GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,140
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, zolivilittlez29
» Online Users: 846
4 members and 842 guests
Cookiez17, Mooch279

Old 05-26-2002, 11:50 PM
Super Moderator

Question Fraternity Rush or Sorority Rush?

Would you rather go through the Fraternity Rush system or the Sorority Rush system? What do you think the good and bad things are about each at your school? Just curious. My school is currently redesigning our fraternity rush which has been more or less a free for all. I'd just like to see what everyone else likes/dislikes about their system.

Thanks!
Mu Tau 5, Central Oklahoma
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 05-27-2002, 12:58 AM
GreekChat Member

At Nebraska, I'd have to say Fraternity rush.

Sorority recruitment really is a rush!!! I don't know how they can do it all in just 4 days. At least with frat rush we have the whole summer. It really gives both the rushee and the chapter a chance to get to know each other.

Another aspect of sorority that I don't like is that at Nebraska, PNM's are only allowed to go through a max of 10 houses on the first day. That means that there is a round of cuts done by the houses before the girls even arrive on campus, or it means that a girl has to make a decision about not going to a house before she's even settled in to her dorm room...let alone gathered enough information to make a decision (If she gets invites from more houses than the max). I wonder how many girls who end up dropping out of rush had to make a decision and unknowingly cut what could have been "THE" house for them.

Other benefits of Fraternity rush: If you live close enough (usually in-state) fraternities will come and take you out to dinner! I had several friends who when they were a couple days away from a paycheck, but out of cash would schedule a fraternity to take them out to dinner for the free meal. Also I think that our rush parties are more fun than sorority rush parties: hanging out at the lake getting a tan or worrying if you'll be cut b/c you don't have the correct clothes on?

Now of course I'm only speaking for summer rush. Other places where fraternity rush is also done during the school year I don't really know how I'd like that.
Old 05-27-2002, 09:08 AM

At my school - definitely sorority rush.

Fraternity rush is a total free-for-all. There are about 25 all-male fraternities and 5 coed groups. Back when I was there, rush started on Friday afternoon and fraternities started offering bids early Monday morning... that's not a lot of time to visit 30 houses in. So, you had to make use of summer rush and you had to have a good idea going in of where you might belong, before rush ever started... and you might unknowingly cut a house that would be a good place for you without ever having seen it. Plus, the first fraternity you visited was generally a random matter of which fraternity's members you happened to be nearest when rush started. From the fraternities' side, it's no picnic either... I know of one popular house where they would make a snap decision as soon as you walked in the door, whether or not to flush you immediately.

Sorority rush is more structured. There are only 5 sororities, so you can take the time to visit each and make well-considered decisions about which invitations to accept for each round. Aside from sorority rush, there are also those 5 coed groups, and 1 all-women's living group that's not a sorority, to visit.

I hear my school is going to deferred rush, though, where rush will be spread out over a couple of weekends. Hopefully that will make fraternity rush a little less hectic.
Old 05-27-2002, 09:59 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to TigerGirl52
I think that I would definitely go through sorority recruitment. I guess I feel that way for two reasons. Top reason being...I never went through formal recruitment. My sorority only holds informal recruitment and prior to joining my sorority I had not even thought about joining a GLO. I think it would be fun to have the chance to go through that. From talking to friends in other sororities and reading posts on here I can tell it's a truly memorable experience. My other reason has to do with what aephi alum has already said. Sorority recruitment at my school is far more organized than fraternity recruitment. I'm really weird when it comes to events being organized so I think it would bug the crap out of me to have to go through that.

Allison
Old 05-27-2002, 10:51 AM

I'd say fraternity rush.
Fraternity rush at my school has a very laid back atmosphere. I like that because it's not as stressful for fraternity members. There's not this five minute window between each party where you have grab a minute, brush your hair, fix your make up, grab some potato chips, and use the bathroom. At fraternity rush, you can do that when you want. They always have good food sitting out for all the PNM's such as chicken wings and pizza. Fraternity members can take some if they want which is great because they don't go nine hours without a good meal! PNM's can choose what houses they want to visit...they're not forced into visiting a house they'd never join such as possibly a house that they pledged last fall that didn't work for them. There were a few girls in our a new pledge class this year that had pledged another sorority the year before and then decided against it. They said the worst thing about rush is when they had to step foot into that house again and pretend to have a conversation with the girl but all the while knowing they were going to get cut. With fraternity rush, you wouldn't have to worry about stuff like that.
Old 05-27-2002, 11:37 AM

I'd like a combination of the 2, which is basically what the rush I went through was. (I guess you'd call it structured informal - this is before rush rules got so strict) We had to go meet every sorority at Meet The Greeks, but then we chose which theme parties to go back to. Also we got yummy food! The thing I liked was that all the parties were scheduled so there was no overlapping. I think it would suck to be a rushee and have to pick between one party and another.

The thing that EVERY rush, fraternity or sorority, should have is a mandatory meeting of every group at least once, even if it's for only 15 minutes. I think there are too many times in fraternity rush & COB where people blow off this or that group without even giving them a once over.
Old 05-27-2002, 08:55 PM
GreekChat Member

Unfortunately at my school, we have rush during Spring Quarter-not at the beginning of the school year like most regular schools. What this means is that while the potential new members have a year almost to get to know more about the fraternities and sororites that they are interested in, rush is somewhat of a formality for the more popular houses, because they already know who they want and if you haven't been up to the house all year, and they don't know you...well, they probably won't get to know you in the 3-4 weeks of rush. But I do admire you women during rush-I cannot imagine all that you have to go through in looking the right way and dressing up-guys just come in jeans and a button down shirt, and if you are a "dude", then nothing else matters!