (as opposed to a monogram type or symbol type), but I think ours has a unique shape. All other "shield type" badges are a recognizable shape (i.e. ASA has the concave square, SigEp has the heart, SK is the triangle, SSS is the triangle too, isn't it?). Does anyone else share a similar type (oddly shaped) badge with AST?

Last edited by aopirose; 07-05-2003 at 10:04 AM.
Old 07-05-2003, 03:48 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to bsp-mich24
Ditto what BetaRose said, she summed it up well
Old 07-06-2003, 12:27 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Mari-103
Two greek orgs?

I have seen that many GC users list 2 or more greek orgs. I was wondering why, perhaps they are community service or honor societies?

I've been a member of a greek org for a year, and I'm planning on joinging a psychology honor society, so I would then have two different letters, that's why I was asking.

Of course my co-ed frat letters come first!!
Old 07-06-2003, 03:07 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to AOII*Azra-elle
Re: Re: Re: Re: NPHC vs. NPC vs. NIC vs. NALFO

Quote:
Originally posted by aopirose
Way, way back in the day AOII was referred to as Alpha. I have a song book from 1931 and 25% of the songs just say Alpha.

AOII shares the Jacquesminot Rose with Phi Kappa Psi.
The color Cardinal with with Chi Omega.
Founded at Barnard College like Alpha Epsilon Phi.

Interesting. I didn't know that!
I know that she'll be there if ever I need her.
I know that our friendship is true.
Old 07-06-2003, 03:40 PM
GreekChat Member

Re: Two greek orgs?

Quote:
Originally posted by Mari-103
I have seen that many GC users list 2 or more greek orgs. I was wondering why, perhaps they are community service or honor societies?

I've been a member of a greek org for a year, and I'm planning on joinging a psychology honor society, so I would then have two different letters, that's why I was asking.

Of course my co-ed frat letters come first!!
I am a member of a social sorority, a co-ed honors fraternity and a psych honor society. So it's possible!
Old 07-06-2003, 04:22 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Knowledge1922
Quote:
Originally posted by sugar and spice

According to ariesrising's site, Phi Kappa Sigma uses the yellow crysanthemum. Her website is a great resource for anybody who wants to know more about other organizations:

http://www.geocities.com/ariesrising...ionalorgs.html
the yellow tea rose is the official flower for Sigma Gamma Rho Sorority, Inc
Old 07-06-2003, 07:40 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by FAB*SpiceySpice
I don't know if anyone mentioned this but Phi Mu and I believe Gamma Phi Beta...? share the pink carnation. Someone correct me if I am wrong.
That would be correct.