GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,040
Threads: 115,496
Welcome to our newest member, ausinpetrov7195
» Online Users: 1,637
3 members and 1,634 guests
MSKKG, Tridentia

Old 08-11-2015, 12:07 AM
GreekChat Member

Move in week

I made the mistake of going to Walmart during move in week last year
Old 08-11-2015, 06:58 AM
Super Moderator

Lol!
Old 08-11-2015, 11:25 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loyally Kappa View Post
Sorority move-in day is August 15th. Dorm move-in is the entire following week ... students move in on their scheduled day. I am so glad they started the new move-in schedule. Just a couple of years ago, everyone moved in on the same day and traffic in Oxpatch came to a screaching halt! However, like preparing for an ice or snow storm, I'm buying up everything I need for this coming week so that I can camp out at home until all the parental units head back home!
I know I'm quoting myself, but I want y'all to know how I am even offending myself by bringing in a bit of frozen meat to make it through the week. I usually shop daily for fresh stuff. A year ago, I wouldn't have had to do this, but a few months ago, I moved my elderly daddy in with me. He's okay with managing his breakfast and lunch on his own, but for dinner, we're on nursing home hours.

It is really sweet to have him toddling around my house. I'll keep him here as long as I am able.
Old 08-13-2015, 03:36 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluebell4 View Post
I made the mistake of going to Walmart during move in week last year
OM goodness how many times have I said the same thing moving my girls into the house. It is just like shopping during the worst day of Christmas season in the hottest and most humid day of the year! So glad that time is over!!
Old 08-13-2015, 03:41 PM
GreekChat Member

It is my understanding this is the last year for skits during recruitment. I believe the administration is moving towards a more no-frills recruitment and a more values-based recruitment.

The ADPi house should be ready for move-in I believe this weekend. It looks gorgeous!
Old 08-13-2015, 03:55 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by OleMissGlitter View Post

The ADPi house should be ready for move-in I believe this weekend. It looks gorgeous!
I cannot wait to see pictures of the completed project! Oh, AZTheta...!
Old 08-13-2015, 08:12 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeychile View Post
I think you are probably looking for MaryPoppins
Old 08-13-2015, 08:44 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeychile View Post

Yes! you haven't forgotten our plan!!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetalady View Post
I think you are probably looking for MaryPoppins
Nope - she was looking for moi.
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision." Bertrand Russell, The Triumph of Stupidity
Old 08-14-2015, 02:10 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZTheta View Post

AH!! The porch, rockers and sweet tea... spiked, no doubt
Old 08-14-2015, 09:25 PM
GreekChat Member

7:30 pm and there are workers all over the place. Not sure they will make it for move-in tomorrow, but they are really close. Beautiful building!

Old 08-14-2015, 10:48 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZTheta View Post

Sounds like we're going to have so much fun, our hoop skirts are going to get caught up in the rockers!

Are you bringing the petit fours, or should I?
Old 08-15-2015, 12:51 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetalady View Post
AH!! The porch, rockers and sweet tea... spiked, no doubt

Gah! Nonononononono! We would NOT EVER do anything to jeopardize our respective memberships, so we shall sit on the veranda, white gloved, hatted, beautiful, peaceful, civilized, gracious, and we shall hold hands, nibble on cookies, petits fours, and drink unspiked sweet tea (mine will be prickly pear, though.).

honeychile, we're having this catered. We only have to bring ourselves! I've checked into a limo. We don't need to worry about plebian tasks like driving, parking, etc. We have better things to do with our time.

thetalady, are you joining us? All are welcome! There IS a dress code, though. Stay tuned for details.

OK that's enough derailing outta me. Back to the topic. I'm going to the pool. It's 94 degrees and I'm hot (and it's 10 pm here).
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision." Bertrand Russell, The Triumph of Stupidity
Old 08-16-2015, 10:12 AM
GreekChat Member

so here we go....

Well, after discovering this forum over a year ago, I've been looking forward to the day I'd put this site on my favorites screen to get me through the process sending my first daughter through at Ole Miss. I'm already excited and nervous for her and it's still a month off.

I was a Phi Mu at Florida State and she's grown up seeing the incredible friendships I have as a result. I do have some very good friends I've made in my neighborhood over the past 10 years, my primary 'go-to' girls are my sorority sisters. My daughter has seen how special my sisters are and wants that in her own life, which of course delights me.

She fell in love with Ole Miss visiting for her cousin's engagement party at a tailgate last fall and so we will be packing up and driving 9 hours on Tuesday to get her moved in this week. I have to confess that although I am a lifelong Seminole, I have jumped into The Grove and red and blue with both feet and am just thrilled for her, although I wish it wasn't quite so far from us in South Carolina.

She has already said she would like for me to come for bid day. I was curious if you all have advice on how I can best organize my trip and be available for her. Will I have to wait until she calls me with the bid she's received and then try to meet her at her new house? I assumed she would want to walk with her roommate/friends to get the bid and have me wait elsewhere and meet her. Any insight on this is welcome. Obviously I will be thrilled if Phi Mu is a match for her, but she has no preconceived notions and just wants to find her home at the right place for her.

Thanks to all of you who give your time on this board regularly, I am SO grateful to have this resource - a lot has changed in the past 20-something years......
Old 08-16-2015, 10:33 AM
GreekChat Member

Good luck to you both! My suggestion would be get to Oxford on either Friday October 2nd or Saturday, October 3rd and be on hand when she is tired and maybe a little anxious. Bid day is Sunday, October 4th. As for where to place yourself, the girls should receive their bids in the area between the lyceum and the grove stage. Some moms are very nearby their daughters, or they wait for them on the main sorority row to watch the run. This will take a little coordinating but you will work it out.

If you have already been enjoying the grove, you won't believe bid day. Such a fun experience. Don't miss it.

On a side note....the opening game of next season (2016) should be an interesting one for you! Ole Miss v. FSU in Orlando!
Old 08-16-2015, 10:49 AM
GreekChat Member

Book your hotel room now if there are any available. You may have to stay in Batesville (about 25 miles away).

Most moms park themselves along the main sorority row....the houses are all pretty close to each other. Daughter texts you where she got a bid and mom can hurry over to the front lawn of her daughter's new house in time to see her running to her new sisters!