GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Risk Management - Hazing & etc.
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Risk Management - Hazing & etc. This forum covers Risk Management topics such as: Hazing, Alcohol Abuse/Awareness, Date Rape Awareness, Eating Disorder Prevention, Liability, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,428
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, baangelasteaxdy
» Online Users: 2,296
0 members and 2,296 guests
No Members online

Old 07-23-2015, 10:39 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
I suppose why not? Just so long as we're not circling the fat...

Our Oklahoma State chapter has an alcohol free pledgeship which they were lauded for in our national magazine. Here is another fine example of how YMMV when you are discussing what constitutes hazing.
I think my opinion is colored by the fact that I pledged at the tail end of 21. Suggesting an alcohol-free pledgeship would be fine, or "requiring" it during initiation week--a short amount of time where solemnity is being observed. Even forbidding drinking to excess seems reasonable. But telling people of age that they can't have a glass of wine with their dinner for an entire pledge period seems like a ridiculous restriction.

If they're underage, that's a different kettle of fish.
Old 07-23-2015, 03:32 PM

If they're underage, they should be abstaining because they're underage, not because they're pledges - and actives who are underage should be doing the same. To assume that all pledges will be underage is problematic and discriminatory.
Old 07-24-2015, 01:53 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteRose1912 View Post
I think my opinion is colored by the fact that I pledged at the tail end of 21. Suggesting an alcohol-free pledgeship would be fine, or "requiring" it during initiation week--a short amount of time where solemnity is being observed. Even forbidding drinking to excess seems reasonable. But telling people of age that they can't have a glass of wine with their dinner for an entire pledge period seems like a ridiculous restriction.

If they're underage, that's a different kettle of fish.
I don't believe the chapter in question recruits anything but Freshmen.
Mu Tau 5, Central Oklahoma
Old 07-24-2015, 01:59 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
is problematic and discriminatory.
Not all discrimination is problematic.

http://www.osusigmanu.com/home

Have a look-see around this chapter's website. I don't imagine they really have a need or want to take in upper classmen.
Old 07-24-2015, 03:00 PM

Kevin, you're completely missing the point.
Old 07-24-2015, 10:21 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
Kevin, you're completely missing the point.
We're not NPC. Not everything is NPC. NPC can define what hazing is for NPC. It cannot for other organizations. We get to decide what is problematic for ourselves.
Old 07-30-2015, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firehouse View Post
I haven't posted in a long time but this issue - knocking fraternities off campus - concerns me. The administration at UCF is known in the state for being the most bullying/authoritarian toward its strong Greek chapters. The culture in the state of Florida is not one that produces an overabundance of 'obedient' undergraduate-age guys. I think it's hilarious that LXA has struck back at UCF in this way, although one of the earlier posters is right: if the sorority girls don't buy in their new group they'll fail in a year or so. But even with the Nazi-like cloud over the system, don't be surprised to see the individual sorority members push back at the University's dictates.
I know I'm a bit late in commenting on this thread, but the above is exactly right. UCF has lost all of its strongest chapters in a little over 10 years. It was spawned from incidents with two separate fraternities in the mid 00's. Ever since then UCF has been overzealous with taking down fraternity and sorority chapters for much smaller incidents that could easily be handled by suspending the offending members rather than the whole group.

I've talked to many friends affiliated with various GLOs at UCF during the time I was there. I've also seen many Facebook posts regarding this. There are very few alumni condemning this group. In fact, most have said they hope this serves as a lesson to UCF administration.

There should be oversight of these organizations, but the heavy-handed approach by UCF has backfired. I admit that I hope this group is successful in getting UCF to understand that they need to back off a bit.
Old 07-30-2015, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
We're not NPC. Not everything is NPC. NPC can define what hazing is for NPC. It cannot for other organizations. We get to decide what is problematic for ourselves.
It has zero to do with NPC. It has to do with telling people they can't do things that they're legally allowed to do. But hey, good luck with that.