GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Fraternity Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Fraternity Recruitment Recruitment event ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,428
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, baangelasteaxdy
» Online Users: 2,327
2 members and 2,325 guests
PKT4LIFE, Sciencewoman

Old 10-17-2011, 11:48 AM
GreekChat Member

Well actually at my school, only about 20% of the population is greek, (although freshman can't rush, so about 28% of the upperclassmen are greek). My school has plenty of clubs, but I feel like even when I join one, I will either run into people who don't like to party on Friday and Saturday nights, or are not willing to make any new friends because they already have enough.

One question that wasn't fully answered was: would it be worth it to try in rush again in the spring, after I get my 2.46 gpa up. Would going again in the Spring and showing that I'm really interested in the fraternities help my chances? (If you're an active brother of a chapter, answer based on what your group does).
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 10-17-2011, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chlorax View Post
Well actually at my school, only about 20% of the population is greek, (although freshman can't rush, so about 28% of the upperclassmen are greek). My school has plenty of clubs, but I feel like even when I join one, I will either run into people who don't like to party on Friday and Saturday nights, or are not willing to make any new friends because they already have enough.
If you were this focused on partying during rush, no wonder you didn't get a bid. You come across as someone who wants to use a fraternity to get what you want (a social life), not someone who wants to contribute to a group.

And I've never heard of someone - especially at such a small school - saying "I'm sorry, but I have enough friends right now. I don't want to bother with you." Something about you is turning them off. Unless you fall far outside the social norm of the school (i.e. you're Jewish and attending a church sponsored university where everyone is born-again Christian), honestly? You shouldn't have this much trouble making friends.
Old 10-17-2011, 12:02 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
"I'm sorry, but I have enough friends right now. I don't want to bother with you."
Siggy.

Old 10-17-2011, 12:16 PM

Awww! I'm honored!
Old 10-17-2011, 03:19 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chlorax View Post

One question that wasn't fully answered was: would it be worth it to try in rush again in the spring, after I get my 2.46 gpa up. Would going again in the Spring and showing that I'm really interested in the fraternities help my chances? (If you're an active brother of a chapter, answer based on what your group does).
Newsflash: You will run into people who don't like to party on Friday and Saturday in Greek Life. There may be brothers in your chapter who you aren't best friends with and don't socialize with much.

As for joining clubs and people not willing to make new friends, that's BS and something you're just telling yourself to make you not join those clubs.

Again, we don't know what will "improve" your chances. Even if you up your GPA from a 2.46, there's no guarantee the groups who chose not to give you a bid will offer you one (Hell, if a group said they can give bids to people and let them pledge the next semester if they didn't make grades and still chose to NOT give you a bid, that should say something). Will boosting your grades help your chances? In theory, yes. But rush isn't all theory and math, it's meeting people.

We can't really answer based on what our chapters do, because we have no idea if you blended well into our chapter. If someone was a really awesome fit for our chapter and was great friends with everyone and had a 2.46, we would have our rush chair and president tell him to get his grades up again and then rush in the Spring to get his bid (You must have a 2.5 or higher to rush on our campus, so we can't give bids to people with lower). If the person wasn't a good fit, we'd pass on him and maybe give him a second glance if he made is GPA shoot up (but again, there's no guarantees he could keep that GPA up...)
Old 10-18-2011, 12:55 AM
GreekChat Member

Thanks for the answers and replies everybody, this was very helpful