GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Fraternity Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Fraternity Recruitment Recruitment event ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,445
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, Avalanchejqr
» Online Users: 1,553
0 members and 1,553 guests
No Members online

Old 01-10-2008, 08:54 PM
GreekChat Member

Wow, WarEagle07, you and I really think alike! Not only did you mention my fabulous alma mater, but you also love Freakanomics.

I have to agree that the first major thing to figure out is whether this is a trend that was happening at most other schools, only certain other schools or only your school.

If it was happening at most other schools, then you can look to bigger socioeconomic trends (remember there was a recession in the early 90's!) or bigger sociological trends (for example, what was popular for the kids going to college at that time).

If it was happening at only certain other schools, they you need to look at what those schools have in common with yours and with each other.

If it was only happening at your school or only a few schools, then you can look at specifics of your school, like admissions changes, changes in administrative attitudes towards greek life, etc.

That's how I would start anyway. If you want to come up with a possible hypothesis, it is easiest to eliminate large sections of things that could NOT be the reason first.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 01-10-2008, 09:28 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to nate2512
Louisiana Tech changed presidents in 1987. The former served from 1962-1987 and the current has served since then. Perhaps the new president has done something affected Greek Life.

There are just so many variables.
Why did certain fraternities fold?
How did campus living requirements change?
Average GPA vs. Fraternity GPA along those years?
Number of other campus organizations available?
Maybe it has to with Tech using a quarter system?
Ratio of male to female students?

I think there are too many variables to know what really caused it.

Old 01-11-2008, 01:56 PM
GreekChat Member

While the theory and facts are very interesting, I wonder how this would factor in todays greek standards?

From some of the things I have heard and read, the Greeks usually have a higher campus GPA than the campus average.

Greeks are in expanding mode whether it be a new colony or going back and rechartering closed chapters.

Things run in cycles and I am sure will continue. But, if the R M is cut down, the growth will continue except for one thing, the cost of education going up and the expendable money will be a draw back.

Great insight to say the least TechTransfer!!!!

LX Z # 1
Alumni
Old 01-13-2008, 01:44 PM
GreekChat Member

Perhaps people just aren't finding the lifestyle attractive anymore?
Old 01-15-2008, 03:36 PM
GreekChat Member

> Nerds who don't care about having any sort of social life

There are nerds and there are nerds. At the very high end (1550 SAT) there are true nerds who don't care about anything but academics. But, they are at only a few schools.

But, a school that goes from 1100 to 1200 will not lose its social life, it will have a different social spectrum. Generally fewer "mass parties", more niche activities with a tamer, specialized content.

More selective schools have a flatter mix of MBTI types. The flatter mix means that its a lot easier for each type to achieve critical mass - five or six like-minded ones, to band together.

For fraternities, it means working harder to build brotherhood, but makes for larger chapters, with the workload shared more evenly. Plus, most brothers doing something they like to do anyway.