GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Recruitment Stories

Recruitment Stories This is the forum where you should place posts about your Recruitment experiences. General questions about Recruitment should be posted in the main Recruitment forum.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,042
Threads: 115,496
Welcome to our newest member, prettyandpearls
» Online Users: 1,766
2 members and 1,764 guests
anatexaxd6741

Old 12-18-2014, 01:19 PM
GreekChat Member

Black and Spring Rushing (2015) for a Panhellenic Sorority

Hey guys. So excited to have found this website. I am a sophomore and I recently made the decision to go through informal recruitment/spring rush at my southern public institution. Ever since then, I go through these moments of questioning my decision and wondering if I am going in the right direction. I have looked into NPHC sororities but I just do not vibe with me. It's almost to the point where in order to even feel slightly comfortable, I have to talk a certain way and avoid saying certain things and i absolutely hate that. I feel that I would be a lot more happier in a panhellenic sorority. There's one in particular that I am gunning for because I get along so well with the members. Everything that I look for in a sorority, they posses it and I love that. There are numerous minorities in that particular sorority so I am less worried about that and more anxious about the backlash. I am scared of the backlash from other black students because we do self segregate ourselves at my school and I have heard people on numerous occasions making snide comments about the black girls that were in panhellenic sororities. I am also nervous about fitting in with the other girls because of so many cultural differences. I have already made up about at least going through with the process because I want to give it a chance but were I to be given a bid, I do not know if I would accept it. Anyone have any advice? I would really love to hear them especially from any black girls in npc. Thanks!
Old 12-18-2014, 01:57 PM

You need to stop "gunning for" one sorority in particular and keep an open mind to ALL the groups. That's how NPC rush works. I would say that if you were black, white, or polka dot.

As for the rest of your question, not my lane.
Old 12-18-2014, 02:05 PM
GreekChat Member

well in her defense, informal is much less about keeping an open mind. However, the group in question may not be participating in informal rush. I would recommend attending parties at every chapter you can.

Good luck!
Old 12-18-2014, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubaiSis View Post
well in her defense, informal is much less about keeping an open mind.
I don't agree.
Old 12-18-2014, 02:20 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
...black, white, or polka dot.
LOL. I always wonder why people create polka dot humans when discussing race.

To the OP, do not speak negative about NPHC sororities. Do not feel a need to explain why you are not interested in an NPHC sorority. Do not approach the NPC as you would the NPHC or adopt aspects of NPHC culture if you join an NPC sorority.
Old 12-18-2014, 02:35 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
You need to stop "gunning for" one sorority in particular and keep an open mind to ALL the groups. That's how NPC rush works. I would say that if you were black, white, or polka dot.

As for the rest of your question, not my lane.
Perhaps I should explain further. At my school we can only rush for one sorority during the spring as it's more for people who were unable to do fall and as a result have gotten to learn about the different sororities and know which one they are interested in. If I had the option, I would move around to all the sororities but i can only pick one to show interest to.
Old 12-18-2014, 02:37 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by indielove View Post
Hey guys. So excited to have found this website. I am a sophomore and I recently made the decision to go through informal recruitment/spring rush at my southern public institution. Ever since then, I go through these moments of questioning my decision and wondering if I am going in the right direction. I have looked into NPHC sororities but I just do not vibe with me. It's almost to the point where in order to even feel slightly comfortable, I have to talk a certain way and avoid saying certain things and i absolutely hate that. I feel that I would be a lot more happier in a panhellenic sorority. There's one in particular that I am gunning for because I get along so well with the members. Everything that I look for in a sorority, they posses it and I love that. There are numerous minorities in that particular sorority so I am less worried about that and more anxious about the backlash. I am scared of the backlash from other black students because we do self segregate ourselves at my school and I have heard people on numerous occasions making snide comments about the black girls that were in panhellenic sororities. I am also nervous about fitting in with the other girls because of so many cultural differences. I have already made up about at least going through with the process because I want to give it a chance but were I to be given a bid, I do not know if I would accept it. Anyone have any advice? I would really love to hear them especially from any black girls in npc. Thanks!
When you're at a recruitment party/COB event and find yourself talking to a racial minority sister, you could ask her about her experiences. It would be more relevant to your situation and campus climate than anything someone here could tell you.
Old 12-18-2014, 03:43 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrPhil View Post
LOL. I always wonder why people create polka dot humans when discussing race.

To the OP, do not speak negative about NPHC sororities. Do not feel a need to explain why you are not interested in an NPHC sorority. Do not approach the NPC as you would the NPHC or adopt aspects of NPHC culture if you join an NPC sorority.
Because green is either Vulcan, She-hulk or Dryad (All of which would be fascinating to see go through NPC recruitment) and purple is passé.
Old 12-18-2014, 03:44 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by indielove View Post
Perhaps I should explain further. At my school we can only rush for one sorority during the spring as it's more for people who were unable to do fall and as a result have gotten to learn about the different sororities and know which one they are interested in. If I had the option, I would move around to all the sororities but i can only pick one to show interest to.
How common is this at various schools?
Old 12-18-2014, 05:06 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by naraht View Post
Because green is either Vulcan, She-hulk or Dryad (All of which would be fascinating to see go through NPC recruitment) and purple is passé.
Don't discriminate against burnt orange and hot pink.
Old 12-18-2014, 05:18 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by naraht View Post
How common is this at various schools?
I've never heard of it and I think she has misinterpreted the rules and process.
Old 12-18-2014, 05:39 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubaiSis View Post
I've never heard of it and I think she has misinterpreted the rules and process.
I agree. I'm in the south and never heard of this at any public institution here...or anywhere for that matter.
Old 12-18-2014, 05:50 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DeltaBetaBaby
Well, if informal isn't structured at all, it may be that every group is having events at the same time, and it would be difficult to check out more than one.
Old 12-18-2014, 06:12 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaBetaBaby View Post
Well, if informal isn't structured at all, it may be that every group is having events at the same time, and it would be difficult to check out more than one.
In which case she could alternate....
Old 12-18-2014, 06:56 PM
GreekChat Member

The way our rush is set up, technically you can rush for more than one, but you're not really supposed to. The sororities have events at different periods. For example, one is recruiting and giving bids within the first week back while another doesn't hold any events until almost the end of January. Therefore, if you do not know which sorority you are interested in, there is almost no point in going through with recruitment.