GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,452
Threads: 115,511
Welcome to our newest member, saphqueen
» Online Users: 1,667
1 members and 1,666 guests
annetaedarky158

Old 01-21-2008, 08:31 PM
GreekChat Member

I think some of the quick facts on the first national Latina sorority's site say it all.

http://www.lambdalady.org/facts.htm

They may've added some inclusionary and "universal woman" language and non-Latina members since 1975 but that doesn't mean much in the greater scheme of things. They are still part of NALFO, which also speaks volumes.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 01-21-2008, 08:52 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSTCHAOS View Post
I think some of the quick facts on the first national Latina sorority's site say it all.

http://www.lambdalady.org/facts.htm

They may've added some inclusionary and "universal woman" language and non-Latina members since 1975 but that doesn't mean much in the greater scheme of things. They are still part of NALFO, which also speaks volumes.
but I never disputed this point about being latin, so I don't know why it keeps being brought up. We are no less an academic sorority because LTA was not an academic sorority to begin with. Yes, LTA emerged for a very specific and political reason in 1975 because of a lot of movement going on within the Latino community, but that doesn't mean that we also weren't focused on the universal woman since the beginning of LTA because that wasn't the reason for forming LTA.

and being part of NALFO was more about being part of a group of organizations that shared a lot of similar goals (which was why we didn't want to join NPC). Plus, NALFO has only been around for the past few years. Please look up the history of past councils (which were ultimately dissolved) to learn more.

Last edited by CULater; 01-21-2008 at 08:55 PM.
Old 01-21-2008, 09:09 PM
GreekChat Member

You kept shouting "universal" from the roof tops as if meant something so that's why you are getting the responses that you are getting.
Old 01-21-2008, 09:16 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSTCHAOS View Post
You kept shouting "universal" from the roof tops as if meant something so that's why you are getting the responses that you are getting.

it does mean something. never once have I tried to negate the latin aspect of my organization. all i have been trying to say that "universal" is also an intricate part of it. I suppose nearly everyone can say that nowadays i will accede, but its really difficult for an org to share to outsiders that it is more than just the box many people put it in when there are so many people that aren't willing to allow them to go outside the box or that there is more to them than just the box (i'm not sure if i'm making any sense here). i guess i just wasn't clear enough, and probably from my inexperience on going on this board.

but man, i don't know how people can stand to stay on this board and take that kind of heat. I have a lot of other questions and whatnot, but I'm almost afraid to ask them for fear of being flamed....
Old 01-21-2008, 09:17 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CULater View Post
never once have I tried to negate the latin aspect of my organization.
Good. The End.
Old 01-22-2008, 09:31 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CULater View Post
it does mean something. never once have I tried to negate the latin aspect of my organization. all i have been trying to say that "universal" is also an intricate part of it. I suppose nearly everyone can say that nowadays i will accede, but its really difficult for an org to share to outsiders that it is more than just the box many people put it in when there are so many people that aren't willing to allow them to go outside the box or that there is more to them than just the box (i'm not sure if i'm making any sense here). i guess i just wasn't clear enough, and probably from my inexperience on going on this board.

but man, i don't know how people can stand to stay on this board and take that kind of heat. I have a lot of other questions and whatnot, but I'm almost afraid to ask them for fear of being flamed....
We (outsiders) are not placing your organization in a box. The organization assigned themselves the title when it was named Lambda Theta Alpha Latin Sorority, Inc; when it established it's mission as: ...promot[ing] Latino Unity through charitable and educational programs. To maintain a high standard of learning and serve as a voice for all Latino students.

If your founders did not want to be considered a Latina organization they would not have named it such. DSTCHAOS did a very good job explaining how many organizations, whether or not they are focused on a particular racial/cultural segment of the population, service all women, that is almost a given with many of the sororities out here.

You jumped in a conversation 500+ posts old trying to "school" people. Had you read all of the posts before hand you would have better understood my post you originally quoted. And again when I mean only I will say ONLY.

What you are also fail to realize is that there are many people on here older than you, in booth Greekdom and in life. Some GC members have 20+ years in their respective organizations so the history that you have recently learned and are referencing is history that they have LIVED and SEEN with their own eyes.

The "heat"/culture of GC is what it is. You shouldn't be afraid to post here.
  • Just know when someone disagrees with you, or if they feel you are posting misinformation they are going to challenge on it.
  • Don't hop into an old/long thread without reading what has come before you.
  • Ask intelligent questions and make informed statements.
  • And don't call names and expect people not to come back at ya.

Enjoy your stay.
Old 02-12-2008, 01:23 PM
GreekChat Member

Post Just to smooth things over.

I just wanted to come on here to give my sister a virtual hug to give her comfort. I tried to spend time on reading the 35 pages of posts, but ultimately I do not have the time to do so thoroughly. I will not address anyone in particular but to all in general. I can see how my sister would have felt "attacked" when I think she just wanted to post some comments without any intent of starting a war on symantecs. Yes we are newbies to this forum and congratulate you all on being able to deeply discuss some issues that are ignored by those outstide of our circle for so long. I may not have been a sister since the inception of my organization, but I have been an active sister of my beloved organization for over 12 years. Lambda Theta Alpha Latin Sorority, Inc. is not and has never been a "multicultural sorority". We are a latin sorority, as decided by our Founding Mothers, not all of whom were of latin descent. We took part in the formation of El Concilio (CNHL), which happened about the same time NALFO was being created. After the dissolution of CNHL, we joined NALFO, I know b/c I was there for it all. Sometimes individual campuses don't have a separate Latino council and all minority greek organizations (ie, non-mainstream) are under a multicultural greek council, or something like it.

I'm not here to "school" anyone and this is all information that you already know, so I apologize if I wasted any of your time, but I did feel that I needed to comfort my sister. Since before I became a sister, we have been "Latin by Tradition, Not by Definition". We do want everyone to know the struggle of the latino and try to uplift our communities (yes I am latina), and with that, we want to uplift our sisters in the struggle - the universal woman. Each chapter can do whatever community service they feel would be most beneficial to servicing that community (impoverished, underrepresented, immigrant, battered, etc.). I think for all of us in a sorority, we can see that we are all trying to uplift our women to be strong, educated leaders.

I wish everyone luck with carrying out the mission of each of your organizations and that we can work together on many of our common goals.

In Greek Unity.
Old 02-12-2008, 03:04 PM
GreekChat Member

^Great post, and welcome to greekchat.com!
Old 02-15-2008, 10:45 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LambdaLady95 View Post
I just wanted to come on here to give my sister a virtual hug to give her comfort...
Welcome and Thanks for the post.
Old 04-17-2008, 01:16 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to preciousjeni
Positive Media Attention!

Members of the Almighty Alpha Chapter of Theta Nu Xi were in the spotlight for a recent radio show during which they talked about the Sorority within the greater Greek world.

Quote:
April 14, 2008 show – Learning from Theta Nu Xi Multicultural Sorority, Inc.

There are times when answers are not simple and just take time to explain. For example, when your parents are from different races or cultures, people sometimes say you are just the race of one parent but there is simply more to the story. Similar conversations occur when folk of one race (take your pick) associate with another race too much. I believe such narrow minded views are slowly changing but they do still exist. On the show we chat with some of the talented women of Theta Nu Xi Multicultural Sorority, Inc. They will share their thoughts, experience, and understanding of their role in our community. Few of us have had as many multicultural conversations as these women and perhaps we can open our minds and hearts to gain greater appreciation for all.
CLICK HERE TO LISTEN

http://richardbrownshow.com/

Talented, tested, tenacious, and true...
A woman of diversity through and through.
Old 08-18-2015, 03:38 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetteDavisEyes View Post
I joined my GLO b/c I loved the message it spreads & I felt truly welcomed. It's different for everyone & while some people feel comfortable in an NPC group, others feel better in a different organization altogether. Nothing wrong with that. Different strokes for different folks.
So much me. Without being too annoying and hopeful, I just want everyone to find their home in the Greek community! Panhellenic wasn't for me but there are some ladies that find their fit and their sisters in NPC and more power to them! No matter the letter we're all Greek together and in uniting in our commonalitie/values between chapters (service, sisterhood, academics etc) is where we find strength <3

(So I prob came off like the rainbows and sunshine character in Mean Girls but whatever...also this is referring to a way back post! )