GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > News & Politics

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 1,439
1 members and 1,438 guests
Kevin

Old 12-08-2020, 06:36 PM
GreekChat Member

Thumbs up Marcia Fudge

Congratulations to Delta Sigma Theta former National President on her appointment to the Secretary of HUD!

I had the honorof meeting her on a flight between Washington and Cleveland several years ago and she was very gracious, intelligent and eloquent.
Old 12-08-2020, 10:21 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benzgirl View Post
Congratulations to Delta Sigma Theta former National President on her appointment to the Secretary of HUD!

I had the honorof meeting her on a flight between Washington and Cleveland several years ago and she was very gracious, intelligent and eloquent.
Still needs to be confirmed by the Senate and is going to have to eat her words of a few (months?) ago where she complained that African-Americans were essentially limited to a few specific positions on the Cabinet and specifically mentioned HUD as one of them. She was apparently trying for Sec of Agriculture, but Biden wants to bring back Obama's Sec of Agriculture, Tom Vilsack.
Old 12-09-2020, 08:32 AM
GreekChat Member

Did she complain or did she state a fact?

HUD has had five black directors. Agriculture has had one.

Depending on who you talk to, it can be argued that systemic racism at USDA is the reason there are virtually no Black farmers anymore, and the ones we have are struggling.

Marcia Fudge can't solve racism by herself, but perhaps putting someone who is culturally competent in the driver's seat would do some good.

ETA: I think it's offensive to use the term "complaint" about a Black woman's valid concerns about representation in the highest levels of government.
Old 12-09-2020, 12:42 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sen's Revenge View Post
Did she complain or did she state a fact?

Depending on who you talk to, it can be argued that systemic racism at USDA is the reason there are virtually no Black farmers anymore, and the ones we have are struggling.

Marcia Fudge can't solve racism by herself, but perhaps putting someone who is culturally competent in the driver's seat would do some good.

ETA: I think it's offensive to use the term "complaint" about a Black woman's valid concerns about representation in the highest levels of government.
IMO, a valid complaint is still a complaint. Saying that there is a bug in your soup is a complaint regardless of whether there is a bug or not.

I'm not saying she is wrong. I'm saying that making that statement and then accepting the HUD cabinet position may be problematic.
Old 12-09-2020, 04:30 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:

I recall an interview with Rep. Fudge from a few years ago about when she was placed on the Agriculture Committee. Her first thought was, "what does a Representative from inter-city Cleveland have to do with Agriculture".

The answer: a lot!

The Department of Agriculture is very broad and also encompasses getting food to urban environments and nutrition assistance (food stamps).

It's not just about farmers.

No knowledge from the Cleveland area that Rep. Fudge has complained about her nomination. All cabinet positions are considered an honor. And, maybe she can find a use for Ben Carson's dining room table.
Old 12-11-2020, 03:07 PM
GreekChat Member

Joe Biden just recognized the Deltas during his press conference when introducing Rep. Fudge.
Old 12-11-2020, 07:53 PM
GreekChat Member

Being in northeastern Ohio, I have had to pleasure to meet our lovely 21st National President a few times. The first time was while I was still “becoming a Delta.” My line sisters and I were so nervous to meet a Past National President, but she gave us great advice and encouragement for us to use well beyond our initiation.

The Ohio contingent of Deltas are so excited and proud right now!
Old 12-12-2020, 10:42 PM
GreekChat Member

Will Marsha be the second Delta who holds a cabinet position?
Old 12-13-2020, 03:22 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChioLu View Post
Will Marsha be the second Delta who holds a cabinet position?
According to https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o..._Theta_sisters and https://www.deltasigmatheta.org/notable-members there have been at least two prior:

* Patricia Roberts Harris - Served as Secretary of HUD and then HEW/H&HS during the Carter Administration (Who as far as I can tell was the first black woman to hold a cabinet position)
* Alexis Herman - Served as Secretary of Labor during the second half of the Clinton Administration

Also,

From looking at
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...et_Secretaries

and then looking at Gender, the following is the list of African American women who have served in Cabinet positions.

Patricia Roberts Harris, Hazel O'Leary, Alexis Herman, Condoleezza Rice, Loretta Lynch.
Old 12-13-2020, 11:42 AM
GreekChat Member

Loretta Lynch is a Delta
Old 12-13-2020, 05:27 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Loretta Lynch is a Delta
I agree, and I'll add to the notable sisters page on Wikipedia when I have a chance.