GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Alumnae Initiation

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 964
0 members and 964 guests
No Members online
Closed Thread

Old 07-19-2005, 10:40 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by SmartBlondeGPhB
You're assuming this hasn't already been done............which would be a VERY bad assumption.
Then.. if you:
1. Had e-mailed the person who you have a problem with
and
2. E-mailed this to John

Then... what do you hope to gain by bringing this public?
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 07-19-2005, 10:41 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by 33girl

However, since doing that some people seem to think that since there's a forum for it that it is much more common than it really is.
And that is a problem.. how?
Old 07-19-2005, 11:12 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
The only reason for the creation of the AI subforum was the AI threads were taking over the alumni forum. Real alumni issues weren't getting discussed because people were tired of wading through the AI threads and avoided the forum totally. So, we split it. The intention was not to further publicize, condone or push AI.
Thanks for clearing that up! Knowing the forum's orgin, I can see both views regarding the positives & negatives of this sub-forum.
Old 07-19-2005, 11:14 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by blueangel
Then.. if you:
1. Had e-mailed the person who you have a problem with
and
2. E-mailed this to John

Then... what do you hope to gain by bringing this public?
I am not the one who started it all.......... I simply pointed out that there are a lot of things that a lot of people aren't aware of.
Old 07-19-2005, 11:18 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
And that is a problem.. how?
Because it's not as common as people seem to think. You of all people should know that.

Yes, it is common for my org, yes most (not all) alumnae chapters are aware of it and promote it. But my org is more the exception than the rule.
Old 07-19-2005, 11:41 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by SmartBlondeGPhB
Because it's not as common as people seem to think. You of all people should know that.
Yes, of course I know that. And you know I know that

I'm just trying to find out why the assumption that AI is more common than it is really is-- seems to be such a problem? Isn't a forum here to share information? From what I've noted on these forums, that information quickly gets across to any PNM who makes that assumption.

So, I again ask... what's the problem?
Old 07-19-2005, 01:27 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by 33girl
The only reason for the creation of the AI subforum was the AI threads were taking over the alumni forum. Real alumni issues weren't getting discussed because people were tired of wading through the AI threads and avoided the forum totally. So, we split it. The intention was not to further publicize, condone or push AI. The same thing happened with the splits in the Chit Chat forums.

However, since doing that some people seem to think that since there's a forum for it that it is much more common than it really is.
I'm writing a new book... its called "Everything I've always wanted to know, I learned from 33"

SmartBlonde - more exception than the rule as you stated seems to fit a lot of topics on here
Old 07-19-2005, 03:56 PM

There's not necessarily a problem with the AI subforum. As 33 stated, the AI subforum was created because the AI threads were taking over the Alumni forum. Yes, this forum is here to share information and to discuss AI. But it's important that correct info be available.

AI is a wonderful thing and I am thrilled that my own sorority does allow AI. We all know that not every sorority does AI and those that do, handle the concept differently. I think there is concern that in this particular subforum that at times some of the conversations get a little too close to MS issues and just are not really appropriate. Also, global generalizations are generally not helpful when it comes to the AI process. I really believe that it would greatly benefit all users of this forum to have a moderator knowledgable and sensitive to the unique needs of this particular topic. Doing so would go a long way would go a long way to help the AI subforum be a more positive spot for any/all GC members who are interested in the subject.

Let's be realistic, the overwhelming majority of the participants in the AI subforum are those persuing AI and members of NPC groups. Again, it's NOT a knock against the existing moderators or any GCer who was lucky enough to find their home as an alumna! But, it is a small percentage of not only NPC women, but of GC users.

As for a perception that AI is more common than it really is: We (as in the folks who read/post in this subforum) generally know it's a rare honor to be invited to AI with a sorority. But, the perception of a new user may be different and that's part of the concern. They don't think that there's maybe 50,000-100,000 living members of a sorority and there's a handful of AI's each year! But, when you look at a roll call thread with 30+ AIs listed with another 20 or so interested in AI, you could get the idea that it's a common occurrence.

I hope this makes some sense to you, blueangel, and anyone else who's been wondering. If not, I'm sure you'll ask why...and that's okay by me.

Fraternally,
Christin
Old 07-19-2005, 05:38 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by AOIIalum
There's not necessarily a problem with the AI subforum. As 33 stated, the AI subforum was created because the AI threads were taking over the Alumni forum. Yes, this forum is here to share information and to discuss AI. But it's important that correct info be available.

AI is a wonderful thing and I am thrilled that my own sorority does allow AI. We all know that not every sorority does AI and those that do, handle the concept differently. I think there is concern that in this particular subforum that at times some of the conversations get a little too close to MS issues and just are not really appropriate. Also, global generalizations are generally not helpful when it comes to the AI process. I really believe that it would greatly benefit all users of this forum to have a moderator knowledgable and sensitive to the unique needs of this particular topic. Doing so would go a long way would go a long way to help the AI subforum be a more positive spot for any/all GC members who are interested in the subject.

Let's be realistic, the overwhelming majority of the participants in the AI subforum are those persuing AI and members of NPC groups. Again, it's NOT a knock against the existing moderators or any GCer who was lucky enough to find their home as an alumna! But, it is a small percentage of not only NPC women, but of GC users.

As for a perception that AI is more common than it really is: We (as in the folks who read/post in this subforum) generally know it's a rare honor to be invited to AI with a sorority. But, the perception of a new user may be different and that's part of the concern. They don't think that there's maybe 50,000-100,000 living members of a sorority and there's a handful of AI's each year! But, when you look at a roll call thread with 30+ AIs listed with another 20 or so interested in AI, you could get the idea that it's a common occurrence.

I hope this makes some sense to you, blueangel, and anyone else who's been wondering. If not, I'm sure you'll ask why...and that's okay by me.

Fraternally,
Christin

Thank You Christin, I have repeatedly said this or tried to.

AI is or may not be for everyone.

It depends on the Individual and The Organization.

Because AI is so New to may of Us, it is becoming more Popular.

Of course, it has to come from learning what each GLO does.

It has been seen on GC from the many Who have attained AI Status with GLOs and Who have become very Important Members of a GLO.

I stated on another Post that I asked LXA about AI Status. They/We/I did not have an answer and asked why.

They came out with a Position Statement on Our Web Site and Email Listing so stating.

I also do not feel that an Individual should jsut Mass Shop for a AI Situation.

They should look and investigate the most positive GLO that fits with what they both beleive and feel to be a true fit.

But if I was a possible PNAI and read these or some of these Posts, I would ask My Self, why in the Heck would I want to do something like this? Is it or would it be worth it?

Well, for all of the People and New Posters who have joined us, Please look into it.

There are some and then there are others, You each individually must make Your own decission on what You want to do.

Seek and Ye Shall find, ask and there are Many who will help you for information.

Oh in answer to 33,s question or what ever the statement was, that was why AI Sub Forum was started. Uncluter Alum Forum and place it into a more prominent position.

This is and can be a New Wave of Of Men and Women who for some reason couldnt join as an Under Graduate.

LX Z # 1
Alumni
Old 07-21-2005, 03:22 PM
GreekChat Member

"As for a perception that AI is more common than it really is: We (as in the folks who read/post in this subforum) generally know it's a rare honor to be invited to AI with a sorority. But, the perception of a new user may be different and that's part of the concern. They don't think that there's maybe 50,000-100,000 living members of a sorority and there's a handful of AI's each year! But, when you look at a roll call thread with 30+ AIs listed with another 20 or so interested in AI, you could get the idea that it's a common occurrence. " Christin

You're right! I'm glad I started my AI process when the list was very small. Otherwise, I might be crushed by my 2 year wait! The list of successful AIs could be very misleading to someone who doesn't yet understand the huge scope of the NPC.

LM

(An Edit has been made because I can't do math!)

Be a Volunteer!

Last edited by LouisaMay; 08-03-2005 at 10:24 AM.
Old 07-21-2005, 05:53 PM
Banned

<<<You're right! I'm glad I started my AI process when the list was very small. Otherwise, I might be crushed by my 3 year wait! The list of successful AIs could be very misleading to someone who doesn't yet understand the huge scope of the NPC.>>

I'm very surprised to hear you say that, LM. Did you base your entire perception of AI on a single list? Are you saying you ignored the many posters who constantly stated that AI is an extremely difficult process?

I find it impossible to believe that a new poster would come on this thread, read all of our experiences, and assume AI is easy-- just on a single list. And if they do... we'll set 'em straight!
Old 07-22-2005, 11:51 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:

I'm very surprised to hear you say that, LM. Did you base your entire perception of AI on a single list? Are you saying you ignored the many posters who constantly stated that AI is an extremely difficult process?

I find it impossible to believe that a new poster would come on this thread, read all of our experiences, and assume AI is easy-- just on a single list. And if they do... we'll set 'em straight!
Oh, of course not! But don't you get a little thrill every time you see another name go on the list It's easy to think...that could be me!!

As I stated in my message, "the list of successful AIs could be very misleading to someone who doesn't yet understand the huge scope of the NPC." I can proudly say that I had gained a realistic understanding of the NPC through much research before gauging my chances of success or even before I made any steps toward AI.

I only wanted to express that Hope, realistic or otherwise, can be fed so easily. That's not ALWAYS a bad thing...

Be a Volunteer!
Old 07-22-2005, 12:00 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
I keep reading about all of these PNM's for AI who "have not done their homework" and who "were cut by all houses in college" and who are "crazies."

WHERE ARE THEY??? WHO ARE THEY????
To be blunt, I've seen several, but there's no way in hell I'm going to name names. People have posted things in this forum I can't even believe anyone would post in public. There have also been people who have contacted members of GC, whom they've never met in person, to request sponsorship. Then, there are some people who just for whatever reason, don't seem right to me.

We may disagree on whether a particular person is an appropriate candidate, and that's cool.
Old 07-22-2005, 02:53 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
There have also been people who have contacted members of GC, whom they've never met in person, to request sponsorship. Then, there are some people who just for whatever reason, don't seem right to me.

Yes. This has happened to me. It is a bit creepy.
Old 07-22-2005, 04:09 PM
Banned

<<<To be blunt, I've seen several, but there's no way in hell I'm going to name names.>>

Why not? If they posted it publically, then it is in the public domain. I still would like to see some of these alleged horrible posts. Nobody has been able to come up with a single piece of evidence to back up this claim.

With the exception of one woman who had a "roommate" who liked to play on her computer, I haven't seen a single post which falls in to the catagory that is alleged here.

Quite the contrary... I have only seem women who have researched AI, and who showed every evidence of really wanting it for the right reasons. And, I think that is why such a high proportion of women on this forum have been AI'd... because they did their homework, felt passionately about belonging to a sisterhood, and who took the steps necessary to be invited in.

<<People have posted things in this forum I can't even believe anyone would post in public. >>

Like what? Quite frankly, I've seen some things posted in a few other forums that I can't believe anyone would post in public. I've seen evidence of some GC'ers ganging up on other GC'ers-- cyber-bullying-- definately showing that they are not living their ritual... and I've seen blantant sexual discussions about things that do not belong in public and should be kept private.

<< There have also been people who have contacted members of GC, whom they've never met in person, to request sponsorship.>>

So what is the problem? You just say no. I would never sponsor anyone I had never met or knew well.... because that just defeats the purpose of recs.

<< Then, there are some people who just for whatever reason, don't seem right to me.>>

There are some people on other forum who don't seem right to me either... so should we shut down all of GC?
Closed Thread