GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Recruitment Stories

Recruitment Stories This is the forum where you should place posts about your Recruitment experiences. General questions about Recruitment should be posted in the main Recruitment forum.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,126
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, babobygooglet93
» Online Users: 850
1 members and 849 guests
No Members online

Old 09-06-2018, 09:40 PM
GreekChat Member

I'm horrified by Scorpion's dirty rushing. How little do they care about the rush process, the other PNMs, and their own sorority if they're promising bids and badges? This grosses me out.
Old 09-06-2018, 10:17 PM
GreekChat Member

It sounds like your daughter has a great outlook on the process and a level head on her shoulders. The excellent advice from you and Grandma is just icing on the cake! I'm appalled at Scorpion's behavior, but I am glad that your daughter recognized that it was inappropriate. I am looking forward to hearing how this process played out for her!

To Bind, To Strive, To Aid
Old 09-06-2018, 10:31 PM

I really wonder who Turquoise is now because I know none of the Kardashians went to college ha ha.

As for Scorpions, the girls who really want them don’t care and the ones who don’t will cut them.
Old 09-06-2018, 11:25 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Sister Havana
Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
I really wonder who Turquoise is now because I know none of the Kardashians went to college ha ha.
Actually, Kourtney did graduate from University of Arizona! There's a rumor that she was a member of the Alpha Phi chapter there, but IIRC Kourtney herself debunked that one.

Somebody please shoot me for knowing that. *lol*
Old 09-07-2018, 07:29 AM
GreekChat Member

Set 3

The houses:

Turquoise
Wildflowers
Sunset
Desert Breeze
Wild Wild West
Scorpion

Turquoise:
DD3 decided that not only did she not enjoy her time turquoise, she also thought that they were continuing to be unfair. She said that her time in the house could’ve been great but a sister mentioned how they were the “hot” house several times (“How is that supposed to help me, Mom? I’m going to age at some point and if being hot will suddenly get me into medical school, I’ll be shocked.”)
I tried to clarify whether they meant physically attractive or hot like the temperature (as it was 98 degrees and she was in a house packed full of girls) and I couldn’t figure out which one was meant.

Sunset:
DD3 loved sunset. She loved the girls, the house, and the sorority as an international organization. She said that sunset was definitely in her top 2 for pref and that she felt a real love for them already.

Wildflowers:
She was in love with Wildflowers. Smitten. Head over heels. She had been given a taste of wildflowers and now she was obsessed. She was formerly a bit of a critic but now I was only hearing rave reviews about wildflowers. She wanted to be a wildflower but she also wanted to be a sunset. She did say that the Wildflowers made her feel like she was at home.

Desert Breeze:
She liked them and she liked the girls but she didn’t have the feelings like she did at Wildflowers or Sunset and she made sure to fully participate in conversations and activities but she didn’t feel like her heart was in it and she didn’t see herself ever becoming more than friends with the sisters of Desert Breeze.

Wild Wild West:
The same feelings that she had for Desert Breeze arose and so she participated in rush and had a great time but she didn’t think she would be a good fit for their sisterhood. She did decide to take down names

Scorpion:
DD3 simply said “I’m sure that they’re great people and it’s very unfortunate that I’ve had an experience that has poisoned my view of them but I’m not a fit for their house and I don’t feel comfortable with them. No matter what they say or do, this is my final view point on things and I’ll be sticking to my guns on this one.”

Now, there was a one day break during rush week and Scorpion invited DD3 to dinner and invited her to their home for a “private gathering” with only DD3 and some sisters. This wasn’t some secretive event, DD3 was messaged by numerous sisters. At this point, I wanted to have all the righteous anger of a mother but I also realized that I had to respect DD3’s decisions. She had attempted to report Scorpion to her PX but she’d been shot down and since she was the only girl that anyone knew of being targeted like this, she didn’t want to involve the panhellenic board and ruin her chances of getting a bid. I decided to let DD3’s integrity take charge and see what she would decide to do at the end of recruitment.

DD3 was also told that if she ordered her Scorpion new member pin from Herff-Jones NOW, it would arrive in 3 business days. I was mad before but this almost made me spit fire. I can take DD3 handling her own problems but I can’t take blatant lies about the quality of Herff-Jones service. Moses wandered in the desert for 40 years and STILL reached his destination before my pin that I ordered in December will reach me. If the ladies of Scorpion truly think that Herff-Jones will magically improve their customer service in a matter of days, they’ve got another storm coming.

Before she got her pref schedule back, she told me that if she had Turquoise and Scorpion, she planned on taking a bid from one of the chapters participating in COB or waiting until sophomore year to rush again. She was really distraught and she told me that the Scorpions were making her extremely uncomfortable and that she refused to go to anymore parties if they were on her list.
Old 09-07-2018, 09:10 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriDDDeltgirl View Post
Now, there was a one day break during rush week and Scorpion invited DD3 to dinner and invited her to their home for a “private gathering” with only DD3 and some sisters. This wasn’t some secretive event, DD3 was messaged by numerous sisters. At this point, I wanted to have all the righteous anger of a mother but I also realized that I had to respect DD3’s decisions. She had attempted to report Scorpion to her PX but she’d been shot down and since she was the only girl that anyone knew of being targeted like this, she didn’t want to involve the panhellenic board and ruin her chances of getting a bid. I decided to let DD3’s integrity take charge and see what she would decide to do at the end of recruitment.

DD3 was also told that if she ordered her Scorpion new member pin from Herff-Jones NOW, it would arrive in 3 business days. I was mad before but this almost made me spit fire. I can take DD3 handling her own problems but I can’t take blatant lies about the quality of Herff-Jones service. Moses wandered in the desert for 40 years and STILL reached his destination before my pin that I ordered in December will reach me. If the ladies of Scorpion truly think that Herff-Jones will magically improve their customer service in a matter of days, they’ve got another storm coming.

Before she got her pref schedule back, she told me that if she had Turquoise and Scorpion, she planned on taking a bid from one of the chapters participating in COB or waiting until sophomore year to rush again. She was really distraught and she told me that the Scorpions were making her extremely uncomfortable and that she refused to go to anymore parties if they were on her list.
This is unbelievable. I've heard of various dirty rushing techniques, but the things I've heard sound downright amateur in comparison. I'm so sorry your daughter had to go through this, but she sounds very wise with how she handled things and her decision to COB or re-rush if needed. Lots of integrity in that.

I hope someone reported this chapter to Panhellenic. No PNM should have to experience that.
Old 09-07-2018, 09:10 AM
GreekChat Member

Please finish your story.

And PLEASE do not reveal the chapter names. You're going to be besieged with people here asking you. Trust me on that. And also trust me, this is being handled internally without any negative effects to ANY PNMs including your daughter!

OK? thanks!

My DDD buddy was so excited when I told her about you :-) I'll finish clearing out my PM box and then can pass along her contact info to you.

GO GAUCHOS!!!!!! indeed. That's the story I'm most interested in :-) Wait til you hear my UCSB story - it changed my life also. Of course it involves a man. Sigh.
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision." Bertrand Russell, The Triumph of Stupidity
Old 09-07-2018, 09:15 AM
GreekChat Member

I only plan on revealing the final house! DD3 is very happy where she is! And it isn’t scorpion!
Old 09-07-2018, 09:18 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZTheta View Post
Please finish your story.

And PLEASE do not reveal the chapter names. You're going to be besieged with people here asking you. Trust me on that. And also trust me, this is being handled internally without any negative effects to ANY PNMs including your daughter!

OK? thanks!

My DDD buddy was so excited when I told her about you :-) I'll finish clearing out my PM box and then can pass along her contact info to you.

GO GAUCHOS!!!!!! indeed. That's the story I'm most interested in :-) Wait til you hear my UCSB story - it changed my life also. Of course it involves a man. Sigh.
It’s always a man, I left ucsb for USC and I left because of a man and I met my man. We’ve got another son about to rush and so we’re getting ready this weekend!
Old 09-07-2018, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriDDDeltgirl View Post
I can take DD3 handling her own problems but I can’t take blatant lies about the quality of Herff-Jones service. Moses wandered in the desert for 40 years and STILL reached his destination before my pin that I ordered in December will reach me. If the ladies of Scorpion truly think that Herff-Jones will magically improve their customer service in a matter of days, they’ve got another storm coming.
I laughed so hard at this that I startled the dog. You have a gift for language, TriDDDeltgirl! Truer words have NEVER been written about the train wreck that is Herff-Jones.

PS: Sounds like DD3 has the gift of seeing through the dazzle of recruitment. Good for her. Cannot wait to hear the end of her story.
Old 09-07-2018, 11:01 AM
GreekChat Member

A friend's daughter is a Kappa at Arizona. I really hope her chapter wasn't Scorpion. She's a very sweet girl who used to babysit our daughter.
Old 09-07-2018, 11:20 AM
GreekChat Member

I am continually surprised at Scorpion showing up. I would have thought this chapter would have been ranked LAST after the first round of parties? Scorpion is only being rewarded for their behavior. I guess the pull of a "top rated" chapter is stronger than a PNMs actual experience with that chapter.
Old 09-07-2018, 11:32 AM
GreekChat Member

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iota_JWH View Post
I am continually surprised at Scorpion showing up. I would have thought this chapter would have been ranked LAST after the first round of parties? Scorpion is only being rewarded for their behavior. I guess the pull of a "top rated" chapter is stronger than a PNMs actual experience with that chapter.
Scorpion is not “top rated” and was ranked last everyday. DD3 had enough cuts for scorpion to always be on her schedule.
Old 09-07-2018, 11:36 AM
GreekChat Member

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by AOIIalum View Post
I laughed so hard at this that I startled the dog. You have a gift for language, TriDDDeltgirl! Truer words have NEVER been written about the train wreck that is Herff-Jones.

PS: Sounds like DD3 has the gift of seeing through the dazzle of recruitment. Good for her. Cannot wait to hear the end of her story.
Thank you, AOIIAlum!
Maybe your compliment will hasten the delivery of my badge!
I’m assuming that for every delta in my sorority, Herff-Jones is taking an extra 4 months!
Old 09-07-2018, 02:04 PM

Send a message via AIM to shadokat Send a message via Yahoo to shadokat
The badge comments are some of the truest statements ever said!!! I LOVE THIS!! Best of luck to your daughter