GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,126
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, babobygooglet93
» Online Users: 1,763
0 members and 1,763 guests
No Members online

Old 11-15-2021, 09:06 PM
GreekChat Member

Woman denounces the practice of "Hogging" at fraternities

Quote:
"Hogging" Is A Horrifying Sex Competition That Some Fraternities Engage In, And People Are Finally Talking About It

Mon, November 15, 2021, 2:18 PM

I've always disliked fraternities, for obvious reasons. But now, I am genuinely terrified of them after learning about a practice called "hogging."

Evidently, the practice is not anything new, and the term has been in Urban Dictionary for nearly two decades. According to the website, 'hogging' is basically when groups of men compete to have sex with the "fattest" woman at a bar or party.
Article continues here: https://news.yahoo.com/people-tiktok...ycsrp_catchall

True and Constant
Old 11-15-2021, 09:13 PM
Super Moderator

I heard about this 50 years ago but it also included parties at dormitories. No idea if it was true.

ETA: back then, they were called Pig in a Poke parties. Would the men in my coed dorm that had numerous social activities have done that? Likely.

Last edited by carnation; 11-15-2021 at 09:38 PM.
Old 11-16-2021, 01:47 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnation View Post
I heard about this 50 years ago but it also included parties at dormitories. No idea if it was true.

ETA: back then, they were called Pig in a Poke parties. Would the men in my coed dorm that had numerous social activities have done that? Likely.
Well now it includes parties at fraternities... and has for some time. Yes, this happens in some chapters of our organizations.

Why can't we all look at ourselves and realize that we can be part of the problem? But we can also be part of the solution. Let's stop pointing fingers and recognize that we have the organizational power to influence our members and help them make better choices that don't humiliate and degrade others?

@~/~~~~
Old 11-16-2021, 06:14 AM
Super Moderator

Since I doubt that my org has ever had a Pig in a Poke party, I step back from any collective guilt here and leave that to any organization that may have participated.
Old 11-16-2021, 06:14 AM

This “article” looks more like a PR piece for this Tik Tok person than evidence of a widespread issue. They mentioned one chapter of one fraternity. No, this is nothing new. On the other side of the coin…there was a WKRP episode where Mr Carlson found out that his wife asked him to her sorority pledge party because he was on the “dip list.” I’m sure that also happened and still happens in real life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASTalumna06 View Post
Well now it includes parties at fraternities... and has for some time. Yes, this happens in some chapters of our organizations.

Why can't we all look at ourselves and realize that we can be part of the problem? But we can also be part of the solution. Let's stop pointing fingers and recognize that we have the organizational power to influence our members and help them make better choices that don't humiliate and degrade others?
But that’s not what this article is. This is yet another tired Greeks Are Bad piece because those get the clicks.
Old 11-16-2021, 09:43 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnation View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
This “article” looks more like a PR piece for this Tik Tok person than evidence of a widespread issue. They mentioned one chapter of one fraternity. No, this is nothing new.............This is yet another tired Greeks Are Bad piece because those get the clicks.
When I was enrolled in college, I had the time one day to read a magazine article regarding how collegiate youth were mispending their days by illegally drinking, dancing provocatively, cutting their hair in abominable styles, and generally thumbing their collective noses at authority figures like Mom, Pop, and their professors.

Truth be told, the article was from 1927 and I was reading it in the 1980s. But the gist of the 1927 article's words described a general 'problem' with collegians that was not and still is not new.

Human nature is what it is. Twenty years from now, a girl being born today may discover "hogging" and find it so reprehensible as to post her discovery on Meta. Then someone still alive from within The Carnation Nation can again post that it's basically existed forever and a day.

It's only words, and words are all I have to take your heart away.
Old 11-16-2021, 10:39 AM
GreekChat Member

You won't hear me arguing that this article is journalism at its finest, but it just feels like there's a lot of whataboutism all over this site recently and a want to deny that there are any issues within the Greek system.

@~/~~~~
Old 11-16-2021, 10:46 AM
Super Moderator

I don't deny that stuff like this exists in the Greek system (although I do doubt that Pi Phis have "hogged"). On the other hand, some of these anti-Greek writers choose to ignore problems that are in dorms, marching bands, honoraries, and ROTC units. Some of these problems are VERY bad in the groups I just mentioned.

Do they think that binge drinking and date rape would disappear if the Greek system did? Ridiculous. But writing about those problems in non-Greek groups wouldn't get as many readers...
Old 11-16-2021, 10:56 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
You won't hear me arguing that this article is journalism at its finest, but it just feels like there's a lot of whataboutism all over this site recently and a want to deny that there are any issues within the Greek system.
Thank you for posting the article, navane. It is a reminder we ought to warn our daughters to beware this type of event, and call on our sons to never engage in it.

It's only words, and words are all I have to take your heart away.
Old 11-16-2021, 01:18 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
I haven't seen anyone denying that the Greek system is imperfect, just that it is an unfortunate occurrence among this age group, not exclusive to Greeks. Your recent and frequent posts might mislead people coming here to learn about Greek life, to believe that folks who participate in Greek life all have pointy ears, pitchforks, and roast small children for lunch.
Old 11-17-2021, 09:14 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
.....Why can't we all look at ourselves and realize that we can be part of the problem? But we can also be part of the solution. Let's stop pointing fingers and recognize that we have the organizational power to influence our members and help them make better choices that don't humiliate and degrade others?
100%
Old 11-17-2021, 09:45 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSUZeta View Post
I haven't seen anyone denying that the Greek system is imperfect, just that it is an unfortunate occurrence among this age group, not exclusive to Greeks. Your recent and frequent posts might mislead people coming here to learn about Greek life, to believe that folks who participate in Greek life all have pointy ears, pitchforks, and roast small children for lunch.
You mean my posts that are news articles about things that are actually happening in Greek life? Why do we have a hazing and risk management board if we don't want things related to those topics posted?

I post articles that are suggested to me by Google based on things I typically read. Greek life topics come up frequently. I post on both the good and the bad.

And navane started this thread in particular. I just find it curious that when these things have come up recently, many are quick to gloss over them and dismiss them. And not just on the topic of this thread.

But hey, I'll only post the good stuff going forward if that's what this site demands. Although recently, there really isn't that much going on here besides adding to the Highest Point Count Ever Thread and playing the Song Name Game. ::shrugs::

@~/~~~~
Old 11-18-2021, 06:25 AM
Super Moderator

We do recognize that some Greeks need to cut the crap, to put it mildly. It's just that some of those articles are either poorly written clickbait or they don't admit that said problems, such as binge drinking and campus rape, are horrible not only in Greek life but across the whole spectrum of college students.
Old 11-18-2021, 07:18 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
You mean my posts that are news articles about things that are actually happening in Greek life? Why do we have a hazing and risk management board if we don't want things related to those topics posted?

I post articles that are suggested to me by Google based on things I typically read. Greek life topics come up frequently. I post on both the good and the bad.

And navane started this thread in particular. I just find it curious that when these things have come up recently, many are quick to gloss over them and dismiss them. And not just on the topic of this thread.

But hey, I'll only post the good stuff going forward if that's what this site demands. Although recently, there really isn't that much going on here besides adding to the Highest Point Count Ever Thread and playing the Song Name Game. ::shrugs::
What are nonmembers of ABC fraternity supposed to do when a member(s) of their Kappa Beta chapter hazes some of their pledges? I trust the alumni leadership of ABC to handle it, just as I trust the leadership of my own org and your org to do the same if members step out of line, so I question why you repeatedly post such things.

Don’t blame Google. Google suggests these articles because you search that subject. Google doesn’t make you post them here numerous times a day-that’s your choice.

As far as GC members dismissing or not engaging with subjects you deem worthy of discussion, perhaps folks aren’t interested. Perhaps they are officers or advisors to their own org and they concentrate on keeping their own houses in order. Perhaps it is because GCers, like many in America, feel tired and overwhelmed with the ever evolving COVID info and protocols, rising prices, bickering in Congress, just life in general, and don’t want to come here and see multiple negative posts about the stupid/mean acts a small percentage of Greeks commit, when they can’t do anything about it.

Last edited by FSUZeta; 11-18-2021 at 07:42 AM.
Old 11-18-2021, 09:06 AM

Any “article” that starts out as this one did can in no way be called journalism, news or even a human interest story. There’s not even an author’s name attached to it, which I’m not surprised by because I don’t know anyone who would willingly attach their name to this PR piece/garbage.

Sharing things that are legitimate and well written is one thing, sharing garbage is another. Just throwing anything regarding Greek life up here without critically assessing it helps no one.