GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,546
Threads: 115,515
Welcome to our newest member, annatfancesa349
» Online Users: 2,313
5 members and 2,308 guests
FrankJScott, g41965, Sen's Revenge, Xidelt

Old 11-14-2006, 03:54 PM
GreekChat Member

LOL on some of the above posts.

Brothel Laws went by the wayside as spitting on the sidewalk.

Many times schools as was said above, do not want Sororitys in their own houses.

But the one that surprised me the most is William-Jewell, N W of the K C Metro area. Fraterities for years have had very nice houses-4. LXA, SN, KA, and Fiji.

Now there has been an announcement that for the first time in the formaly Babtist affiliated Un. will be allowing Females in their own homes and will help finace them.

One has to give them Kudos for a little front running thinking.

Oh, the school is around 85 % Greeks now.

LX Z # 1
Alumni
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 11-16-2006, 10:25 PM
GreekChat Member

kappa sig-university of arkansas

Proud to say this is the largest fraternity house in the nation in terms of area. It can't be seen from the pictures, but the house goes back pretty far. We also have an apartment complex on the property that is usually reserved for upperclassmen
http://comp.uark.edu/~kappasig/
Old 02-09-2007, 11:30 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by everblue1037 View Post
i saw someing about a chapter not being able to have a house because of a law about no more than a certin amount of women in a house its like that in my school. there trying to change the law. we were going to get houses but we has a conoly become a full chapter our ADPi and now we have to wait till they have the money to buy at house. we have a dorm hall for all the girls in each chapter its cool.
Wow. Everblue1037. Sweetie, please do yourself (and Delta Zetas) a favor and copy your messages to Word and spell check them before posting them. Poor spelling and grammar at this stage of your life are things you must fix. Use the tools - they can help you to say what you mean to say. When you write to a message board, you are trying to communicate - but, if people don't have any idea what you are trying to say you are failing to communicate. "Conoly" I think you meant "colony". You mention ADPi, but you say you are a Delta Zeta. Your post was VERY confusing. Why don't you come back to the boards and fix it? We'll be kind, we promise.
Old 02-10-2007, 01:01 PM
GreekChat Member

these houses are amazing!
I have a question. If I am travelling into information that I am not entitled to feel free to shut me up. Does it generally cost a lot to live in a house? I'm sure that this varies from school to school and house to house, but if I get a bid I would love the oppurtunity to live in one and dues are already going to break my bank. Any info would be great!
Old 02-10-2007, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucky1dc View Post
these houses are amazing!
I have a question. Does it generally cost a lot to live in a house? I'm sure that this varies from school to school and house to house, but if I get a bid I would love the oppurtunity to live in one and dues are already going to break my bank. Any info would be great!

It really does depend on the school/chapter/house. In general, it is a significant financial commitment, in addition to dues and other fees. Some things that it depends on include:

*The type of room you choose (some chapters have a choice to doubles/triples/etc with varying prices).
*The amenities the chapter house offers.
*Whether the chapter has a meal plan that members have to have.
*How long you are required to live-in (some chapters have live-in requirements, they will usually let you know).
*Other factors.

During rush, the sorority members will tell you about their chapter housing (if they have any) and you can ask any questions you may have.

We had a live-in requirement of 2 semesters (at approx. $2,500 per semester). Our house held 20 women and we only had double rooms. We got a $100 dues discount for living in so it helped alot.

Lakers Nation.

Last edited by KSUViolet06; 02-10-2007 at 01:29 PM.
Old 02-10-2007, 02:07 PM
GreekChat Member

thank you for your help!

my single room at my school already costs a rediculous amount- like 2,300 per semester for a tiny little box! So if I could put that toward living in the house than it hopefully wouldn't be too much more money. And so much more fun!
Old 02-10-2007, 07:00 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to banditone
Quote:
Originally Posted by fabulousxi View Post
Proud to say this is the largest fraternity house in the nation in terms of area. It can't be seen from the pictures, but the house goes back pretty far. We also have an apartment complex on the property that is usually reserved for upperclassmen
http://comp.uark.edu/~kappasig/

fabulousxi, i stumbled upon these plans for a new house for Sigma Nu at U Ark, I take it they are back on campus . How are they doing size wise? and how long have they been back?

Old 02-10-2007, 09:37 PM
GreekChat Member

sigma nu

They have been back for a couple years now. I think they are around 65-70 members (give or take). The house is coming along nicely and should be a great addition to the existing houses we have here on campus. However, I personally do not like many of their members.
Old 02-10-2007, 10:29 PM
GreekChat Member

Thanks for the quick reply....

Last edited by banditone; 03-12-2007 at 03:09 PM.
Old 02-11-2007, 02:39 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishpipes View Post

Some interesting notes:

The Phi Mu house was originally the Zeta Tau Alpha house. ZTA closed recently and Phi Mu colonized here. I believe that Phi Mu originally took the old Alpha Phi house, but apparently now is in the ZTA house, which is relatively new. I don't know what group, if any, is now in the beautiful old Alpha Phi house. It isn't any of the present sororities. AOII's house used to belong to one of the fraternities (can't remember which anymore) and they did extensive remodeling to it. The DG and Chi-O houses are also fairly new.
I'm pretty sure that AOII house used to belong to the ATO's there. I guess they got booted or something. I remember when that house was built, it is VERY beautiful.
Old 02-11-2007, 02:43 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishpipes View Post
Here are the cute little houses at the University of Tulsa. They are all on one street next to each other. Very quaint.

Kappa Alpha Theta

Delta Gamma

Kappa Kappa Gamma

Kappa Delta

Delta Delta Delta

Chi Omega
Woohoo!!!! My Alma Mater! My gf was a Theta, so I spent a lot of time there. (and at the other houses to ) . The main house you see is the living room areas and dining. Then on the back of each house there is a long wing with bedrooms, kinda like an apartment complex.
Old 02-11-2007, 03:14 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fabulousxi View Post
They have been back for a couple years now. I think they are around 65-70 members (give or take). The house is coming along nicely and should be a great addition to the existing houses we have here on campus. However, I personally do not like many of their members.
Me neither. They also are not very selective.

The house is ugly as all get out, it doesn't look like any of the other houses on the row.
Old 02-11-2007, 03:50 PM
GreekChat Member

I actually agree with you 100%, but didn't want to sound like a prick. Sigma Nu used to be known as the best before they were kicked off...The newer members act as they still are, which is far from the truth. The last few years during rush, it seems they focused more on grades versus the quality of people they gave bids to. It will be a nice house but the way it sits on the property/ having the phi delt house next to makes it strange.

Last edited by fabulousxi; 02-15-2007 at 02:58 AM.
Old 02-22-2007, 09:57 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessXIca View Post
ADPi

HOLY JEBUS Central Florida has pimperish houses!
Old 02-22-2007, 11:12 PM

Send a message via AIM to Jill1228
My sentiments exactlY! mad cribs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by banditone View Post
HOLY JEBUS Central Florida has pimperish houses!