GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,421
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, LeahArguet
» Online Users: 2,742
1 members and 2,741 guests
Xidelt

Old 05-23-2008, 06:16 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaneSig View Post
Lake Erie College has one local sorority. Is Gamma Phi Beta absorbing them or doing a 'ground up' colonization?
I have no idea, though I have a feeling we'll be colonizing from scratch, since there was no mention of a local sorority.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 06-06-2008, 10:32 PM
GreekChat Member

Just officially heard that AEPhi will be absorbing the Epsilon Phi local at UC Irvine!
Old 06-06-2008, 11:23 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AEPhiSierra View Post
Just officially heard that AEPhi will be absorbing the Epsilon Phi local at UC Irvine!
Oh cool! I was wondering about that!
Old 06-07-2008, 03:30 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Awesome! Congratulations, AEPhi! I had a feeling (which I stated before) that y'all would be their top choice. Good luck with the colonization.

AOII

One Motto, One Badge, One Bond and Singleness of Heart!

Old 06-09-2008, 05:46 PM
Unregistered-

I'm surprised no one's posted this yet.

Alpha Gamma Delta will be returning to Arizona State University with the re-colonization of the Delta Xi Chapter in Spring 2009.
Old 06-12-2008, 11:58 AM
GreekChat Member

Congratulations, AGD! I'm sure y'all are excited to get a chapter back...I know we always are!

AOII

One Motto, One Badge, One Bond and Singleness of Heart!

Old 06-12-2008, 03:14 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
That's fantastic news!
Old 06-12-2008, 11:58 PM
GreekChat Member

Appalachian State University

Not sure if this has been posted before:
"Students at Appalachian State University interested in Greek life will see an increase in the number of organizations they can choose from beginning in the fall.

Sigma Alpha Epsilon will join the Interfraternity Council fraternities, and Alpha Omicron Pi will be added to the Panhellenic Council sororities, said Aaron H. Bachenheimer, Greek advisor and assistant director for the Center for Student Involvement and Leadership.

Currently, Appalachian State has 12 existing IFC fraternities and seven existing PHC sororities.
Due to the number of students who choose to become a part of Greek life as well as the growth of the university, the expansion was deemed necessary, Bachenheimer said". ...............
http://theapp.appstate.edu/content/view/3674/1/

Last edited by jon1856; 06-13-2008 at 12:02 AM.
Old 06-20-2008, 04:29 PM
GreekChat Member

Florida International University

New [Sigma Kappa] Chapter Coming to Florida

Sigma Kappa Sorority is pleased to announce the acceptance of the invitation to colonize a new chapter at Florida International University in Miami, in September 2008. Collegiate women who attend FIU or will attend FIU this fall and are interested in joining Sigma Kappa can obtain more details on the colonization by clicking on Join Us, Extension, New Chapters. Details about our colonization activities will be posted in August. If you have specific questions please contact the Sigma Kappa extension team at fiu@sigmakappa.org.

Alumnae interested in assisting with the Florida International University colonization or providing new chapter support will find information in For Sisters Only under News and Events on the For Sisters Only homepage in the upcoming months. Thank you for supporting Sigma Kappa extension!

ETA: I just came across this news and didn't know BetteDavisEyes had already posted it.

Last edited by TSteven; 06-20-2008 at 04:36 PM. Reason: Did not read previous posts
Old 06-20-2008, 09:51 PM
GreekChat Member

Edited because my info may not have been completely accurate.

Last edited by pbear19; 09-14-2008 at 11:30 PM.
Old 06-21-2008, 02:40 AM
GreekChat Member

I've been waiting FOREVER to announce this on GC, but it's finally on the Kappa website, so I'm liberated.

We're starting a colony at Santa Clara University! HOORAY!!!!
Old 06-21-2008, 04:27 AM
GreekChat Member

I'm impressed

Good job to Alpha Delta Pi and Kappa Delta, who seem to be the most prolific next year.

If there's an award for winning "prized" school expansions, then kudos are in order to Pi Beta Phi and Alpha Phi. The Pi Phis got NYU (though perhaps not a very Greek school, a very well-respected and well-known institution) and MIT (ditto on the Greekiness factor, but WOW will you have some amazing new sisters!) and an SEC school in Mississippi State.

Alpha Phi comes in second with an SEC in University of Alabama and another well-known, well-respected Southern school in Georgia Tech.

Good job ladies, I love seeing all of this expansion and thriving!
Old 06-21-2008, 02:27 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to breathesgelatin Send a message via AIM to breathesgelatin Send a message via MSN to breathesgelatin Send a message via Yahoo to breathesgelatin
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAblondeGPhi View Post
If there's an award for winning "prized" school expansions, then kudos are in order to Pi Beta Phi and Alpha Phi. The Pi Phis got NYU (though perhaps not a very Greek school, a very well-respected and well-known institution) and MIT (ditto on the Greekiness factor, but WOW will you have some amazing new sisters!) and an SEC school in Mississippi State.
Uh... isn't MIT like 40-50% Greek?? At least for the guys? (Not sure about women's Greek Life percentage).
Old 06-21-2008, 03:40 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by breathesgelatin View Post
Uh... isn't MIT like 40-50% Greek?? At least for the guys? (Not sure about women's Greek Life percentage).
According to their website "More than 30 percent of the undergraduate population is affiliated with a fraternity, sorority, or independent living group."

It does not specify how many of that number are independent living groups. There are 5 of those, 4 coed and 1 female only. For their 30% statistic they are also including a coed fraternity. None of which tells what percent of women are in one of the NPC groups, but the total for all students has to be under 30% when you take out the independent living groups.
Old 06-21-2008, 04:01 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LucyKKG View Post
I've been waiting FOREVER to announce this on GC, but it's finally on the Kappa website, so I'm liberated.

We're starting a colony at Santa Clara University! HOORAY!!!!
Ooooh, my cousin is going to Santa Clara in the fall and is thinking about checking out Greek Life. I'll have to tell her there's a new NPC group coming to the campus. How exciting!