GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,428
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, baangelasteaxdy
» Online Users: 2,267
2 members and 2,265 guests
Kevin, Titchou

Old 04-18-2007, 01:45 AM
GreekChat Member

Post quick question

Hi,
I received two bids -I liked both sororities- but chose the other at the last minute. I soon found out it was not what the girls played it up to be during recruitment and it wasn't what I expected in the sorority . I left within a matter of a week or two (way before bigs were assigned or pledge pins handed out).
I would like to know if I could go through recruitment again with the other sorority, eventhough I didn't sign their bid. Can this be done? I have to wait a year anyways to re-rush right?
Old 04-18-2007, 02:06 AM

It is a National Panhellenic Conference rule that you have to wait a year before going through rush again. However, no one can guarantee you that the other sorority will offer you a bid again next year, since you already declined once.

Lakers Nation.

Last edited by KSUViolet06; 04-18-2007 at 02:15 AM.
Old 04-18-2007, 02:16 AM
GreekChat Member

Thumbs up

I'm aware of the wait a year thing, but, it is possible then...
Old 04-18-2007, 02:19 AM
GreekChat Member

btw thanks for replying to my post
Old 04-18-2007, 02:22 AM

Being able to rush and actually getting a bid to a sorority are 2 different things.

If you wait a year, YES you can rush again. In order for you to be able to JOIN the other sorority, they would have to give you a bid again. I do not know if the sorority will give you a bid AGAIN because you picked another sorority over them LAST year. I've NEVER heard of a sorority offering a girl a bid after she turned them down before.

Lakers Nation.

Last edited by KSUViolet06; 04-18-2007 at 02:27 AM.
Old 04-18-2007, 01:34 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to AlethiaSi
Quote:
Originally Posted by KSUViolet06 View Post
Being able to rush and actually getting a bid to a sorority are 2 different things.

If you wait a year, YES you can rush again. In order for you to be able to JOIN the other sorority, they would have to give you a bid again. I do not know if the sorority will give you a bid AGAIN because you picked another sorority over them LAST year. I've NEVER heard of a sorority offering a girl a bid after she turned them down before.
I've seen it happen on my campus, after they rush, they usually explain what happened (or we ask) and why they left the other group. During the bid process, we consider her previous experience and how committed she appears. Usually she would come to the house knowing one of our girls, so we take that into account... I mean... its not a common practice to give these kinds of bids out... but i've seen it happen (we're also a smaller campus so we don't have the same kind of numbers that a larger campus would)

So, i think your chances might depend on your situation... you can PM me if ya want
Old 04-19-2007, 01:39 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSUViolet06 View Post

I've seen it happen on my campus too. The girl had almost all of her friends in the sorority she had turned down and spent the year clearly wishing she were in that one, so they accepted her the second time around. Of course, I do go to a TINY school, where greeks and nongreeks coexist a lot...

I believe in friendships formed at the spring time of my youth...

Phi Alpha Delta
Old 04-25-2007, 11:45 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlethiaSi View Post
I've seen it happen on my campus, after they rush, they usually explain what happened (or we ask) and why they left the other group. During the bid process, we consider her previous experience and how committed she appears. Usually she would come to the house knowing one of our girls, so we take that into account... I mean... its not a common practice to give these kinds of bids out... but i've seen it happen (we're also a smaller campus so we don't have the same kind of numbers that a larger campus would)

So, i think your chances might depend on your situation... you can PM me if ya want
We're one of the "top ten party school" campuses, so yeah, we're not small. Now I have several friends in that sorority and they said that I should rush again next year. Ofcourse that doesn't mean I'll automatically get in or anything, but it doesn't hurt in trying right? And if they ask me why I left the other group, well I'll just tell them exactly how it went down. Think positive I say.
Old 04-26-2007, 12:28 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Buttonz Send a message via MSN to Buttonz Send a message via Yahoo to Buttonz
I'm assuming you went through informal or COR, right? Otherwise, how did you recieve more then one bid, unless it's locals your talking about.

I'd be wary if I knew that someone that we gave a bid to turned it down, and then depledged within a week or two....but that's me.

Give it another shot, you never know.

Patriae Multae Spes Una
Old 04-27-2007, 01:14 AM
GreekChat Member

...nope, it definitely was formal with national sororities. We got to choose which houses we wanted to check out and attend as many of their parties as we want to. If any of the parties' times clashed, you'd choose the one you liked more and attend their party to show them your preference. Next the invitation only parties and bid day.

btw-Thanks for all the feedback ya'll!
Old 04-27-2007, 02:28 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkBabygirl10 View Post
How did you receive two bids during formal recruitment?
actually since going to each sorority on campus wasn't "mandatory" it probably wasn't formal...right? But it wasn't COB...we had to go through the whole process, y'know. COB started after bid day, but only certain sororities decided to do it.

Sorry for the confusion with formal/informal
Old 04-27-2007, 06:38 AM
GreekChat Member

Now that many campuses are moving to partially structured or minimally structured recruitment methods, the lines are more blurred and things can be done very differently. It's going to take a while before everybody understands how these work. On most campuses, I imagine they will still refer to it as "formal recruitment", even though it's actually PSR or MSR because there is still a set time period during which occurs and it's not quite like COR.
Old 04-27-2007, 10:10 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Buttonz Send a message via MSN to Buttonz Send a message via Yahoo to Buttonz
Quote:
Originally Posted by AGDee View Post
Now that many campuses are moving to partially structured or minimally structured recruitment methods, the lines are more blurred and things can be done very differently. It's going to take a while before everybody understands how these work. On most campuses, I imagine they will still refer to it as "formal recruitment", even though it's actually PSR or MSR because there is still a set time period during which occurs and it's not quite like COR.
From the way that I took PSR and MSR though you still could only get one bid. Seeing as how she was able to recieve more then one bid, it was probalby informal.

I am pretty sure they do traditional formal @ her school as well.

Patriae Multae Spes Una
Old 04-27-2007, 11:24 AM
GreekChat Member

From the cheat sheet on all four styles that I have, it says that there is no bid matching for MSR. Therefore, I would assume that a woman could receive more than one bid that way.

I've also heard of schools that have very formalized informal recruitments. That could be a possibility here as well.
Old 04-27-2007, 11:41 PM
GreekChat Member

I've been seeing all kinds of interpretations of the new formats, but, one of them is even "Informal", which would be like COB but I've seen some campuses do this and still have a time limit to it.