GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 1,253
1 members and 1,252 guests
LaneSig

Old 08-24-2009, 11:28 AM
GreekChat Member

UNC-CH DKE president shot, killed by police

http://www.newsobserver.com/news/story/1660146.html

UNC student shot, killed by police

FROM STAFF REPORTS
Published: Mon, Aug. 24, 2009 09:38AM

Modified Mon, Aug. 24, 2009 09:49AM

CHAPEL HILL -- A 20-year-old man shot by police in Randolph County Sunday morning has been identified as Courtland Smith, a junior biology major and fraternity president at UNC Chapel Hill from Texas, The Daily Tar Heel reports.

Smith was pronounced dead at 6:03 a.m. after being admitted to High Point Regional Hospital, according to the campus newspaper.
Smith, president of the UNC chapter of the Delta Kappa Epsilon fraternity, reportedly was shot and killed by an Archdale police officer after a confrontation on Interstate 85 in Randolph County.

The Archdale Police Department released a statement that says officers made a traffic stop on the interstate about 4:54 a.m. Sunday after getting a call from a man who said he was suicidal.

"Once the vehicle came to a stop, a confrontation ensued and an Archdale Police Officer shot the subject," the statement said. The release did not say whether the man, identified only as white and his his early 20s, had a weapon.

The Police Department has not released the name of the man who was shot. The N.C. State Bureau of Investigation is reviewing the incident.
In a statement, UNC-CH officials acknowledged learning of the death of the student but said they had no additional details.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 08-24-2009, 02:27 PM
GreekChat Member

This is so sad! He graduated from my older son's highschool, great student, outgoing kid, was a big wrestler - ranked in the city, just a really great guy.

I got an email from the school requesting prayers for the family, his little brother just graduated in May. I cannot imagine what they are going through today - he seemingly had everything going for him, and to have this happen. It's unbelievably tragic.
Old 08-24-2009, 02:43 PM
Super Moderator

My sincerest sympathy for the family, brothers, and friends of Courtland Smith. Such a tragic loss for all involved.
Old 08-24-2009, 02:43 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by srmom View Post
This is so sad! He graduated from my older son's highschool, great student, outgoing kid, was a big wrestler - ranked in the city, just a really great guy.

I got an email from the school requesting prayers for the family, his little brother just graduated in May. I cannot imagine what they are going through today - he seemingly had everything going for him, and to have this happen. It's unbelievably tragic.
This is so tragic. I am sending up prayers for his family and friends.
Old 08-24-2009, 03:20 PM
GreekChat Member

It's absolutely awful. I picked up a copy of the Daily Tar Heel today, and to read such tragic news the day before classes start is heartbreaking.

I was stopped by an NBC reporter today on campus asking if I knew him (I didn't).

My thoughts go out to Courtland Smith's family and his DKE brothers.

ETA: Apparently the officer who shot him is Jeremy Paul Flinchum.

From the Daily Tar Heel website:

The State Bureau of Investigation has identified the officer who shot junior Courtland Smith on Sunday as Jeremy Paul Flinchum.
Flinchum’s status with the police department is unknown.
Flinchum, 29, stopped Smith’s car on Interstate 85 in Archdale, about 15 miles south of Greensboro. Flinchum was responding to a 911 call from Smith, who told dispatchers that he was suicidal and needed help.
A press release Sunday from Archdale Police said the officer shot Smith after a confrontation.

Last edited by tangelo212; 08-24-2009 at 03:23 PM.
Old 08-24-2009, 03:36 PM
GreekChat Member

Suicide by cop?
Reaffirmed: Glen Ellyn Area Alumnae
All in the MIGHTY MIDWEST REGION!
Old 08-24-2009, 04:08 PM
GreekChat Member

What a tragic story. Deepest sympathies to all who will miss Courtland.

Last edited by moe.ron; 08-24-2009 at 10:16 PM.
Old 08-24-2009, 04:10 PM
GreekChat Member

Which reminds me that I wanted to post that my sympathies go out not just to Courtland Smith and his family/brothers/friends, but also to the officer and his family. Life will never be the same on either side, and there are certainly no winners, regardless of the circumstances.

Last edited by moe.ron; 08-24-2009 at 10:16 PM.
Old 08-24-2009, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbear19 View Post
Which reminds me that I wanted to post that my sympathies go out not just to Courtland Smith and his family/brothers/friends, but also to the officer and his family. Life will never be the same on either side, and there are certainly no winners, regardless of the circumstances.
This.

Lakers Nation.
Old 08-25-2009, 09:18 AM
GreekChat Member

More recent stories from the Raleigh News and Observer, The Daily Tar Heel and the Greensboro News and Record.

I particularly liked the end of the Daily Tar Heel story:
Several campus Greek organizations put off rush events Monday night and will decide later this week about other plans to remember Smith. Some are doing small favors such as donating flowers or cooking dinner for his fraternity.

“Rush is the least of our worries,” said sophomore William White, a member of Phi Gamma Delta fraternity. “We’re more worried about our friends next door and being there for them.”
Old 08-25-2009, 10:13 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticCat View Post
More recent stories from the Raleigh News and Observer, The Daily Tar Heel and the Greensboro News and Record.

I particularly liked the end of the Daily Tar Heel story:
Several campus Greek organizations put off rush events Monday night and will decide later this week about other plans to remember Smith. Some are doing small favors such as donating flowers or cooking dinner for his fraternity.

“Rush is the least of our worries,” said sophomore William White, a member of Phi Gamma Delta fraternity. “We’re more worried about our friends next door and being there for them.”
This whole event is so sad. I like that they stopped rush events. What great greek unity.
Old 08-25-2009, 02:11 PM
GreekChat Member

THIS IS EXTREMELY SAD TO HEAR THIS HAPPEN TO SUCH A FINE YOUNG MAN. MY PRAYERS GO OUT TO THE SMITH FAMILY AND TO THE BROTHERS OF DELTA KAPPA EPSILON.

ZBT:"Honoring the Past, Celebrating the Present & Impacting the Future."
Old 08-25-2009, 09:25 PM
GreekChat Member

Very tragic indeed.
Old 08-26-2009, 03:26 PM
GreekChat Member

A short update from the Raleigh News and Observer and a tribute/update from The Daily Tar Heel.

ETA: Here is a longer update with a longer description of the 911 call from the Greensboro News and Record. Sad.

Last edited by MysticCat; 08-26-2009 at 03:38 PM.
Old 08-26-2009, 11:55 PM
GreekChat Member

How awful. Prayers for everyone involved and their families/friends- what a sad situation.