GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Risk Management - Hazing & etc.

Risk Management - Hazing & etc. This forum covers Risk Management topics such as: Hazing, Alcohol Abuse/Awareness, Date Rape Awareness, Eating Disorder Prevention, Liability, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,125
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, PiperJarma
» Online Users: 880
0 members and 880 guests
No Members online

Old 04-11-2006, 09:12 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to jubilance1922 Send a message via Yahoo to jubilance1922
Wow, interesting comments in this thread.

The fact remains that the only folks who know what happened are not on this board, so calling folks vicious names is not helping anyone. Let's try to keep this conversation adult and civilized.

As for Rudey, I personally feel that Tawanna Bradley was raped, and she got no justice. So yes, this could be another Bradley situation, where a young woman goes on trial instead of her alleged attackers.
Old 04-11-2006, 09:12 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by kddani
At the same time, it's not right to call this woman the names she's been called around here until she's been proven to be a liar.
I never said that it was, and I never defended the things that have been said about her.
Old 04-11-2006, 09:34 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by mccoyred
No, but the fact that the epithets (" Poor black crackhead stripper ", "dumb bitch" posted by macallan25) were racially based does matter.
Ah yes, it's better to just have some people on ignore. My list grew exponentially after the fratty board shipped it's people over here.
Old 04-11-2006, 09:46 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ilikehazing
I don't know why the media tried to play this as a stereotype, seeing as I always saw it as black men raping white woman, not vice versa.

I'm not really sure if I'm reading your post correctly or not. I am assuming that you are saying that traditionally, the 'stereotype' that you have been taught is that black men are out to rape white women rather than the reverse (and I'm also assuming that you are referring to this only as a stereotype and not as anything that you actually believe for fact). However, in our nation's history there has been a considerable legacy of rape of black women by white males. This is a practice that has widely been acknowledged as a part of slavery and the many years that followed. I believe that this is why you are seeing it mentioned so frequently in the media.
Old 04-11-2006, 09:58 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by KSigkid
I often wonder what happened to "innocent until proven guilty" in cases like this. No matter what happens, these guys will be labeled rapists for the rest of their life.
Well this is really a requirement for jurors when deciding on the outcome of a case. It is not a requirement for public opinion. That may be unfortunate as I am a fan of giving someone the benefit of the doubt, but I can't be mad at someone else who feels differently.
Old 04-11-2006, 10:37 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by jubilance1922
Wow, interesting comments in this thread.

The fact remains that the only folks who know what happened are not on this board, so calling folks vicious names is not helping anyone. Let's try to keep this conversation adult and civilized.

As for Rudey, I personally feel that Tawanna Bradley was raped, and she got no justice. So yes, this could be another Bradley situation, where a young woman goes on trial instead of her alleged attackers.
You can also think Tawana was an alien from Mars but it doesn't mean it's true. The courts did not agree, either in the criminal case or the lawsuits against Sharpton et al., and neither did the following evidence:

In the decision, the grand jury noted many inconsistencies in Brawley's story. Among these were the results of the rape kit, which did not indicate sexual assault. Also, despite her claim of having been held captive for days, Brawley was not suffering from exposure, was well nourished, and appeared to have brushed her teeth recently. There were no burns on her body, despite her clothing being charred. A shoe she was wearing was cut through, yet she had sustained no injuries to her foot. Testimony from her schoolmates indicated that she attended a local party during the time of her supposed abduction, and one witness claimed to have observed Brawley climbing into the garbage bag. An ex-boyfriend of Brawley's told Newsday that Brawley had admitted making the attack up.

A total of 180 witnesses were called during the trial. Brawley herself never testified. [2]

The motive Brawley may have had for faking the attack is not known. One hypothesis holds that Brawley, who skipped school to visit her incarcerated boyfriend the day of her disappearance, feared severe punishment from her stepfather, so she took the drastic step of staging an elaborate abduction. Few commentators believe she intended to create the media storm that resulted, but was instead swept up by a story that snowballed out of control.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tawana_Brawley

-Rudey
Old 04-11-2006, 10:38 AM
Banned

Quote:
Regardless of what happened or didn't happen, it is NOT appropriate to be calling this young BLACK woman some of the names that are being spouted in this thread.
Actually if someone lies and calls someone else a rapist, they deserve much worse than a few bad names. But then again that's IF that did happen and not REGARDLESS.

-Rudey
Old 04-11-2006, 10:40 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Rudey
You can also think Tawana was an alien from Mars but it doesn't mean it's true. The courts did not agree, either in the criminal case or the lawsuits against Sharpton et al., and neither did the following evidence:

In the decision, the grand jury noted many inconsistencies in Brawley's story. Among these were the results of the rape kit, which did not indicate sexual assault. Also, despite her claim of having been held captive for days, Brawley was not suffering from exposure, was well nourished, and appeared to have brushed her teeth recently. There were no burns on her body, despite her clothing being charred. A shoe she was wearing was cut through, yet she had sustained no injuries to her foot. Testimony from her schoolmates indicated that she attended a local party during the time of her supposed abduction, and one witness claimed to have observed Brawley climbing into the garbage bag. An ex-boyfriend of Brawley's told Newsday that Brawley had admitted making the attack up.

A total of 180 witnesses were called during the trial. Brawley herself never testified. [2]

The motive Brawley may have had for faking the attack is not known. One hypothesis holds that Brawley, who skipped school to visit her incarcerated boyfriend the day of her disappearance, feared severe punishment from her stepfather, so she took the drastic step of staging an elaborate abduction. Few commentators believe she intended to create the media storm that resulted, but was instead swept up by a story that snowballed out of control.

-Rudey
By comparing the cases, one would assume that the young woman in the Duke incident would have had an equally sinister reason for 'making up' the attack. I wait to see what it could be.
Old 04-11-2006, 10:41 AM
Banned

Quote:
No, but the fact that the epithets (" Poor black crackhead stripper ", "dumb bitch" posted by macallan25) were racially based does matter.
Is "dumb bitch" a racial epithet?

Was she poor? Was she a stripper? Did she turn this into an issue of black vs. white and thus make her being black very relevant?

Really, the investigation isn't done but from the beginning people have attacked these guys and said "Yeah I think they're rapists". That's not a mark you can take off easily if the investigation comes out against her. But the DA and the community chose to make this very public.

-Rudey
Old 04-11-2006, 10:45 AM
Banned

Quote:
By comparing the cases, one would assume that the young woman in the Duke incident would have had an equally sinister reason for 'making up' the attack. I wait to see what it could be.
I don't know what happened. I am not saying it did or it didn't but based on the very important DNA I don't see any evidence to suggest it did. Plus they have pictures and testimony from another hooker. Of course if the guys did it, they deserve punishment. What happens if they didn't though? Who will be responsible and punished? Will the residents of the community? The Duke feminazis? The black leaders who jumped on the bandwagon?

-Rudey
Old 04-11-2006, 10:48 AM
GreekChat Member

Bottom line despite everything else that's being said..... the 46 young men tested did not match any DNA recovered from her body. If 3 of them held her down and forcible raped her there would have been transfer somewhere. There was none. And now there are photos that show her arriving at the house already bruised and beat up.
Old 04-11-2006, 10:49 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to jubilance1922 Send a message via Yahoo to jubilance1922
Quote:
Originally posted by Rudey

-Rudey
Yeah, wikipedia is such an accurate source.

You can pull up whatever you want to Rudey, but I'm going to give the victim the benefit of the doubt. I know what sexual assault does to you and your state of mind. Not to mention, I never said that I thought these young men were guilty. I said that I believed Bradley, and I believe this young woman.
Old 04-11-2006, 10:51 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ecupidelta
Bottom line despite everything else that's being said..... the 46 young men tested did not match any DNA recovered from her body. If 3 of them held her down and forcible raped her there would have been transfer somewhere. There was none. And now there are photos that show her arriving at the house already bruised and beat up.
Doesn't mean that sexual contact happened without her consent.

I love how everyone in this thread thinks they are qualified to discuss what physical evidence "should" be present during a sexual assault. Is anyone here a forensic scientist? Police officer? Rape counselor? No? Well then, you're just reguritating stuff you've read somewhere else, and you have no clue if its true or not.
Old 04-11-2006, 10:53 AM
GreekChat Member

Re: Re: Re: So What Happens Now?

Quote:
Originally posted by XOMichelle
She has a point.... I mean, if they all wore condoms there would be no DNA evidence, right?
Incorrect. Using condoms will not remove all traces of DNA. In either case, no traces of latex were found so condom use isn't the issue either.
Old 04-11-2006, 10:57 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by jubilance1922
Doesn't mean that sexual contact happened without her consent.
No, but it sure goes a long way towards showing reasonable doubt.
Mu Tau 5, Central Oklahoma