GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 1,328
0 members and 1,328 guests
No Members online

Old 03-29-2018, 10:39 AM

Sigma Sigma Sigma presented to the University of Texas-Tyler.

I'll support the RedWolves, but in my heart I'll always be an ASU Indian. Go Tribe! (1931-2008)
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 03-29-2018, 01:11 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
Trilogy and ESA could hardly be called “underground” groups as the school is well aware of their existence, recognizes them, and they participate in Thon. ESA is also recognized by its national organization. An underground group is a Greek chapter derecognized by its national organization, the school, or both, and continuing to use all or most of the national organization’s rituals. It doesn’t mean “not affiliated with Panhellenic.” Penn State also has chapters of Gamma Sigma Sigma and Sigma Alpha Iota; since they aren’t Panhellenic associate members, do you consider them “underground” as well?

Tri Delta at Penn State was closed in 2010; Chi Omega was closed in 2014. Therefore, unless there are some egregiously slow members, it is doubtful that there are any members of either group who were ever a part of either closed NPC sorority. Regardless of the reasons the groups were started, they’ve stayed around and maintained membership. At the time Trilogy began, I seriously questioned the school’s allowing it as it had scuttled all the local “social/service” sororities several years prior and now seemed to be allowing the same thing - but, their call, not mine.

KBG might start from the ground up. They’re allowed to do that. They might include some or all of the AXO sisters whose chapter has been shuttered. They’re allowed to do that too. KBG might be recognized by the school or the school might not recognize them - but again, PSU’s call, not mine.

Student organizations of all kinds only stay around if students continue to join them and if the school permits them. It’s really not rocket science.
No. I do not consider Gamma Sigma Sigma and Sigma Alpha Iota as underground. They truly welcome anyone that wants to join and have legitimate service requirements. But, Trilogy and ESA do fit the definition. I believe there was an underground fraternity (former ATO chapter) at American University that was recently shut down. In that case, AU was well aware that they existed and warned students about the chapter. Being underground does not mean the university is unaware of their existence.

The founding of these two chapters was a direct result of the closing of DDD and XO. The women wanted to rebel against their former national offices and show that they could still party and have fun without recognition. If you look at ESA's social media it says XOXOXO. Trilogy reportedly uses DDD rituals and picked their name because of the inference to DDD. Do you think this is by chance??

My PSU daughter who is a member of an NPC chapter, has a roommate who is a member of one of these organizations. I have asked her why she joined. She, like many other girls who end up there, went through formal recruitment and was disappointed then dropped when she didn't get a bid to a "top tier" chapter.

After all the other freshman got their bids, she was second guessing her decision and that is when the underground chapters recruit. They are counting on picking up the disenfranchised. This is why they have remained on campus for years. They fill the need of women who wanted a Greek experience but didn't have the self esteem or guidance to lick their wounds and stick with the process.

Once they get in they say they like this option because their dues are cheap. They pay $80/semester vs. $600-700 for an NPC chapter. They are also not held to the standards that the NPC chapters are.

PSU has made a big push to crack down on Greek life. The max number of socials/semester dropped from 45 to 10. ESA and Trilogy can party as much as they want. No restrictions. They also don't have to pay the $90/semester Greek tax because they are not recognized by Panhel. They are "taught" that their structure is better than nationals because they have no one to answer to and no chance of getting their charter pulled--because they don't have one. Many of them drop when they become seniors because they can go to the bars and don't need the parties anymore. From an 18 year old's perspective, this sounds like a great deal.

The problem with KBG using this as their expansion strategy is that $80/semester can't sustain a national organization. If that were possible, every NPC chapter would do it. If dues raise, they lose that "competitive" advantage. If they want to develop an appreciation of lifelong membership in their collegians, they have to offer support, programming, leadership training and interaction with alumnae. If their members (like the one I mentioned) view their membership as nothing more than a couple of year drinking club, they won't have alumnae to stick around offering support to their collegians and sustaining the organization for the long term.

From the outside looking in, it seems that KBG is colonizing and chartering chapters at a rapid pace. I don't know if they are doing so with the vision of joining the NPC. If so, I would think it would be better to choose locations carefully (Penn State would not be my choice at this time!) and put resources into these chapters to ensure success. I don't see jumping in and grabbing women who just lost a charter as a well thought out long term strategy. These young women are on the rebound, so to speak. They are hurt, angry and rebellious; not the reasons that I hope women join my sisterhood.

President Barron wrote a blog last week blasting AXP, SAM and ASPi nationals for maintaining support of these chapters after the university pulled their recognition. It would seem that by allowing the men or women of chapter's whose nationals have pulled charters to continue with business as usual under a new name PSU is doing the same thing. As you say, that is PSU's call. I can't understand why this would be permitted. However, if they are allowing KBG to colonize and if they allow the collegians who were granted AXO alum status to join, it is clear that the crackdown on Greek life is all for show.

There are plenty of students interested in the experience and certainly room for another chapter in the NPC. On large campuses, with an imbalance in the # of fraternities and sororities, it would be especially welcome. It is my hope that if KBG is charting a path to that end, that they do so by adding honorable women who are joining their chapters with the purest of intentions vs. picking up a group who are looking for a way to simply beat the system. Call me naive, a purest or just hopeful but I do hope that is the way that this proceeds.
Old 03-29-2018, 01:37 PM
GreekChat Member

^^^

*mic drop*
Old 03-29-2018, 09:11 PM
GreekChat Member

On another note, no official word on whether it was a campus and/or HQ concern but the ΣΣΣ chapter at UNC-Pembroke has either been suspended or closed.
Old 03-29-2018, 10:10 PM
GreekChat Member

I wonder if that closure has anything to do with these tweets:

https://twitter.com/uncp_trisigma/st...89554133094400
https://twitter.com/trisigma/status/964890143508389888

Edit: https://www.yourdailyjournal.com/new...n-social-media
Old 03-29-2018, 11:17 PM
GreekChat Member

That’s what I’m hearing. The picture they keep talking about resurfaced a month ago.
Old 03-30-2018, 09:32 AM
GreekChat Member

On one hand, I don't get it: why stuff from a few years ago is still going around, and around (Tri Sigma and DG were specifically referenced in recent posts here for past events. Could have been any of us, right?).

OTOH this is indeed proof that THE INTERNET IS FOREVER (I guess).

We all have Those Chapters, folks. We ALL do. In the immortal words of Kermit, "it ain't easy being green". Meaning: we all take our turns under the bus.

Just my opinion, again.
Old 03-30-2018, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreekOne View Post
No. I do not consider Gamma Sigma Sigma and Sigma Alpha Iota as underground. They truly welcome anyone that wants to join and have legitimate service requirements. But, Trilogy and ESA do fit the definition.
There was a large thread on this subject a few years back. It’s called “underground” because it’s under the ground, i.e. no one can see it!!! And if these groups are as you claim, about nothing but partying, wouldn’t the first thing they’d get rid of be long, complicated national rituals?

Trilogy picked a name that evoked Tri Delta. No kidding. The founding members wanted to communicate who they were. But as we know, that was 9 years ago. The current members would have been in junior high.

As for ESA and KBG, it’s their business who they recruit. It’s their business how they run their chapters. They’re not NPC groups. If they operate in a way that will bring derision and chapter demise, it’s their funeral. As for your daughter’s roommate - is she enjoying her experience? Does she ever feel regret for not joining an NPC group? You say that they prey on women licking their wounds, but obviously they keep enough women around to maintain an organization. As for dropping when they’re seniors - that happens on some campi with NPC and IFC groups as well. Greek life is looked at as an “underclass thing.”

You’re old enough (as am I) to remember little sister organizations. When I was I think a junior, they were outlawed on my campus. One group (who had basically been running the fraternity as well as little sisters because the guys weren’t the swiftest) stayed together and formed a new sorority. Some of the women who’d been little sisters joined sororities, no problem. But some of them (including two of my dearest friends) wanted nothing to do with the structure and yes, the larger fees that went with being in an NPC. They would have been miserable and made everyone else miserable as well. That doesn’t make them awful people. It makes them self aware people.

That’s how I look at these groups. Greek life isn’t for everyone. NPC life isn’t for everyone. Better that someone who could care less about lifetime membership join a group with a similar mindset, rather than pledge a sorority and make herself and everyone else miserable.

And if these women are enjoying a Greek experience without the responsibility of being Greek - that is obviously the fault of the administration and the campus culture and this neck of the woods. Let’s get real: if Trilogy had formed at Bama or Ole Miss, they would have vanished within 6 months.
Old 03-30-2018, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZTheta View Post
On one hand, I don't get it: why stuff from a few years ago is still going around, and around (Tri Sigma and DG were specifically referenced in recent posts here for past events. Could have been any of us, right?).

OTOH this is indeed proof that THE INTERNET IS FOREVER (I guess).

We all have Those Chapters, folks. We ALL do. In the immortal words of Kermit, "it ain't easy being green". Meaning: we all take our turns under the bus.

Just my opinion, again.
I’m guessing that once you have been in the sunlight too long, extra layers of sunscreen are needed to keep you from getting burned.

I also wouldn’t (in today’s climate) discount the concept that it’s easier to make an example of the chapter on your campus that was dumb enough to put their business on the internet, as opposed to the chapter that everyone knows is a RMF smorgasbord but who keeps it off the web. It makes it look like you are really really doing something.
Old 03-30-2018, 12:59 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
And if these women are enjoying a Greek experience without the responsibility of being Greek - that is obviously the fault of the administration and the campus culture and this neck of the woods. Let’s get real: if Trilogy had formed at Bama or Ole Miss, they would have vanished within 6 months.
Yep, Bama or Ole Miss would have shut these down immediately.

And perhaps someone can fill me in as I'm new to this story and this situation - are they at all properly connected to the school as a general student organization? Or are they "rogue" organizations? ( as it sounds like in what I'm reading or at least how I'm understanding them).

And does it seem like more members of sororities that are being closed for "bad behavior" are going off and starting their own group as a social club type organization? I think I read that Tri-Delt at Indiana might have done this after being closed for poor behavior (for lack of a better term or maybe I'm wrong about that situation) and the same with a sorority at Dartmouth or some other schools. And maybe it's just that these "being closed chapters" (for poor behavior) are getting a lot more press due to the causes behind their closing.
Old 03-30-2018, 01:56 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Trilogy picked a name that evoked Tri Delta. No kidding. The founding members wanted to communicate who they were. But as we know, that was 9 years ago. The current members would have been in junior high.
I'm only here to say:

9 YEARS AGO?! It seems like it was yesterday.

That is all.

@~/~~~~
Old 03-30-2018, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCMS View Post

And perhaps someone can fill me in as I'm new to this story and this situation - are they at all properly connected to the school as a general student organization? Or are they "rogue" organizations? ( as it sounds like in what I'm reading or at least how I'm understanding them).
They are registered student organizations at Penn State. Trilogy is listed in the philanthropic category and ESA is listed in the service category.

I think that another huge reason these orgs can flourish at Penn State is because the NPC sororities don’t have houses, they have dorm wings. As opposed to someplace like Indiana, where loss of chapter = loss of gorgeous living space.
Old 03-30-2018, 03:42 PM
GreekChat Member

My question about the Groups at Penn State is how comfortable would an NPC group in good standing be with a member who was also part of Gamma Sigma Sigma, Epsilon Sigma Alpha, Trilogy or Sigma Alpha Iota.

I'd hope no problem with GSS, problem with Trilogy, and no clue for ESA or SAI. (and yes ESA may differ from the situations at other schools)
Old 03-31-2018, 11:55 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by naraht View Post
My question about the Groups at Penn State is how comfortable would an NPC group in good standing be with a member who was also part of Gamma Sigma Sigma, Epsilon Sigma Alpha, Trilogy or Sigma Alpha Iota.

I'd hope no problem with GSS, problem with Trilogy, and no clue for ESA or SAI. (and yes ESA may differ from the situations at other schools)
Most of the women that join Trilogy or ESA have gone through recruitment so did want a Greek experience. The few that did not go through recruitment couldn't afford the dues for an NPC group so join these because the cost is so much less. The girls that I know personally that went through recruitment as freshmen, dropped and then pledged ESA went through formal again as sophomores. In both cases, they were successful in joining chapters that they were rejected from as freshmen. The network of people that they befriended through ESA opened doors for them that were closed to them in a sea of 1800 pnms. After getting bids from NPC chapters, they terminated their membership in ESA.

This indicates to me that either the NPC chapters advised them this was not a good idea or they looked at these organizations as a stepping stone.

I understand the role these organizations fill for women who don't have the success they hope for with formal recruitment. My daughter's roommate is having fun with it. But, she does intend to try again next year through formal recruitment as a sophomore because she recognizes that she wants more than what ESA is offering.

My original point about these groups as it relates to KBG's expansion is that KBG is going to have to decide if they want to be a stepping stone organization and/or a safe haven to women who have lost their NPC charters, or if they are expanding with the goal of NPC affiliation. If their goal is to move toward NPC status, I suspect they will become an associate Panhellenic chapter at PSU and participate in formal recruitment. If they want to attract women looking for a option that costs less, has no restrictions and operates with little structure they will follow the path that ESA and Trilogy have taken.
Old 03-31-2018, 08:00 PM
GreekChat Member

DU/Vermont

DU is preparing to recharter the Vermont Chapter. The University of Vermont Chapter was founded in 1850 and withdrew from DU in 1854, existing as a local , Delta Psi, until 2005. Additionally DU will have installed six new chapters this year.