GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Recruitment Stories

Recruitment Stories This is the forum where you should place posts about your Recruitment experiences. General questions about Recruitment should be posted in the main Recruitment forum.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,425
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, zenjaminusasdz5
» Online Users: 2,132
2 members and 2,130 guests
No Members online

Old 01-13-2009, 11:23 PM
GreekChat Member

The "I just dug up my Recruitment Booklet" Recruitment Story

I love reading these recruitment threads. It gives me something to do when I procrastinate!

I've been lurking a while, but was inspired to write when (I was packing, moving for the new job) I found my recruitment booklet! It was interesting to see what my 18 year-old self thought, especially as someone who knew nothing (zilch, zip, nada) going in.

I enjoy these threads most when they're as honest as possible and when details don't need to be left out. Therefore, I'm going to use the names of the sororities. I will not be giving out any details about my school or the region of the country I was in. If you're smart enough (or have enough time) to figure out what school I went to, just don't say anything. I'm not trying to offend anyone: I just am giving my honest, teenage opinion.
It was also quite a while ago, too, and I'm trying not to date myself as much as possible, so opinions have likely changed about these fantastic organizations.

To begin:
---------------------------------------------------------------------
I went off to school (which I will refer to as College) concentrating really more on academics, where I was going to live, what I was going to wear, etc. I hadn't really heard anything about Sorority life, except for the many girls who would come back and visit my high school with their brightly colored, letter totebags. I knew some of my teachers, old family friends, etc. were also Sorority members, but I never really linked that with someday being me.

One summer afternoon, I am going through the mail when I spot something from College about "Recruitment". I would have assumed it was Army/Navy ROTC again, except that the figure pointing at me was blonde and she pointed with a perfectly polished finger nail. I tossed it to the side, when my friend Jane picked it up.

"Did you register yet?" she asked. I was wholly confused, so she explained the entire process to me. It turned out Jane's older sister, Katherine, was a Delta Gamma at College.

Jane tried to convince me to join, but I wasn't convinced that I wanted to do that. I mean, I'm much more of a tomboy, was pursuing a very difficult major, and didn't want to be stuck in the Legally Blond stereotype (such was my knowledge of Greek Life at the time).

I did talk to Katherine about it more, in addition to asking her how big dorm closets were and if microwaves really weren't allowed. I began to think about it, and finally decide do to it. After all, I can drop out.

Fast-forward:
I'm at College on move-in day. It's here I meet Kim. Kim lives across the hall from me and we just bond immediately. We can't stop talking even though we have just met. Eventually, we notice one of the girls helping us move has letters on her t-shirt: ZTA. Her name is Lucy. Lucy is very nice, very talkative. We ask her about the letters. She begins talking about recruitment and it turns out both Kim and I are doing it. Kim knows as little about it as I do, which makes me feel loads better. I heard a girl on our floor (I can't for the life of me remember her name, but she does pop-up here and there, so I'll refer to her as Legacy) going on and on about it.
Legacy is a legacy to 4 different chapters on our campus and has had multiple recs (whatever the heck those are) in since July. She knows exactly which house she wants and which house she pities the women in. She has all her outfits picked out.
This, however, seems to be the norm at College. However, thanks to Kim, I feel a great deal better about this thing called Recruitment.

We get a call from our Recruitment Counselors that day, confirming everything. We (to my great disappointment) have different RCs. Mine is named Lisa. Lisa is bright, cheerful, and ridiculously bubbly. Almost too much. I am scared this is the wrong choice. Kim says hers (Lexi) is much more subdued and professional, and I feel a little better.

College has 8 NPC Sororities:
* AΔΠ
* ΔΔΔ
* ΔΓ
* ΔZ
* ΠBΦ
* ΣK
* ZTA

Recruitment Schedule:
* Round 1: Open House
* Round 2: House Tours
* Round 3: Philanthropy
* Round 4: Pref Party
Old 01-14-2009, 12:16 AM
GreekChat Member

Yay! A new story! (just what every college student needs, more procrastination on homework)
Old 01-14-2009, 12:28 AM
GreekChat Member

Round 1: OPEN HOUSE

I groan when I meet Lisa, because standing right near her is Legacy. Legacy looks bored, and has her booklet (which the other girls are excitedly flipping through) tucked under her arm and is tapping her toe. Jane is not in my group either.

I flip through mine: the pages are glossy and letters and blonde girls stare back up at me.

Lisa chatters on for a while and we're off.

-Chi Omega-
The house is beautiful, with white pillars offsetting gigantic black doors. No one appears to be around, until Lisa knocks on the door. Girls barrel out of the door with a roar. It takes me a second to realize the roar is a cheer complete with clapping. Our line moves forward and I'm wisked away by an absolutely beautiful brunette. We talk, but I'm still a little uneasy and stunned so I remember stuttering, blushing, and being very embaressed. I really liked the brunette and the equally stunning girl she was replaced with and hope I am asked backed. I doubt it though, because I was very awkward there. I scribble down in my book (I notice other girls doing this as we leave, and I decide it might be wise) that I really liked it, the girls were pretty, the house was gorgeous, but I was very awkward.

-Sigma Kappa-
The same scenario takes place here and I am a little more prepared. However, I am NOT prepared for the sheer amount of girls in this house. I have never seen so many women in one place, and I though Chi Omega was huge!!! I don't really recall much from this and I have nothing written in the margins next to it.

-Delta Delta Delta-
This chapter is SMALL. I am double-rushed here. It is awkward as well. When the blonde rushing me asks my major and I reply "Chemical Engineering", she blinks at me for a moment (while twirling her hair) and asks why I'd waste my time on that. The girl I'm being rushed with (Ashley) makes a joke that its to meet men. Blonde continues to twirl her hair and tells me I don't want to mix with nerdy men. There are many silences, and Ashley and I look at each other with sidelong glances. My book has a "No!" underlined three times written on the top of this page. I remember nothing else about the house, except that upon leaving I now knew what a bad rush party was like.

-Zeta Tau Alpha-
This house was beautiful. I was in awe walking up the driveway to the huge brick home. I don't recall much about it, except really wanting to impress these women (and they were very much women, not girls!). Both ladies rushing me were perfectly put-together blondes. I just got a very good vibe from this house. I'm not sure if they did from me, though. My book has only "Wow!" written in it.

-Alpha Delta Pi-
I remember almost nothing about this house! Neither good or bad. I can't even remember my initial opinion about it. My booklet is no help whatsoever either! I do remember hearing Legacy saying that these girls would take anyone and that they were on the plump side, which confused me. (I wondered what she thought of me if those girls were plump!).

-Delta Zeta-
I adored this house. The girls I talked to were so friendly, the house was beautiful, and our conversations just flowed. They were also a gigantic house. Legacy upon leaving LOUDLY proclaimed she would end up here, which I took to mean I had no chance. However, I really liked it still and hoped to get another invitation.

-Pi Beta Phi-
I don't remember much about this house. Someone in my group whispered that these ladies were known as the party girls, and I remember thinking that was not an association I wanted for the rest of my life. There's a question mark drawn on the top of my booklet.

-Delta Gamma-
Katherine's house! Hurrah! I was not paired with her, but I loved the house because she was in it (she did wave to me) and Jane wanted it too. I have a heart and a yes drawn on the top of this page, and I have underlined many things about their symbols and colors.

We go back and we are supposed to rank the houses. Oh: that's why we were supposed to take notes.
I look over my notes and wish I had taken better ones. I'm getting the letters mixed up in my head constantly. I know I'll rank:

1. Delta Gamma
1. Delta Zeta
1. Chi Omega
1. Zeta Tau Alpha

and Delta Delta Delta in last. But what about the others? I can't remember much, so I just throw them in their based on colors and pictures in the book. (Bad, I know!)

On the way out, I walk with Ashley. I discuss ranking with her. Here, I am subjected to my first tent talk. Ashley knows much more than me and agrees Delta Delta Delta should be in dead last. "I wouldn't pledge them if you ever want a date," she said.
(I'm terrified: sorority life affects who you date!!!). When I tell her my top choices, she blinks at me. "Won't those letters make your chest look funny?"

At home, Kim makes me feel better (again!). She LOVED Delta Delta Delta (and doesn't mind Ashley's comment. "Who cares?" she says, "I don't want to date a frat boy anyways.") I find out Delta Delta Delta is so small because they are brand new on campus. She also loved Chi Omega and Delta Zeta. She thought Delta Gamma was "fake as all hell, Scrubadub".

(This is when I learned how much people's opinons can differ.)
Old 01-14-2009, 12:36 AM
GreekChat Member

I love how you don't keep it dragging. Keep this up!
Old 01-14-2009, 12:56 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GammaPhi88 View Post
I love how you don't keep it dragging. Keep this up!
Agreed. I just settled in with a snack to read recruitment stories...(because my life has come to that) and I really wish yours had an ending. I have totally eliminated like, four of the sororities already. I'm glad you found your book- we weren't allowed to keep ours.
Old 01-14-2009, 01:09 AM
GreekChat Member

This makes me wish I had taken more notes during recruitment.
And it's so nicely color-coded!
Old 01-14-2009, 03:04 AM
GreekChat Member

(I'm doing it during packing breaks.....)

Round 2: House Tours

Kim and I go to get our schedules and begin the next round. She runs off upon seeing her recruitment counselor and I spot Lisa. I also notice Jane. Jane got asked back to 5 houses. I can't remember all of them, but I do know Delta Gamma and Pi Beta Phi are on there. I remember asking her why she was happy about being asked back to Pi Phi. "Why wouldn't I?" she replies. I make a comment about their reputation. She warns me to not believe everything I hear. "Katherine says that's a bad idea.". (Ironically, I also remember her being excited about Pi Phi because of the mixers they had with fraternities.)

I leave Jane to get my schedule as Kim comes over. She only has 4 invites: Tri Delta (about which she is thrilled), Chi Omega (also ecstatic), Sigma Kappa, and one other I can't recall. She is a little bummed to only have 4 houses, but she doesn't hate a single one so she says she's more than pleased. Some girls are not. I note Legacy on the phone, angrily tapping that foot again.

I finally reach Lisa and get mine. I, too, have 4.
1. Delta Zeta
2. Delta Delta Delta
3. Delta Gamma
4. Pi Beta Phi

I am a little bummed to be cut by Chi Oand Zeta which I loved, and much surprised by the Tri Delta invitation. I had loathed that party. But, they were Kim's favorite house so I was willing to try again. She laughed upon seeing my schedule: "I guess you're going to end up with Delta something. We can buy the first letter of your hooded sweatshirts."

-Delta Zeta-
I actually don't remember a lot about this house tour. My booklet says I thought the house was beautiful and huge, but I do remember the girl leading the house tour for me was extraordinarily snobby. She answered my questions (some of which, in retrospect, were really common knowledge) with a slight huff and roll of the eyes. I was hurt, wondering why I was asked back if they didn't really want me. I was surprised how quickly my opinion had changed.

-Delta Delta Delta-
I saw Kim on her way out and waved. She gave me a thumbs-up. The house was very cute. I loved the decor. The girl who rushed me today was much more friendly but I still didn't click. Kim had described a sense of being home here: I didn't get that and I knew I didn't belong here.

-Delta Gamma-
I loved it! I was absolutely blown away. I'd never seen such a beautiful house. The girl rushing me was super friendly, too. We chatted along, and it was just wonderful. I remember they had a rack for their purses and backpacks and I thought that was just the cutest idea. Their parlor was absolutely amazing. My recruitment booklet says "Gorgeous!" in big letters at the top. I knew, after leaving this house, that I was meant to be a Dee Gee just like Katherine and Jane.

-Pi Beta Phi-
My only "not Delta" house of the day, I had no recollection of the house from the previous round and went in, determined to make my own decisions and ignore the tent talk. It was a beautiful house, with very mature decorations (not like the Party Girl decor I expected). I was very pleased with it and with the girl who rushed me. I left wanting more time here, because I might be able to fit in. I just wasn't sure yet.

As I had only been asked back to four houses, my decision making was a little easier. I knew Delta Gamma would be first, followed by Pi Beta Phi. But should I put Delta Zeta, which I had LOVED Round 1 but didn't like now, last? Or, should I put the house my new best friend would likely end up in last?

I decided to give DZ another try, especially because Tri Delta just wasn't clicking with me.

1. Delta Gamma
1. Pi Beta Phi
1. Delta Zeta

2. Delta Delta Delta
3. Empty

Kim's top 3 were Delta Delta Delta, Chi Omega, and Sigma Kappa. Jane chose Delta Gamma, Pi Beta Phi, and one other one.

One last side note: I remember seeing Legacy yelling at Lisa. Apparently, Legacy had been cut from two of her legacy houses and she was furious! (She still had Delta Zeta,though, because she was with me at that house tour. She was also with me at Pi Beta Phi, and was the rudest guest. I remember her totally disinterested stance. On both the way in and out, she made comments about their weight, which I was appalled by!)

Last edited by Scrubadub; 01-14-2009 at 03:09 AM.
Old 01-14-2009, 11:11 AM
GreekChat Member

I wish I could find my recruitment booklet. Loving the story so far!
Old 01-14-2009, 12:09 PM
GreekChat Member

Round 3: Philanthropy Round

Kim and I go to get our schedules. We both grab Jane and ask how it went. Jane has been asked back by Delta Gamma and her other top choice (I can't remember it), but was droppped by Pi Beta Phi. This does not bode well for me: If she didn't get asked back, I have no chance and I liked them yesterday.

Kim has three houses: Delta Delta Delta, Chi Omega, and one other. I do remember that she was dropped by Sigma Kappa, which disappointed her. But, she had always loved Delta Delta Delta and was loving Chi Omega more and more everyday.

I get my schedule. I also have 3! Hurrah:
1. Pi Beta Phi
2. Delta Delta Delta
3. Delta Zeta

I check it again. Where is Delta Gamma? And how did I get asked back to Pi Beta Phi? Even Jane didn't!!!! Do they realize I'm not a party girl? I'm so sad! I was meant to be a Dee Gee! I knew it! How did they not ask me back?

Kim cheers me up. I still have 2 left which I had loved. She urges me to give Delta Zeta a chance again and reminds me that Pi Phi really grew on me yesterday. She is still hoping Tri Delta will grow on me.

-Pi Beta Phi-
I try and gather myself to make a good impression here. We make bookmarks for children and are supposed to talk during this round, but I have plenty of time to work on my bookmark. My first rusher is 100% uninterested in me. Thank god for the second girl! It is here where I begin screwing up. I continually stick my foot in my mouth. As I leave the house, I remember thinking there was no way I was going back.

-Delta Delta Delta-
I don't remember much about this or the craft I made. I tried talking to my rusher as much as possible so that I could click. I badly wanted to feel at home somewhere! I knew I didn't though, and I think my rusher noticed that I was trying much much too hard.

-Delta Zeta-
Last house! I can make a good impression and I know it! Maybe it was just yesterday that was a bad day.
Unfortunately not. My rusher made me feel as though it were a mistake that I was asked back. I was so distraught!

Ranking was hard, but only because I didn't really have anyone I liked left. I was torn once again between putting Delta Zeta and Delta Delta Delta in last. I switched it up this time. If I was in Delta Delta Delta, at least I'd have Kim.
1. Pi Beta Phi
2. Delta Delta Delta
3. Delta Zeta

I went home confused about what to do. I didn't want to get stuck somewhere I hated, but this was not going well.

Last edited by Scrubadub; 01-14-2009 at 10:24 PM.
Old 01-14-2009, 12:27 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrubadub View Post
[B][U]-Pi Beta Phi-
I try and gather myself to make a good impression here. We make bookmarks for children and are supposed to talk during this round, but I have plenty of time to work on my bookmark. My first rusher is 100% uninterested in me. Thank god for the second girl! It is here where I begin screwing up. I continually stick my foot in my house. As I leave the house, I remember thinking there was no way I was going back.
Hmm, Why do I think you end up a Pi Phi?

So I depart that I may now better serve my fellow man, my country & God
Old 01-14-2009, 02:02 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForeverRoses View Post
I don't know why, but I've thought the same thing throughout most of the story. But we'll see!

@~/~~~~
Old 01-14-2009, 03:04 PM
GreekChat Member

This story is SO GOOD!! more please!
Old 01-14-2009, 04:03 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to lovespink88
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForeverRoses View Post
I thought the same thing!
Old 01-14-2009, 05:48 PM
GreekChat Member

I LOVE that she hasn't been using code names. So refreshing and it makes it much easier to remember which house is which. I wish more recruitment stories weren't coded.

Old 01-14-2009, 12:02 PM
GreekChat Member

The color-coding really helps keep everything straight in my mind. Great story!!