GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 1,183
1 members and 1,182 guests
Cookiez17

Old 11-04-2008, 06:48 PM
GreekChat Member

Biannual formal rush?

I'm a high school senior, and am thinking about rushing a sorority next year. I was talking to my dad, who was in a fraternity when he was in college, and he said I should rush second semester, not first, because he thinks I won't get the full experience of dorm life and won't get to know as many people in my dorm because I'll be so busy. That is what he did, but is formal rush still held twice a year? I thought it was in the fall (unless deferred) and then COB for the rest of the year.

**Sorry if this is a repeat question; I tried searching for it and didn't come up with anything.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 11-04-2008, 07:21 PM
GreekChat Member

Location: Where stately oaks and broad magnolias shade inspiring halls
You've got it right and dad does have a point. However, depending on where you are going to college, your first semester freshman year may be your best shot.
Old 11-04-2008, 07:52 PM
GreekChat Member

Thanks
Old 11-04-2008, 09:47 PM
GreekChat Member

You will not be so busy you don't get to know others in your dorm. Depending on where you go to school next year, not rushing during formal recruitment if it does occur in the fall could hurt your chances of getting a bid, or at least a bid to your top choices.
Old 11-04-2008, 09:51 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by endofthemovie View Post
I'm a high school senior, and am thinking about rushing a sorority next year. I was talking to my dad, who was in a fraternity when he was in college, and he said I should rush second semester, not first, because he thinks I won't get the full experience of dorm life and won't get to know as many people in my dorm because I'll be so busy. That is what he did, but is formal rush still held twice a year? I thought it was in the fall (unless deferred) and then COB for the rest of the year.

**Sorry if this is a repeat question; I tried searching for it and didn't come up with anything.
It depends on the campus whether formal recruitment is fall or spring semester. I was at a campus that had "deferred recruitment," meaning formal recruitment was in the spring, and freshmen could not join until spring semester.
Old 11-04-2008, 10:42 PM
GreekChat Member

Plus, going through in the spring may not even be an option if formal recruitment is in the fall and all chapters are at total. It all depends where you go to school.
Old 11-04-2008, 11:00 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:

Depending on where you go to school, you'll probably end up getting to know a ton of people in your dorm through rush. That's what happened to me. Not in the same fraternity, but great guys.
Overall, though, it's the bigness of the car that counts the most. Because when something bad happens in a really big car – accidentally speeding through the middle of a gang of unruly young people who have been taunting you in a drive-in restaurant, for instance – it happens very far away – way out at the end of your fenders. It's like a civil war in Africa; you know, it doesn't really concern you too much. - P.J. O'Rourke
Old 11-05-2008, 03:58 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to breathesgelatin Send a message via AIM to breathesgelatin Send a message via MSN to breathesgelatin Send a message via Yahoo to breathesgelatin
Ditto what everyone else has said; it varies by school. Research what is common at YOUR school. Joining your first term may be your best shot and you are sure to still meet women on your hall.

Also, at one school fraternity and sorority recruitment can vary drastically. I can think of several places where it's almost unheard of for women to pledge NPC sororities outside of formal recruitment (whether held in the spring or fall), but the NIC fraternities might have two different pledge classes, one in spring and one in fall. So rather than listen to your dad (well, listen to him, but take it with a grain of salt), research and find out what you can from NPC members.
Old 11-05-2008, 02:50 PM
GreekChat Member

I'm sure your dad means well as I did when advising my daughters before they went to college. BUT...I realized that it had been a few years since I was in college and what worked for me in that time frame is totally different now.
My girls went to college in 06, rushed right away, were very active in their PC, and still had time to make friends in their dorm. What I noticed is most of their dorm friends scattered in the following year, they have kept up with some, but your sisters are forever.
Keep tuned into Greek Chat.
Old 11-05-2008, 04:26 PM
GreekChat Member

Point of clarification

Bi-annual means once every two years.
Semi-annual means once every half-year, or twice per year (like the semi-annual sales!)

That said, good luck with your recruitment! I went through formal recruitment in the fall ('05), and at my particular school, that was probably the best decision. We ALWAYS are able to take women in the fall, but whether or not we take girls in the spring is pretty variable. Open spots depend on things like girls graduating early (and, as unfortunate as it is, sometimes women do leave the sorority.) You know? <i>At my particular school.</i>

Everyone else is right, however, that that sort of thing is different at each school, and you might want to research your school specifically to see how it works. Do you know any girls who went Greek at the college you're planning to attend?

As for your dad's concerns, it depends highly on how good you are at managing your time. I feel like I got the whole experience, even as a first semester pledge, but I busted ass to do it... sleep was not really a priority!

Again, good luck!

Sigma Sigma Sigma
Old 11-05-2008, 04:31 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperblySigma View Post
Semi-annual means once every half-year, or twice per year (like the semi-annual sales!)
No.

Biennial means once every two years.

Biannual means twice a year.
Old 11-05-2008, 04:48 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Biennial means once every two years.

Biannual means twice a year.
Correct! Biannual is synonymous to semiannual.
Old 11-05-2008, 05:09 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
now I feel like a tard. It seemed odd when I was typing it, but I didn't feel like putting too much time into figuring out what was wrong, lol.

Quote:
Do you know any girls who went Greek at the college you're planning to attend?
No, my dad is actually the only Greek I know. I'm sure I could find sorority websites for whatever school I end up at, thinking about it now.

Thanks!
Old 11-05-2008, 05:14 PM
GreekChat Member

Thanks everyone! I've told my dad that fall would be my best bet, and he still doesn't want me to rush in the fall, but oh well. I'm not sure he really cares that much, lol.

Oh, and I looked up biannual at dictionary.com to find out if it's twice a year or twice yearly, and as it turns out, it can be both : )

bi⋅an⋅nu⋅al

–adjective
1. occurring twice a year; semiannual.
2. occurring every two years; biennial.
Old 11-05-2008, 05:45 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
No, my dad is actually the only Greek I know. I'm sure I could find sorority websites for whatever school I end up at, thinking about it now.

Thanks!

She is probably not in SEC country, so second semester might well be an option for Formal.