GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > News & Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,428
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, baangelasteaxdy
» Online Users: 2,320
1 members and 2,319 guests
No Members online

Old 09-28-2020, 11:13 PM
GreekChat Member

Rhodes has a very lovely campus and the sororities have little chapter "houses" that actually do not house anyone. (I think the term is Lodge.)

I find it interesting that another extremely conservative female Republican, Sen. Kelly Loeffler of North Carolina is also a KD.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 09-29-2020, 01:28 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnchorAlum View Post
I agree with you. And they're her "friends"? I have some sisters I've seen on FB whose views I don't espouse at all, but I wouldn't speak ill of them.
If any of my sorority sisters were to be nominated to the Supreme Court and I felt that she didn't live and breathe Justice, Sisterhood and Love, I would quite happily sign a letter recommending she not be appointed to the Supreme Court. If you feel that someone you know very well is about to demolish civil rights in your country brick by brick, why on earth wouldn't you say something?
Old 09-29-2020, 02:18 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldBows View Post
If any of my sorority sisters were to be nominated to the Supreme Court and I felt that she didn't live and breathe Justice, Sisterhood and Love, I would quite happily sign a letter recommending she not be appointed to the Supreme Court. If you feel that someone you know very well is about to demolish civil rights in your country brick by brick, why on earth wouldn't you say something?
Of course “good Greeks” cover for their brothers and sisters as they have for 150 years. Wouldn’t want to hurt little Timmy’s chances of making partner at the firm, deacon at the church or losing out on a political appointment. Seriously this is why our Greek system has a target on it’s back.

I adore my sisterhood and have been a dues-paying, gifting, involved alumna & volunteer for 20+ years. But DG is not more important than my family, my country or my morals & religious beliefs. And if a DG were about to go trample everything I hold dear - say, if Ann Coulter were nominated for this seat - I would not sit silently and cover for her in the bonds of sisterhood.
Old 09-29-2020, 07:15 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iota_JWH View Post
I find it interesting that another extremely conservative female Republican, Sen. Kelly Loeffler of North Carolina is also a KD.
Georgia, and according to Wikipedia she is a member of Alpha Gamma Delta.
Old 09-29-2020, 07:50 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shellfish View Post
Georgia, and according to Wikipedia she is a member of Alpha Gamma Delta.
She is an Alpha Gam. Just looked her up in our Database.
Old 09-29-2020, 08:02 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
Alumnae who knew her personally saying “Amy is my chapter sister and we lived in the house together for two years but she’s terrible” just makes them sound shallow or backstabby. It’s one thing for that to come from a classmate, it’s another to come from a sorority sister.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnchorAlum View Post
I agree with you. And they're her "friends"? I have some sisters I've seen on FB whose views I don't espouse at all, but I wouldn't speak ill of them.
I can tell you. as a member of ODK on one campus and an advisor of that and Mortar Board on others: the members are selected by vote of the current membership. Back in the day, one of those organizations required that the vote be unanimous. Obviously, she was doing something right back then. I'm not sure I trust the word of anonymous people from college on her or anyone else. 'He/she was my roommate's third cousin's neighbor from 2 apartment complexes over and I recently heard bad things about him or her so I want to be interviewed by the media."
Old 09-29-2020, 10:34 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXDG View Post
Of course “good Greeks” cover for their brothers and sisters as they have for 150 years. Wouldn’t want to hurt little Timmy’s chances of making partner at the firm, deacon at the church or losing out on a political appointment. Seriously this is why our Greek system has a target on it’s back.

I adore my sisterhood and have been a dues-paying, gifting, involved alumna & volunteer for 20+ years. But DG is not more important than my family, my country or my morals & religious beliefs. And if a DG were about to go trample everything I hold dear - say, if Ann Coulter were nominated for this seat - I would not sit silently and cover for her in the bonds of sisterhood.
Amen. I fondly remember when Ann Coulter was set to do a book signing at my alma mater and many of my DG sisters organized a sit in protest together. It was a great bonding experience.
Old 09-29-2020, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenAnchor View Post
Amen. I fondly remember when Ann Coulter was set to do a book signing at my alma mater and many of my DG sisters organized a sit in protest together. It was a great bonding experience.
Did you go to school with her and/or live with her?

Believe me, there are ASA sisters I would sign a petition against in a heartbeat. But when it comes to one of my chapter sisters that I had the power to discipline her or vote on her termination, it makes me look complicit. Either that or I could say “Ann has changed a great deal since our college days. I hold fond memories of our years at State U, but I do not agree with the views she holds now.”

I have no idea if ABCBC has these same views in school, but if she did and people who were friends with her are now throwing her under the bus because it’s chic to do so, it’s beyond hypocritical.
Old 09-29-2020, 03:00 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
I have no idea if ABCBC has these same views in school, but if she did and people who were friends with her are now throwing her under the bus because it’s chic to do so, it’s beyond hypocritical.
This is how it appears to me.

True and Constant
Old 09-29-2020, 03:18 PM
GreekChat Member

This post is neither in favor or against Amy Coney Barrett. It is in response to the alums banding together to oppose her nomination - which I think everyone and every group has the right to do, I'm all for using one's voice.

I was curious specifically what they think she has done that goes against the school values and from what I've read, it is linked to political views...that they oppose her for being pro-life, for being against the ACA, etc., etc. For many who are pro-life, then she represents commitment to service and loyalty beyond all. If you're pro-choice, then you will look at this very differently.

Again, this is not yeah or nay for her, but I do think it's important to look at what they're talking about when being against her. Perhaps there is more out there that would detail why she's unworthy of this post but so far it seems aligned with political viewpoints. If anyone can find something that goes beyond that, I'd appreciate it being posted.
Old 09-29-2020, 03:23 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Did you go to school with her and/or live with her?

Believe me, there are ASA sisters I would sign a petition against in a heartbeat. But when it comes to one of my chapter sisters that I had the power to discipline her or vote on her termination, it makes me look complicit. Either that or I could say “Ann has changed a great deal since our college days. I hold fond memories of our years at State U, but I do not agree with the views she holds now.”

Quote:
Originally Posted by navane View Post
This is how it appears to me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCMS View Post
This post is neither in favor or against Amy Coney Barrett. It is in response to the alums banding together to oppose her nomination - which I think everyone and every group has the right to do, I'm all for using one's voice.

I was curious specifically what they think she has done that goes against the school values and from what I've read, it is linked to political views...that they oppose her for being pro-life, for being against the ACA, etc., etc. For many who are pro-life, then she represents commitment to service and loyalty beyond all. If you're pro-choice, then you will look at this very differently.

Again, this is not yeah or nay for her, but I do think it's important to look at what they're talking about when being against her. Perhaps there is more out there that would detail why she's unworthy of this post but so far it seems aligned with political viewpoints. If anyone can find something that goes beyond that, I'd appreciate it being posted.
Yes, yes, and yes!
Old 09-29-2020, 04:17 PM
Super Moderator

I can not like this enough.
Old 09-29-2020, 06:43 PM
Super Moderator

Welcome to GC Ronaldo. You make excellent points.
Old 09-29-2020, 06:55 PM
GreekChat Member

A post from my Rhodes friend: “This likely nominee is an alumna of Rhodes College, my alma mater. Her views, prejudices, interest in taking away rights of women, dislike of LBGTQ rights - are in complete contrast to my experience & my people at Rhodes College and the sorority to which we both pledged. I am angry and disappointed that the most famous KD and Rhodes graduate appears to be such an outlier. Please do not judge the college, KDs, or me by her. “
Old 09-29-2020, 08:08 PM
GreekChat Member

I am a Kappa Delta and a Catholic. The thought of her politics and attitude being part of the Supreme Court decisions for the next 30 years makes me want to hurl. The church she belongs to in South Bend is cray cray. Welcome to Gilead.

Kappa Deltas have every right to speak out FOR and AGAINST her stances, actions, politics and beliefs. What is bad form is shaming the Central Offices for posting congratulations for the accomplishments of a sister.