GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Dating & Relationships
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,452
Threads: 115,511
Welcome to our newest member, saphqueen
» Online Users: 1,431
1 members and 1,430 guests
babobygooglet93

Old 11-20-2011, 03:07 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaffyKD View Post
When I pledged KD, we received temporary big sisters on bid day. My temp big sis and my official big sis were best friends. My very best friend is the official little sis of my temp big sis (got it??? hope so because I can't repeat it and still sound sober). OK, temp big sis asked me to be in her wedding when I was a first semester law student. My BS was going to be the maid of honor, and the bride's little sis was another bridesmaid. The wedding was on a Saturday night. I had a final on Friday night and 3 on Sunday. The rehearsal was on Friday. I called bride the day I got the final schedule and told her my schedule and offered to drop out of the wedding (this was 3 months before the wedding). No, she wanted me still.

The same day I offered to drop out, she and her mother found that there was no place to have the wedding in December in which they could bring in all their own food. In order to have a wedding in which they did all the cooking they decided it had to be held at home-- no problem EXCEPT Dad decided if they were having the wedding at home they had to remodel the entire house. Construction begins almost immediately.

Bride picked patterns for brides maids dresses. We are all in hunter green but with different pattern. I don't sew. My mother does not sew. Bride says she will make my dress. I seem to be doing a lot of studying at her house with remodeling dust bothering me while she fits my dress. Everyone else has someone to make their dresses. Of course, the dress she picked for me has the most detail. Bride tells me at one fitting she will be making her own dress. We are now only 2 months to go. Construction is not going very quickly, bride has not started her dress.

3 weeks before wedding, house definitely will not be completed. Dad goes out to the first place he can find that has a room available for that particular Saturday night during holiday season and books the room It is a motor lodge.

I cannot attend the actual rehearsal since I am taking a final. Head over to the dinner and the father says to be in a loud drunken voice-- "You better not ruin the wedding tomorrow since your failed to show up for the rehearsal". My friends are as shocked as I am. As my best friend, big sister and I start to leave, bride says she better head out soon and START working on her wedding gown.

Saturday, I show up at the church at the appointed time. Bride shows up 1 hour late. Hair is a mess. She has been working on dress all night and all day. She had told us that she was going to have 50 small cloth covered buttons down the back of the dress. When she arrived she never got the button covered or put on the dress. We had to sew her into the dress.

The wedding as at an Episcopalian church. She wanted communion during the service. Maid of Honor and I were both Jewish. When priest offered us communion, we tried to say no very discreetly. As he stood in front of me getting frustrated because I would not take communion, I pulled a star out from under my gown. He proceeded to announce, "I can't believe these two girls turned down communion." YIKES!

At the reception, the food was awful, the room was super tiny, and the bride ignored all of the KDs. I was one of the first guest to leave since I had finals starting at 9 am. Maid of honor and my best friend left with me. A few weeks after the wedding she and new hubby moved into a newly build home. Maid of honor and I went to see them one day. She refused to talk to me because I left the wedding early. It has now been over 30 years and she still has not said 2 words to me.

DaffyKD
You just made feel lots better about my little sister's wedding. Which was not good, but wasn't as bad as this.

And if I were queen of the universe, I would ban hunter green bridesmaid dresses for all KD weddings. I'm that sick of them. If you need to put your bridesmaids in sorority colors, you are officially too young to get married. (And GET OFF MY LAWN!)
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 11-20-2011, 03:35 PM
GreekChat Member

Also, it seems weird to put your bridesmaids in srat colors, because I'm kind of hoping not ALL of your close female friends are in your sorority. Maybe it's just me though. At my hypothetical future wedding, I'll probably have one or two that are my sisters, and then my bio sis and friends from before/after college, none of whom are greek. It would be weird to see them all in wine and silver blue, like some weird sratbot unit.
Old 11-20-2011, 04:48 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWTXBelle View Post
Yes, it's a year later - but I thought I'd mention (for Mystic Cat) that my Anglican-Use Roman Catholic parish does still publish the banns. I love the banns.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishLake View Post
Oh, and Belle, around here, a full Catholic mass wedding is not the norm, unless both the bride and groom are Catholic. Hub and I had a full Catholic mass. I hate seeing little kids having to sit through a full mass wedding as a part of the wedding party. It's torture on them!
I'm marking this to remember to tell my Catholic-Presbyterian wedding story. I don't have time now and I don't want to forget.
Old 11-20-2011, 04:53 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by angels&angles View Post
Also, it seems weird to put your bridesmaids in srat colors, because I'm kind of hoping not ALL of your close female friends are in your sorority. Maybe it's just me though. At my hypothetical future wedding, I'll probably have one or two that are my sisters, and then my bio sis and friends from before/after college, none of whom are greek. It would be weird to see them all in wine and silver blue, like some weird sratbot unit.
Of my 4 bridesmaids, only one of them is a sister. Two are members of other organizations, and the last is my biological sister, who never went greek.
Old 11-20-2011, 05:37 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Yes, it's a year later - but I thought I'd mention (for Mystic Cat) that my Anglican-Use Roman Catholic parish does still publish the banns. I love the banns.
I still find it bizarre that in Canada, one of the things that led to Gay Marriage in the country was that Ontario Law basically says that if banns are posted and nobody objects then the couple is married. Two men did that and nobody who objected to Gay Marriage objected in time...
Old 11-20-2011, 05:56 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DeltaBetaBaby
Quote:
Originally Posted by WCsweet<3 View Post
There are so many problems with this story. But really a priest who sees the star and still doesn't get it? Yikes, glad I'm not in his parish.
I was at a sister's wedding a few years after graduation, and the priest invited the whole congregation up to take communion. Both the priest and the bride's dad were handing out the communion wafers. The priest noted that if you didn't wish to take communion, but wanted a blessing, you could come up and fold your arms instead of opening your hands.

So, I was sitting with another sister and her boyfriend. Both of them went up there, and she took communion, and he did not. Except, he was in the bride's dad's line, and the bride's dad didn't know what to do, so he just stood there looking puzzled for a minute, and then put his hand in the air and mumbled something.

A minor enough awkward moment, except that, when we were chatting after the service, the boyfriend told me that he thought that I was impolite for having remained seated.
Old 11-20-2011, 10:39 PM
GreekChat Member

I don't know if this counts as the worst ever but it is very weird.

Almost right after I graduated college I went to a sorority sister's wedding. The ceremony was nothing special but when we got to the reception. When we got the the reception there was no food and no beverages (alcoholic or not). A few minutes later someone came out with cold cuts and rolls from Costco. Someone else also ran out for a beer run.

The bride and groom also left the reception after 2 hours to go back to their hotel room. It was so early everyone stayed and continued the festivities with out them.
Old 11-20-2011, 10:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaBetaBaby View Post
I was at a sister's wedding a few years after graduation, and the priest invited the whole congregation up to take communion. Both the priest and the bride's dad were handing out the communion wafers. The priest noted that if you didn't wish to take communion, but wanted a blessing, you could come up and fold your arms instead of opening your hands.
I was in a sister's Catholic wedding and the priest made a point to tell us at the rehearsal that if we didn't want a blessing or communion (I did not as I'm not Catholic), to place one finger over our mouths to indicate to that when it was our turn. Problem solved. I assumed that all Catholic churches did that (or the folded arms thing) and that was the universal symbol for "do not want."

Lakers Nation.

Last edited by KSUViolet06; 11-20-2011 at 11:00 PM.
Old 11-20-2011, 11:23 PM
GreekChat Member

This may be a regional thing, but I've never seen anyone raise eyebrows, or get offended when someone stays in their seat for communion - especially at an event like a wedding or funeral where there is likely a significant number of non-Catholic guests present. I've always seen it more of a, "thanks for being quiet and respectful while we do our thing." I've even been to weddings where the priest asks non-Catholics to remain seated.

And for the record, some of my family members are very strictly observant Catholics, so if they had something to say, I would have heard it!
Old 11-20-2011, 11:53 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
That is cool considering even most Episcopal parishes don't use them any more.
Old 11-21-2011, 12:52 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSUViolet06 View Post
I was in a sister's Catholic wedding and the priest made a point to tell us at the rehearsal that if we didn't want a blessing or communion (I did not as I'm not Catholic), to place one finger over our mouths to indicate to that when it was our turn. Problem solved. I assumed that all Catholic churches did that (or the folded arms thing) and that was the universal symbol for "do not want."
Hmmm...the last Catholic church I attended had the following rules:

I want communion = outstretched hands
Just a blessing = folded arms
I don't want either = "reverently walk by"

When I attended mass with my aunt, she told me to just stay in my seat. I didn't know the finger over the mouth was a universal symbol for anything other than "Shhh be quiet" unless I'm doing it wrong in my head. Well, at least the priest told you ahead of time because a lot of them in this thread seemed to not have done that!

"My dreams have become letters." ~christiangirl
Old 11-21-2011, 07:08 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to WVU alpha phi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gusteau View Post
This may be a regional thing, but I've never seen anyone raise eyebrows, or get offended when someone stays in their seat for communion - especially at an event like a wedding or funeral where there is likely a significant number of non-Catholic guests present. I've always seen it more of a, "thanks for being quiet and respectful while we do our thing." I've even been to weddings where the priest asks non-Catholics to remain seated.

And for the record, some of my family members are very strictly observant Catholics, so if they had something to say, I would have heard it!
Co-sign. I am Catholic and have never thought twice when people remain seated at a Catholic wedding during communion. In fact, I'd be more caught off guard if I saw someone who I knew was not Catholic get up with the rest of us. Catholics who are divorced do not receive communion. My aunt falls into this category and she remains seated during communion.
Old 11-21-2011, 07:28 PM
GreekChat Member

We do the "folded arms - do not want" thing. Folded arms - get a blessing.
Old 11-21-2011, 07:36 PM
GreekChat Member

I thought that was standard, at least for the Western Church. I remember I was at an Orthodox service and went up for a blessing and I got weird. Fortunately I have talked to teh priest before the service and he had agreed to it.
Old 11-21-2011, 09:45 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to preciousjeni
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psi U MC Vito View Post
I thought that was standard, at least for the Western Church. I remember I was at an Orthodox service and went up for a blessing and I got weird. Fortunately I have talked to teh priest before the service and he had agreed to it.
In all the Russian Orthodox parishes I've been to, communicants fold their arms over their chests to receive. The priests place the Gifts directly into the communicant's mouth, either with a hand or a spoon.

In my parish, one of the young men brings his Jewish girlfriend to church pretty often. During communion, she remains seated, but she goes up for a blessing when the Antidoron is given.

We're pretty strict about who gets communion. Even faithful observers who haven't confessed/fasted before communion don't get it.

Talented, tested, tenacious, and true...
A woman of diversity through and through.