GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life > Introductions

Introductions New to GreekChat? This is where you can introduce yourself to the GreekChat community.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,126
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, babobygooglet93
» Online Users: 1,934
0 members and 1,934 guests
No Members online

Old 06-30-2012, 03:34 AM
GreekChat Member

Rushing as a senior?

I've read a couple threads about this, but none of the stories seem to resonate with mine so I figured I would tell my story and get some advice. I am going to be a senior this coming fall, and I want to rush. The reason I "waited" til senior year is because money has been a really rough thing for my family, and my brother was just awarded a scholarship that fully covers the last couple years of his education, so I can actually afford to be in a sorority. I would be doing informal rush. I just have a lot of friends who are Greek and they are always raving about how much they love being in sororities, and I've always been drawn to the ideals, traditions, and sisterhood that a sorority offers. It's just never been a real possibility for me until now, I always had to sacrifice my desire to rush. Would a sorority even accept me at this point? I feel like a lot of them would be suspicious of a senior rushing. Any advice anyone could give would be helpful!
Old 06-30-2012, 08:03 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by k8ybug View Post
I've read a couple threads about this, but none of the stories seem to resonate with mine so I figured I would tell my story and get some advice. I am going to be a senior this coming fall, and I want to rush. The reason I "waited" til senior year is because money has been a really rough thing for my family, and my brother was just awarded a scholarship that fully covers the last couple years of his education, so I can actually afford to be in a sorority. I would be doing informal rush. I just have a lot of friends who are Greek and they are always raving about how much they love being in sororities, and I've always been drawn to the ideals, traditions, and sisterhood that a sorority offers. It's just never been a real possibility for me until now, I always had to sacrifice my desire to rush. Would a sorority even accept me at this point? I feel like a lot of them would be suspicious of a senior rushing. Any advice anyone could give would be helpful!
There is nothing unique about your situation.

You mentioned you have 'a lot of friends who are Greek.' We don't know you. We don't know your school. Ask the people who do.
Old 06-30-2012, 12:19 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to sigmagirl2000
How competitive is recruitment at your school? It isn't out of the question, but likely won't be easy. How is your GPA? Are you involved on campus? Do you have a good reputation? Would you be comfortable explaining the financial situation like you did here if asked why you waited until senior year?

As always, ask your friends who now the greek system best.

Good Luck!

::: waiting for someone to post in Irishpipes 2013-2014 chapter listing thread that quota was .25 ::: - ASTalumna06
Old 07-01-2012, 09:45 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sigmagirl2000 View Post
How competitive is recruitment at your school? It isn't out of the question, but likely won't be easy. How is your GPA? Are you involved on campus? Do you have a good reputation? Would you be comfortable explaining the financial situation like you did here if asked why you waited until senior year?

As always, ask your friends who now the greek system best.

Good Luck!
Just be careful how you phrase things. We actually had one girl say she waited until junior year because she didn't think it was worth all the money and she didn't want to pay for four years in our house. It came off sounding very rude. I totally understand your reasoning, just make sure it comes out right.
Old 07-01-2012, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FleurGirl View Post
Just be careful how you phrase things. We actually had one girl say she waited until junior year because she didn't think it was worth all the money and she didn't want to pay for four years in our house. It came off sounding very rude. I totally understand your reasoning, just make sure it comes out right.
LOL. That's so offensive that I actually would have peed my pants laughing.

k8ybug - I would say it exactly how you said it in the first paragraph. If the girls you know in sororities are good friends, they probably know your situation already - and probably will give you points for waiting until $$ wasn't so tight and you could actually pay your dues. Good luck!