GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Alumni Involvement

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,128
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, baadamashtolzea
» Online Users: 1,322
1 members and 1,321 guests
No Members online

Old 04-20-2003, 10:44 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to radioZTA Send a message via Yahoo to radioZTA
I'm the panhellenic advisor for the Gamma Phi chapter of ZTA at the University of North Texas in Denton. It's an hour's drive from my house so I do as much as I can by phone or e-mail.
Old 04-24-2003, 12:52 AM
GreekChat Member

I have been my chapter's House Corp President for a few years now! I love it and always tell others to get more invovled with chapters, you really don't know how rewarding it is until you are back in the swing of things!
Old 05-03-2003, 02:16 PM
GreekChat Member

i'm the vice president of the House Corporation Board of the Alpha Alpha chapter of Gamma Phi Beta. i am also helping start an alumnae group in the Toronto area and will be a member of the Alpha Omega chapter house corp. board in the near future.
Old 05-18-2003, 12:53 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to bsp-mich24
On average, what is the time requirement for Chapter advisors? My interests are recruitment and community service. I'm still learning about the AI process. Cutiepie200o or Tom can you PM me w/ hints. Thanks!
Old 05-18-2003, 10:46 AM
GreekChat Member

Cool

bsp,

time depends on what you want to put into it. I serve on the House Corp. and we meet 2 times a year officially. Alum Asso. meets monthly for social, but of course the Chapter is discussed since we are trying to build a new house. Keeper and finder of emails for the Alums.

Distance means a lot, are you near the chapter?
Are you currently active with the chapter.?

Advisor is exactly what says, advising the chair of the active chapter of that position. Can be done in person or via phone.

I for one would not give a second thought about advising as have been doing it for a LOOOOONG Time!

You can put as much time as you feel you can.

Just say GO!

LX Z # 1
Alumni
Old 05-18-2003, 11:35 AM
GreekChat Member

Would any of you recommend a recent graduate being an advisor for a chapter other than her chapter of initiation? I would like to remain involved, and I know a lot of stuff that I feel is needed and would lie stagnant even in an alumnae chapter, but I just feel way too young to be a chapter advisor already! Any advice would be appreciated!

Also Tom, our last advisor lived 3 hours away! She came to chapter faithfully every week. I'm sure it was tough for her, but it is possible!
Old 05-18-2003, 12:05 PM

I think it would work fine as long as it ISN'T your chapter of initiation - it is too hard to "advise" people that you were living with/partying with only 6 months prior. There used to be age requirements but I think as the need for volunteers has increased those have pretty much fallen away.
Old 05-18-2003, 03:13 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to roxydiva
just in general...i am a long way from any of this, and havent really asked around my chapter, but how does one go about running for advisor type positions, or anything along those lines? thanks a lot!

roxydiva
Old 05-18-2003, 08:22 PM
GreekChat Member

i think it is best to wait a little while before you become an advisor....even if you won't be advising your own chapter. when you first graduate, you need time to distance yourself. even in a different chapter, you will be just a little older than the current members. it will be hard for the chapter to respect you...and will definately be difficult for you to not come off being a complete and total "know it all." i don't mean that you would present yourself that way.....but that the chapter will perceive you that way. it is hard to take direction from peers...and whether you like it or not...you will be a peer. go enjoy life as an alum. get involved with the alum group and your chapter's alum association. enjoy the "drama-free" life of an alum and in 3 or so years, you will be a fabulous advisor!
Old 05-18-2003, 08:41 PM
GreekChat Member

You can definitely be an advisor right after you graduate. I graduated in 2001 and started advising my chapter that fall with recruitment. Now I still do it, and I'm about to start as the Recruitment Advisor at another chapter as well. I have never had any problems with people not respecting me or listening to me because I was too young. They will only see you as a peer if you let them. Also, who says they have to know that you just graduated anyway? If you make sure to present yourself as an adult, you'll be seen that way. It's so much fun to be an advisor, and it's great when you feel you've made a difference. Good luck!
Old 05-18-2003, 08:58 PM
GreekChat Member

I know some chapters (ie. mine) do not allow you to be an advisor right away. They require that you wait four years before coming back to advise, so that you aren't too chummy with the actives. I am allowed to go and help out with recruitment and things, but as for advising, we have to choose another nearby chapter.
Old 05-18-2003, 09:14 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to winnieb
I am the finance advisor for the Epsilon Beta chapter of Alpha Gamma Delta at the University of Kansas.

-wendi
Old 05-28-2003, 01:34 PM
GreekChat Member

Thumbs up

I'm a Chapter Adviser for Alpha Gam for the last 2 years. Prior to that I was the Finance Adviser for 12 years, including a year where I was finance adviser for 2 chapters, one at each end of PA.

Who knew ? I held such a minor little office as a collegiate member, and didn't see myself as the very involved type, but now, I can't see it any other way.

They keep me feeling young, although I'm (almost) old enough to be their mother.
Old 06-25-2003, 03:16 PM
GreekChat Member

I just became the Alumni Relations/PR advisor the Theta Phi chapter. Theta Phi was also my undergrad chapter, and I have been an alum for 2 years. There are few left that were sisters at the same time I was but I don't think that there will be a problem.
Old 07-04-2003, 12:32 AM
GreekChat Member

I've just moved up to Chapter Advisor!
I had been recruitment advisor for the past 2 years but this year the chapter advisor has decided to step dow She was awesome!

Unfortunately, I am doing what everyone says not to do - I'm advising my own chapter and I've only been alum since 2001!

But really, better to have me as an advisor than noone, right?

And on the good side, there are no active sisters who were in the chapter with me.

Any and all advice is welcome