GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Chit Chat

Chit Chat The Chit Chat forum is for discussions that do not fit into the forum topics listed below.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,130
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, zmaisongoogleto
» Online Users: 1,028
1 members and 1,027 guests
No Members online

Old 03-25-2006, 11:28 AM

Re: I love makeup!!

Quote:
Originally posted by ilddd3
I went to the Bare Minerals website and really didn't get an explaination. Can someone tell me more?
What do you want to know?
Old 03-25-2006, 01:11 PM
GreekChat Member

For those who are using Jergen's Natural Glow or something like it:

Are you putting it on your face? I've been testing a spot on my stomach using the Neutrogena Summer Glow, and I like what I'm seeing. (I can't use the Jergen's stuff for the face because I'm allergic to that lotion). Or should I just use a bronzer? I'm basically planning to use it on legs, arms, chest, and friends are telling me to put some on the tops of my feet, the back of my hands, tops of ears, and my neck, because if it's supposed to look like a tan, it'll look weird if you've got some pale places.
Old 03-27-2006, 01:23 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Denise_DPhiE
Katie - no I haven't put it on my face but I love the results it gives my white legs!
Old 03-27-2006, 06:00 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to ilddd3
Re: Re: I love makeup!!

Quote:
Originally posted by AOIIalum
What do you want to know?
How is it supposed to be different?
Old 03-27-2006, 06:53 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Denise_DPhiE
Katie - no I haven't put it on my face but I love the results it gives my white legs!
Jergens has a facial moisturizer that does the same gradual tan thing.
Old 03-27-2006, 07:07 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to PhoenixAzul
One word:

Aveda.

I'm an Aveda addict. If it wasn't so bloody expensive, I'd use everything they make.

But I absolutely NEED the Self Control Styling stick for my hair (short 'n shaggy ). I like the rosemary and mint shampoo too.
Old 03-27-2006, 08:30 PM

Everything you ever wanted to know about Bare Minerals, and actually asked :)

Well, BE/Bare Minerals is mineral makeup. It gives me good coverage without feeling the makeup on my skin, which always drove me insane about foundation. BE is a more natural product without a lot of the chemicals you find in other products. Also, the minerals provide a natural SPF protection (most are SPF 15 but the Summer Bisque multitasker/concealer is SPF 20 I think?) That's always a good thing. Also, a little goes a LONG way with BE, so the stuff lasts. I bought my starter kit last fall over Thanksgiving weekend, and I've still got plenty to use up!

I also like it because you can get a variety of shades and it's easy to custom blend foundations, all overs/blushes, and eyeshadows. It's also VERY forgiving--if you apply too much or the color is off, it's easy enough to buff it down. I love the "radiances" and the "all over face colors" the most, even more than the foundation. Good brushes are your friend. The BE ones are okay, I like the soft focus and concealer brushes a lot.

It's really important to make sure to exfoliate and moisturize when you use mineral makeup. I was using the Aveeno Positively Radiant skincarewhen I first started, but I got a sample of philosophy's Purity Made Simple cleanser when I got my BE starter kit. Now, that's a cleanser, but that's another story for another post! I've switched to philosophy for skin care and am really pleased with my skin from using that and the BE. Also, the buffing is what warms up the minerals to your skin and is crucial. I usually pre-conceal by just patting on Bisque where needed, then use a Kabuki for foundation (I've got the medium kit foundations), then instead of the mineral veil (makes me itch) I do a *light* covering of clear radiance. I can wear Warmth (many people can't, use an extremely light hand with Warmth!), but prefer either Glee or Trudy. Really, Warmth is a bronzer and you only need a couple of grains of the stuff. BE won't ever call Warmth a bronzer though!

There are 3 BE shows on QVC tomorrow, so if you can watch you'll get a lot of info and tips about the products then. Also, if you're thinking about trying BE, get the starter kit from the BE website and not Ulta or Sephora. It's the best deal out there, period, because instead of just the 3 brushes/2 foundations/warmth/mineral veil/how to dvd--you get the baby buki brush AND well rested. Well Rested originally was an eyeshadow, but it also works to conceal and just as a great shadow base. I've got dark lids and WR really lightens and evens out that area for me. It's a great value for the price.

Just about anything else you'd ever want to know about the makeup at http://www.beaddicts.com/BEFaqs.html. Also there's http://forums.delphiforums.com/bareescentuals/start (message board community of BE users) and
http://community.livejournal.com/bar...w=86203#t86203 (great application tutorial)

Oh, if you want to try samples, I can vouch for http://www.colorfulsprinkles.com/. Great customer service and prices and generous samples.
Old 03-27-2006, 09:11 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to ilddd3
Thanks That was quite a bit of info. Definitely didn't find that on the website.
Old 03-28-2006, 12:51 PM
GreekChat Member

I am also a huge addict of Bare Minerals makeup.
I loved the Benefit playsticks, also, for something creamy like, but it goes on creamy and then stays put- it doesnt rub off like most makeups... but it is nothing compared to Bare Minerals.

I bought the starter kit from Ulta, but I am probably going to go ahead and get the kit from them. I also have some of their eyeshadows, the summer bisque (for concealing) and an extra foundation to blend the colors right. I started with the medium which does well for everyone in my family, including my aunt that has had skincancer before- she is super paleand has pink undertones. My mom has a yellow undertone that darkens quickly in sun and they are sisters so like I said just about everyone can use it.

The great thing is it really does cover! Any pimples or discolorations are GONE and yet, it is so light it doesnt feel like makeup at all, it doesn't wear off or wipe off.

the other great thing is because they are natural minerals you can fall asleep in it and not feel guilty... I am infamous for doing that.

For Mascara, let me recommend three types- depending on your type.
First one is Bad Gal lash by Benefit- I think it costs $22 but it is like fake eyelashes in a tube. It lengthens and gives tons of volume.
I also really REALLY was surprised by Max Factor newest mascara Lash Perfection. The wand is not like any other wand I have used and it grabs EVERY lash and looks terrific. I use this for everyday wear, plus it is cheaper. Its great for work and doesn't look as exotic as the Bad Gal Lash.
I also have Bourjous mascara with the click additions. I like it for weekend use, I use it with the Bad Gal for extra length on the far ends of my eyes as well as the color additions for added oomph when you go out to the clubs or whatever. The green looks great on my eyes but I also have the blue.

Skin care stuff- I have HYPER Sensitive skin, as in ANY oil will break me out. I used to use the expensive oil free moisturizer from Clinique but now I am using Johnson and Johnson acne oil free moisturizer. It works well and absorbs well.. for cleansing I love the Loreal stuff in the blue bottles- forget what it is called right now- it is a great exfoliant and the toner really works well.

I do makeup on the side anymore for weddings and stuff for people I know... for makeup brushes, invest the money and buy good brushes- if you dont want to go too expensive try Japonesque. Honestly even some cheap makeup will look better if you use the GOOD brushes.
Hope that helps!

Facebook
Old 03-28-2006, 12:54 PM
GreekChat Member

Pro-Active...seriously when I get a monthly breakout from the joys of being a female it clears me up in a day.
Old 03-28-2006, 02:52 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by KatieKate1244
For those who are using Jergen's Natural Glow or something like it:

Are you putting it on your face?
Yep I put it on my face, but I wouldn't recommend it for people that are prone to break-outs. They make the stuff specifically for your face, but I just use the regular lotion because my face doesn't usually break out. You should put the lotion anywhere that you would naturally tan, or else it would look really odd.

PhoenixAzul... I agree with the Aveda comments!! I switched to their hair care a few years ago, and have been a devoted customer since. I use the Scalp Benefits for everyday use, and Sap Moss if my hair gets a little dry. Rosemary Mint is awesome too.

Chanel eye make-up has been my favorite to date, and I pretty much stick to that. Plus I LOVE their Glossimers.
Old 03-28-2006, 07:19 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to ZTAMich
I just found out the bf gets a discount at the Estee Lauder Company store here in NYC thru his work. That's SO many brands!!!

Stila & Aveda & MAC OH MY!

What to buy first? I'm a little lost HELP
Old 03-28-2006, 08:35 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by UKTriDelt
Yep I put it on my face, but I wouldn't recommend it for people that are prone to break-outs. They make the stuff specifically for your face, but I just use the regular lotion because my face doesn't usually break out. You should put the lotion anywhere that you would naturally tan, or else it would look really odd.
I'm allergic to the Jergen's formula, so I can't use the stuff for faces. Bascially, I've been putting a tiny bit on my face, and it's seems to be working so far.
Old 04-26-2014, 05:22 AM

Big ginormous bump! What do you say ladies?

Pretty much all the things I listed are still faves, except those that hwve gone to that great cosmetics counter in the sky.

A few additions:

Urban Decay Naked 3 palette - I swear this was made especially for me. Every single shade works.

Nars Orgasm illuminator. (If I could buy Nars everything I would.)

Nivea body wash in the white container

Scent - Lady Stetson (still crazy after all these years), Ralph Lauren Pure Turquoise, Rare Gold, and Hanae Mori Butterfly.
Old 04-26-2014, 09:43 AM
GreekChat Member

Oooooh how have I never seen this thread before? Make-up junkie!

Nars blush in Orgasm, the lipgloss is great as well.

Max Faxtor Smooth Effect foundation, very light, oil-free

Dior Diorshow waterproof mascara

Essie is my favorite for nailpolish, tart deco a current favorite.

Dr Organic Argan Oil Bodywash

Moroccan Oil for my hair, makes is so soft and easy to style

Dolce and Gabbana no 3 L'Imperatrice is my go-to scent.

Most of my other beauty products are from a Dutch store called HEMA, cheap, great colors and small packaging so I don't have to buy huge amounts of each color. Their mineral powder is the best.