GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Delta > Delta Tau Delta

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,140
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, zolivilittlez29
» Online Users: 872
2 members and 870 guests
Mooch279

Old 06-20-2009, 05:51 PM
GreekChat Member

Delt motto?

Hey guys, Im a pledge and will be initiated at the beginning of the fall semester. I have been through the education period and have never heard anything about our open motto. In fact, it is only mentioned one time on delts.org. It seems that the fraternity uses the mission statement as the main motto-like statement nowadays. Even some of our actives confused our mission statement as our motto and I can't blame them if its not even in "A Life of Excellence". Does anyone know why we do not basically never use our motto?
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 06-23-2009, 07:38 PM
GreekChat Member

and Im referring to, "Labor for the Beautiful and the Good". http://www.delts.org/Resources/Gener...r/Kershner.htm
Old 07-12-2009, 03:06 PM
GreekChat Member

Goldeneagle89-Thanks for posting. The differences between the Mission and Values and public and private mottos can be confusing. Hopefully with some knowledge, you can clear up what your active brothers are missing.

The Mission Statement, "Committed to Lives of Excellence", along with the six Values, were adopted by the Fraternity in 1995 to be public statements to what our Ritual teaches.

The private motto, which you will discover and learn about when you are initiated, provides the foundation for our Fraternity.

The public motto, "Labor for the Beautiful and Good" (Delta Alpha Kappa), is a little more difficult to assess. It appears in fraternity crests before 1870 and is likely the original motto. I can only guess that it is a charge to work and strive toward that which is beautiful and good. Perhaps to labor and fix the Neotrophian Society.

The only other connection I could think of comes from the Bible. Since Delta Tau Delta was founded at Bethany College, a Christian Church (Disciples of Christ) founded college, it's not hard to believe that the Founders of DTD had some religious elements to their organization.

Ecclesiastes 5:18
"Here is what I have seen to be good and beautiful: to eat, to drink and enjoy oneself in all one's labor in which he toils under the sun during the few years of his life which God has given him; for this is his reward."

Delta Alpha Kappa is not really used and you would be hard pressed to find anyone who knows what it means. The private motto is too significant to what Delta Tau Delta means that Delta Alpha Kappa has simply been forgotten to history.

As always, more knowledgeable historians can correct me.

Congratulations on your upcoming initiation.
Old 07-30-2009, 08:38 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NebraskaDelt View Post
Goldeneagle89-Thanks for posting. The differences between the Mission and Values and public and private mottos can be confusing. Hopefully with some knowledge, you can clear up what your active brothers are missing.

The Mission Statement, "Committed to Lives of Excellence", along with the six Values, were adopted by the Fraternity in 1995 to be public statements to what our Ritual teaches.

The private motto, which you will discover and learn about when you are initiated, provides the foundation for our Fraternity.

The public motto, "Labor for the Beautiful and Good" (Delta Alpha Kappa), is a little more difficult to assess. It appears in fraternity crests before 1870 and is likely the original motto. I can only guess that it is a charge to work and strive toward that which is beautiful and good. Perhaps to labor and fix the Neotrophian Society.

The only other connection I could think of comes from the Bible. Since Delta Tau Delta was founded at Bethany College, a Christian Church (Disciples of Christ) founded college, it's not hard to believe that the Founders of DTD had some religious elements to their organization.

Ecclesiastes 5:18
"Here is what I have seen to be good and beautiful: to eat, to drink and enjoy oneself in all one's labor in which he toils under the sun during the few years of his life which God has given him; for this is his reward."

Delta Alpha Kappa is not really used and you would be hard pressed to find anyone who knows what it means. The private motto is too significant to what Delta Tau Delta means that Delta Alpha Kappa has simply been forgotten to history.

As always, more knowledgeable historians can correct me.

Congratulations on your upcoming initiation.
Thankyou, that was very helpful.