GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,426
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, Abisha55
» Online Users: 2,606
0 members and 2,606 guests
No Members online

Old 11-17-2009, 06:03 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovespink88 View Post
I absolutely LOVE the Tri Delta chapter guard...I think it's so cool!!
Me too! It is my favorite part of the badge. One of my favorite Tri Delta songs is about our trident guard. It is called Trusty Trident, and basically it is about a girl who is on a date, her date tries to get a little fresh, and she stabs him with the trident. It is hilarious and I have heard of chapters serenading their dates before a date party with this song. If I can find the words I will post them.

EDIT: I found the words!

MY TRUSTY TRIDENT
(Tune: My Darling Clementine)
On a dark night in a parked car sat a sweet and lovely miss
With a fella, what a fella, wanted more than just a kiss
As he grabbed her 'round the middle his intentions were quite plain
As he touched her he enclutched her then he shouted out in pain.
He said "You stabbed me!" She said "You grabbed me! Don't you know you'll never win.
For every Tri Delt, every Tri Delt has a weapon for a pin."
My Trusty Trident, my trusty trident is much safer than a gun.
Safe and silent, my trusty Trident, with it no man's ever won.

Last edited by DDDlady; 11-17-2009 at 06:08 PM. Reason: Found the words!
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 11-17-2009, 06:36 PM
GreekChat Member

I got my badge standard with my member fees. At my chapter we had to buy our chapter guards, and officer charms on our own. One of these days, I am going to buy one with either pearls or emeralds.

Old 11-17-2009, 07:03 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDDlady View Post
Me too! It is my favorite part of the badge. One of my favorite Tri Delta songs is about our trident guard. It is called Trusty Trident, and basically it is about a girl who is on a date, her date tries to get a little fresh, and she stabs him with the trident. It is hilarious and I have heard of chapters serenading their dates before a date party with this song. If I can find the words I will post them.

MY TRUSTY TRIDENT
He said "You stabbed me!" She said "You grabbed me! Don't you know you'll never win.
How cute! I love it!

Old 11-17-2009, 07:04 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:

MY TRUSTY TRIDENT
That's HILARIOUS! I seriously just LOLed for days!!!
Old 11-17-2009, 08:49 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to lovespink88
Quote:
MY TRUSTY TRIDENT
(Tune: My Darling Clementine)....
LOL awesome!
Old 11-22-2009, 10:11 AM
GreekChat Member

Somewhat on subject of badges and actually I see a trend, but not a good one!

Has anyone noticed in their organization the quality declining in the badges? I know every company is getting crafty to try and keep prices as low as they can before they go the other route.

I am shocked at how badges have changed in recent years. It is like they have lost a ton of gold weight and have the appearance of being smaller than years past.
Old 11-22-2009, 01:40 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by baci View Post

Has anyone noticed in their organization the quality declining in the badges? I know every company is getting crafty to try and keep prices as low as they can before they go the other route.

I am shocked at how badges have changed in recent years. It is like they have lost a ton of gold weight and have the appearance of being smaller than years past.
I thought I had mentioned it in this thread before, but apparently not. Our national office had to send an entire batch of badges back to the manufacturer last year because the quality was so bad. It was a major problem.
Old 11-22-2009, 02:49 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Skype™ to SilverTurtle
Wow. I haven't been on these boards in forever. But I just went through this entire thread. There are some really amazing badges out there.

When I was in school (late 1990s) our chapter didn't require members to order badges. Those that ordered them just got our plain gold. A year or two after I got out of school, I custom ordered the plain badge with white gold and passed my yellow gold one down to my little, who had never ordered one.

I see the pearl option most often on alumni - we offer the close or crown set pearls. I personally have never liked pearls, so I'm happy to have options.

Chapter guards and dangles are optional. I have a plain chapter guard, but almost never wear it with the badge. Which I wish I could wear more often.

Anyways, here are some of our options:

The last one is my actual white gold badge. I love our badge, but some of the symbolic ones other organizations use are really cool.

My little sister is a Kappa Kappa Gamma. I just sent her a facebook message to ask what her badge looked like because of this thread.

To Be Rather Than To Seem To Be
Old 11-22-2009, 04:25 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
It's incredibly noticeable when they're next to each other. My mother and I both had my grandmother's badge, and eventually purchased our own when it was passed down (I passed it on to my biological sister, not a kid!). The newer pins seem smaller and lighter than their older ones.
Old 11-22-2009, 04:54 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to lovespink88
Quote:

Maybe one reason for this could be that many are also offering a "gold filled" badge. Perhaps that is why some of them look like lower quality. I know I have the gold filled Quill rather than the standard 10K gold badge. My parents pay for most of my sorority bills and I felt bad asking them to buy the expensive badge, so I just went with the cheapest option, the gold filled one, which was $39 (I think) at the time. Looking at the website now, the gold filled is going for $50, while the 10K is going for $95.

I haven't held or looked closely at a 10K Quill, so hopefully those aren't poor quality!
Old 11-22-2009, 09:23 PM
GreekChat Member

I disagree with the new badges being lesser quality. I was comparing both my mom's and my badge the other day and I feel like my badge is nicer than my moms.

Old 11-22-2009, 10:16 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverTurtle View Post

I see the pearl option most often on alumni - we offer the close or crown set pearls. I personally have never liked pearls, so I'm happy to have options.
ns:

Sometimes plain badges can be really nice - I like the gold one with the chased beta.

.....Kelly

True and Constant
Old 11-22-2009, 10:23 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tropical_Dancer View Post
I disagree with the new badges being lesser quality. I was comparing both my mom's and my badge the other day and I feel like my badge is nicer than my moms.

It is interesting that they went from 4 smaller pearls on each side to three larger pearls on each side. Is that standard now? I wonder what prompted the change.

>>>>>

As an aside, I went antiquing today in a major antique town in hopes of finding an old badge. I was surprised not to see a single one- not just Kappa, but for any GLO! And the shopkeepers didn't seem to know anything about them (one said "oh, that's a custom piece" about a picture of mine, to which I replied "no, it's a standard sorority pin"). Perhaps they all go straight online now instead of showing up in stores. Or maybe it was just a wrong time/wrong place issue. Oh well, maybe another day...
Old 11-22-2009, 10:26 PM
GreekChat Member

What a wonderful thread! In the mid 70's probably 95% of our chapter had jeweled badges. Most popular was the pearl with emerald points, followed by all pearls and alternating pearls and emeralds. Mine was emerald with pearl points. Everone had a chapter guard and officer dangles. We wore our badges frequently. Every Monday evening to chapter, most Sundays to church and often once during the week to class.

In my city, which has several active chapters in the region, most collegians do not purchase jeweled badges or even real gold ones. I never see chapter guards and officer dangles (I always think of that goofy show when I say "officer dangles"). I'm sure it's a budget issue, since school is so much more expensive now.

I wear one of my beautiful vintage badges at least once a week to work on my business suits. I have a variety of them and love them all! My earliest is from the 20's. The vintage badges I have are much better quality than the new ones. The letters and symbols are more delicate and the enamel work seems better.

I love seeing the pictures! I wish I could post mine.... Blinged out Gamma Phi and AOPi badges are amazing!
Old 11-22-2009, 11:21 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetygerlily View Post
It is interesting that they went from 4 smaller pearls on each side to three larger pearls on each side. Is that standard now? I wonder what prompted the change.
Maybe because it looks better to have 16 stones rather than 20 if you get alternating pearls and jewels. With 16, it's the points, and the middle stone on the sides that get the jewel. With 20, you can't have all 4 points be the same. I like the symmetry of 16.
Quote:
Originally Posted by thetygerlily View Post
As an aside, I went antiquing today in a major antique town in hopes of finding an old badge. I was surprised not to see a single one- not just Kappa, but for any GLO! And the shopkeepers didn't seem to know anything about them (one said "oh, that's a custom piece" about a picture of mine, to which I replied "no, it's a standard sorority pin"). Perhaps they all go straight online now instead of showing up in stores. Or maybe it was just a wrong time/wrong place issue. Oh well, maybe another day...
If a seller knows what the pin is, I'd think most of them would try to sell it online. Makes sense from their perspective to offer it to more people and get the highest price for it.

Last edited by violetpretty; 11-22-2009 at 11:25 PM.