GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,123
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, zsamulpitt5293
» Online Users: 1,124
2 members and 1,122 guests
JayhawkAOII

Old 05-09-2017, 04:34 PM

Didn't we have a thread on here about which relationships each NPC sorority regards as legacy relationships?
Old 05-09-2017, 06:22 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
Didn't we have a thread on here about which relationships each NPC sorority regards as legacy relationships?
Not sure if there is another thread, but these are the legacy polices of UT's NPC sororities:

Alpha Chi Omega: great-grandmother, grandmother, mother, or sister. Step and half relatives IF the member considers the PNM to be a legacy.

Alpha Delta Pi: grandmother, mother, sister

Alpha Epsilon Phi: grandmother, step-grandmother, mother, step-mother, sister, half sister, step-sister

Alpha Xi Delta: grandmother, step-grandmother, mother, step-mother, aunt, sister, step-sister, half-sister

Chi Omega: mother, sister

Delta Delta Delta: mother, step-mother, sister, step-sister

Delta Gamma: great-grandmother, grandmother, mother, sister. Includes step and half relatives.

Kappa Alpha Theta: great-grandmother, grandmother, mother, sister. Step relatives of the member considers the pnm to be a legacy.

Kappa Delta: grandmother, mother, sister. Step and half relatives if the member considers the pnm to be a legacy.

Kappa Kappa Gamma: great-grandmother, grandmother, mother, sister.

Pi Beta Phi: grandmother, mother, sister

Sigma Delta Tau: great-grandmother, grandmother, mother, sister. Includes step and half relatives.

Zeta Tau Alpha: grandmother, mother, sister.
Old 05-09-2017, 07:05 PM
GreekChat Member

A long-time family friend was recently very delighted to have her granddaughter join a different chapter (at a southern school) of the same sorority she had 60 years ago. Even though grandchildren are no longer considered legacies in that NPC group, the fact they were related within the fraternal bond was happily noted on the chapter's online newsletter when the granddaughter initiated. None of this family friend's daughters or other granddaughters had joined her sorority; she still has one more granddaughter in high school.
Old 05-09-2017, 10:43 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheerio View Post
A long-time family friend was recently very delighted to have her granddaughter join a different chapter (at a southern school) of the same sorority she had 60 years ago. Even though grandchildren are no longer considered legacies in that NPC group, the fact they were related within the fraternal bond was happily noted on the chapter's online newsletter when the granddaughter initiated. None of this family friend's daughters or other granddaughters had joined her sorority; she still has one more granddaughter in high school.
Many chapters value "special relatives" very much; they just aren't guaranteed the benefits of being a legacy, whether that's a guafanteed spot on the first bid list or a courtesy call to the relative before the legacy is released. Our God-daughter pledged a house at UT last year where she was not a legacy, but where her three cousins had all pledged in recent years. The chapter recognized her special family connection even though she was not a technical legacy.
Old 05-10-2017, 01:53 PM
GreekChat Member

Legacy thread

http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/sh...ad.php?t=18486

This seems to have a good number, but not boiled down into one posting as above.
Old 05-10-2017, 04:35 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXDG View Post
Not sure if there is another thread, but these are the legacy polices of UT's NPC sororities:

Alpha Chi Omega: great-grandmother, grandmother, mother, or sister. Step and half relatives IF the member considers the PNM to be a legacy.

Alpha Delta Pi: grandmother, mother, sister

Alpha Epsilon Phi: grandmother, step-grandmother, mother, step-mother, sister, half sister, step-sister

Alpha Xi Delta: grandmother, step-grandmother, mother, step-mother, aunt, sister, step-sister, half-sister

Chi Omega: mother, sister

Delta Delta Delta: mother, step-mother, sister, step-sister

Delta Gamma: great-grandmother, grandmother, mother, sister. Includes step and half relatives.

Kappa Alpha Theta: great-grandmother, grandmother, mother, sister. Step relatives of the member considers the pnm to be a legacy.

Kappa Delta: grandmother, mother, sister. Step and half relatives if the member considers the pnm to be a legacy.

Kappa Kappa Gamma: great-grandmother, grandmother, mother, sister.

Pi Beta Phi: grandmother, mother, sister

Sigma Delta Tau: great-grandmother, grandmother, mother, sister. Includes step and half relatives.

Zeta Tau Alpha: grandmother, mother, sister.
You forgot one of the NPC Chapters at UT Austin and it's legacy policy in your list. As Alpha Phi also has an active chapter there. Alpha Phi's legacy policy considers any granddaughter, great-granddaughter, daughter, stepdaughter, sister or stepsister.
Old 05-10-2017, 10:20 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangbelle View Post
You forgot one of the NPC Chapters at UT Austin and it's legacy policy in your list. As Alpha Phi also has an active chapter there. Alpha Phi's legacy policy considers any granddaughter, great-granddaughter, daughter, stepdaughter, sister or stepsister.
Thanks for catching my mistake! I don't know how I missed Alpha Phi!!
Old 03-18-2018, 09:25 PM
GreekChat Member

Does it matter if letters of rec are sent in piece meal? Or should we send them in all together? My niece has started the process and it's really slow going.
Old 03-19-2018, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaSall View Post
Does it matter if letters of rec are sent in piece meal? Or should we send them in all together? My niece has started the process and it's really slow going.
You don't send them at all. The alumnae writing the recs send them in, following the process for their organization.
Old 03-19-2018, 06:12 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalGirl View Post
You don't send them at all. The alumnae writing the recs send them in, following the process for their organization.
Well this would explain not getting much back after sending 5 requests. We did get one recommendation sent to us but from what you're telling me, it should not have been. Should I forward to the chapter or headquarters?
Old 03-19-2018, 06:40 PM
GreekChat Member

Does your niece have a Panhellenic alumnae group in her area to help her navigate the process? Most recommendations are sent directly to the chapter, and many now prefer electronic forms submitted online. I suggest you read the "recruitment" section of the website for each of the chapters at UT.
Old 03-19-2018, 06:47 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FloMo Mom View Post
Does your niece have a Panhellenic alumnae group in her area to help her navigate the process? Most recommendations are sent directly to the chapter, and many now prefer electronic forms submitted online. I suggest you read the "recruitment" section of the website for each of the chapters at UT.
Will have to check on the alumnae group. I imagine not getting recommendations back thus far is an indication that they are being sent as they should be. I was concerned!

When I went through rush, I was told not to worry about letters, which made it easy.
Old 03-20-2018, 08:11 AM
GreekChat Member

Hopefully, your niece sent thank you notes to all of the alumnae providing recommendations (even though th status is not known).
Old 04-29-2018, 08:24 PM
GreekChat Member

Yes, be sure she sends thank you letters soon... it's a nice, gentle reminder in case they haven't sent their rec in yet.