GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,044
Threads: 115,496
Welcome to our newest member, NikiMussen
» Online Users: 1,718
0 members and 1,718 guests
No Members online

Old 08-08-2009, 08:01 PM
GreekChat Member

Recruitment at Southern Mississippi

Apparently there were several girls who received no invites today from Southern Miss. Is this typical of this campus? I wrote some recs. for girls at this campus and now they are so nervous. In the past there have been no cuts this early?
Old 08-08-2009, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2girls View Post
Apparently there were several girls who received no invites today from Southern Miss. Is this typical of this campus? I wrote some recs. for girls at this campus and now they are so nervous. In the past there have been no cuts this early?

With formal recruitment, it's possible to be cut at any stage in the process.

I don't think it's common for girls to be completely cut from recruitment early in the process, but it happens. Everywhere.

It's unfortunate though.

Lakers Nation.
Old 08-08-2009, 08:12 PM
GreekChat Member

I don't know about this case in particular but cuts on the first day usually fall into 3 categories: 1) grade risks, 2) lack of rec or 3) the "no's" (unfortunately there is always a handful of them). Since most groups have to make some cuts the first day, they usually release on the first day the ones they know for sure they won't/can't take.

Last edited by Titchou; 08-08-2009 at 08:14 PM.
Old 08-08-2009, 08:19 PM
GreekChat Member

Yes, but according to their Greek Life no girls have been released fully during this process and there are two days to go. Several of the girls we wrote recs for were only invited back to one or two chapters today. I have advised their moms to upbeat and positive as it only takes one to make it through. They are a wreck and very nervous, but it is understandable this early in the process.
Old 08-08-2009, 09:33 PM
GreekChat Member

I agree it was harsh today. I wrote a rec for my niece but she still ended up with only 2 invites and it was the 2 she was not interested in, so sad for her. She is smart with a 3.9 GPA, honors college, HS cheerleader and tennis teams, pretty (I am biased though). Not sure what happened or what she should do. Sit out until next year? Accept bid from sorority she didn't really care for?

Glad I have sons.
Old 08-08-2009, 10:17 PM
Super Moderator

Tell her to go to prefs and then decide whether to pledge! Minds have been known to change at pref parties!
Old 08-08-2009, 10:24 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnation View Post
Tell her to go to prefs and then decide whether to pledge! Minds have been known to change at pref parties!
I agree. I got invited back to all houses after the first set, then got huge cuts after the second sets. I was devastated and only liked two houses out of the six that were left. I decided just to go through with it since I'd been in each house for a total of about 40 minutes, and in the end, I ended up where I was supposed to. You never know--she should definitely give it a chance!
Old 08-08-2009, 10:38 PM
GreekChat Member

Tell her to keep in mind that whoever gives her a bid REALLY wants HER...and that's a big plus! Good luck!
Old 08-08-2009, 10:59 PM
GreekChat Member

I'm concerned because if cuts were made today they may not make the next round at all. This is one of my closest friends daughter.
Thank goodness I have two years to go for my own.

Last edited by momof2girls; 08-08-2009 at 11:02 PM.
Old 08-08-2009, 11:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnation View Post
YES.

That's the best thing to do.

And really, at a school like Southern Miss I'd imagine that it's not easy to just rush again next year (i.e. you generally are not going to have a better rush the second time).

So this could be their only shot, and what do they have to lose?

Lakers Nation.

Last edited by KSUViolet06; 08-08-2009 at 11:19 PM.
Old 08-08-2009, 11:20 PM
GreekChat Member

Usually once a girl has been released from a chapter at Southern Miss, they will not consider her again the next year. I echo the advice of others...I hope the girls consider the chapters they have left. All of the chapters at Southern Miss have wonderful girls! Good luck to all the PNM's!
Old 08-09-2009, 08:54 AM
GreekChat Member

Also keep in mind that the NPC Release Figure Method requires many Chapters to make larger cuts earlier in the process than times past.
Old 08-09-2009, 09:36 AM
GreekChat Member

If every group at USM has a cut once/cut always policy then why would they even allow anyone to go through the process again. So basically if you don't make it through as a freshman your first time you're never getting in a group? Well the PNM is not dropping out, has an open mind and will go where her heart leads her. She is just afraid she will have no invites today, but with the release methods maybe that's why she was cut so early from the other five. Her mom told me at parent orientation they said that in the past five years no girl has been completely released from recruitment, this must be the year as several received no invites to first rounds yesterday.
Old 08-09-2009, 09:40 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TupeloHoney View Post
I agree it was harsh today. I wrote a rec for my niece but she still ended up with only 2 invites and it was the 2 she was not interested in, so sad for her. She is smart with a 3.9 GPA, honors college, HS cheerleader and tennis teams, pretty (I am biased though). Not sure what happened or what she should do. Sit out until next year? Accept bid from sorority she didn't really care for?

Glad I have sons.
The good news is that she has 2 invites! She really needs to fully consider her remaining options. These 2 chapters may be her only chance to go Greek.
Old 08-09-2009, 09:50 AM
GreekChat Member

As far as cut once/cut always, that may not be the policy for every chapter, but it is for many. Most of the girls that come through recruitment a second time do so because they dropped out of a chapter that they signed a bid for and had to wait a calendar year to go through recruitment again (in this case most of those girls take a bid the second year to a chapter THEY released the first year, not a chapter that released them). It is common to come through recruitment at Southern Miss as an upperclassman, but not having already been through freshman year.

Also, as far as some girls getting no invites, I was told by a chapter president that a few girls that had signed up for recruitment had GPAs that would make the ineligible to actually pledge any of the sororities. Greek Life was going to call them to let them know, but they cannot actually force the girls to not come through recruitment. If those girls decided to continue with the process, they would automatically not be invited back by most chapters because in the end the chapters would not be able to extend them a bid because of their grades. I don't know if that is the case with the girls you are mentioning that got completely released, but I know that was an issue.