GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Academics

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,124
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, znathanhulzeo24
» Online Users: 1,471
3 members and 1,468 guests
Cookiez17, g41965, JayhawkAOII

Old 05-30-2012, 07:25 PM
GreekChat Member

The Best Colleges/Universities that You May Not Know About

A few weeks ago at a family gathering, my brother began asking my oldest nephew about his college plans. He's going into his senior year and is exactly the kind of student that colleges look for, as evidenced by the piles of college information that has already been sent to him. My brother stated sorting it all into 3 piles: 1) Definitely consider 2) Maybe and 3) Definitely not/throw out. My nephew was grilled by 6 eager adults including his parents all with their own ideas of where he should go. It turned into mayhem.

Talking to my nephew one-on-one, I found that he knew exactly what he wanted in a college/university. He found this discussion as amusing as I did, because the final decision is his to make. Since this idea of choosing a college/university is one of my favorite topics on GC, I thought that we could have a thread to discuss the good and bad (hopefully not too bad) aspects of schools.

I'd like the emphasis to be on the more unusual, obscure schools, the ones that are not that well-known yet. For example, I'd like to know about Mississippi Women's College (Mississippi University for Women and Men, Columbus, MS). I'd love to hear from somebody in Minnesota who knows about Winona State University, which is one of my favorite little campuses. There are loads of little colleges to be considered --- if one knows about them. I'll start with my next post.
Old 05-30-2012, 07:54 PM
GreekChat Member

Lewis University - main campus: Romeoville, IL (It has several other smaller campuses around the Chicago area).
Okay, maybe this is a little "mainstream." But usually the Roman Catholic universities & colleges don't impress me that much unless they are Jesuit. This is one that is the exception to that rule. Founded in 1932 by the Christian Brothers (Lasallian); it has approximately 6800 students. There are both undergrad & grad programs with a large selection of academic programs. There is a BA in Liberal Arts which combines any 2 minors for a total of 128 credits. So you could combine International Business with Philosophy, or Communication Studies with Contemporary Global Studies to design your own program of study.
The students could not be nicer when you are on compus. This is a beautiful little campus with a nice bookstore. The facilities and outside grounds are meticulously maintained. Things are expanding and the library seems to be having growing pains. There are several sororities and fraternities including some co-eds and a "fratority." There are most of the the NPHC sororities and a Kappa Alpha Psi chapter on campus.
My nephew said that some of his friends are going here, so it definitely has already been discovered. I can see why -it's an impressive campus atmosphere.
Old 05-30-2012, 08:10 PM
GreekChat Member

Columbia College - Chicago, IL (Downtown Chicago Loop area)

This is "The other Columbia" (not Columbia University in New York). This is still pretty "mainstream." This is a very artsy type college with some unusual college programs. Founded in 1890, Columbia has approximately 12,000 students. Great Radio, TV, Film & Video programs among others like Dance Movement Therapy and Counseling, Game Design, and Fashion Business. There are also more traditional liberal arts and sciences offerings, but the students here can be highly untraditional.

Everything is taught from an arts perspective here. Creativity is rewarded. If you don't like to write, you may be able to contract with your professor to do an art project instead. It's in downtown Chicago, so it has a very urban feel. Students are surrounded by Chicago's skyscrapers. The campus includes the city. Columbia College's main building is right in the heart of it.
Old 05-30-2012, 08:25 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by barbino View Post
Lewis University - main campus: Romeoville, IL (It has several other smaller campuses around the Chicago area).
Okay, maybe this is a little "mainstream." But usually the Roman Catholic universities & colleges don't impress me that much unless they are Jesuit. This is one that is the exception to that rule.
Could you explain this more? (Disclaimer: I'm not Catholic so I'm curious!)

My recruitment story: My sorority membership changed my life.
Old 05-30-2012, 08:46 PM
GreekChat Member

The Jesuits are such excellent educators that I know that any campus that they teach at will require a student to fully engage in learning in order to stay enrolled. Their high school programs are all "college prep" because there is no need for a Jesuit education if it does not prepare one for further academic study.

Whether it is Loyola University in Chicago (I worked here for a few years), Marquette University in Milwaukee, Washington University in St. Louis, College of the Holy Cross in Worcester, Massachusetts, or any of the other numerous Jesuit institutions, a Jesuit education is a true liberal arts education, no matter what the field of study.

Integrating the classics with theological thought and social justice, the Jesuits teach a timeless academic tradition that is both contemporary and historical at the same time. Members of my own family have gone to Jesuit schools, so I am familiar with their curriculum. I am no longer Roman Catholic. But the Jesuits still impress me with their educational standards.
Old 05-31-2012, 07:02 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
The Jesuits are such excellent educators that I know that any campus that they teach at will require a student to fully engage in learning in order to stay enrolled. Their high school programs are all "college prep" because there is no need for a Jesuit education if it does not prepare one for further academic study.

Whether it is Loyola University in Chicago (I worked here for a few years), Marquette University in Milwaukee, Washington University in St. Louis, College of the Holy Cross in Worcester, Massachusetts, or any of the other numerous Jesuit institutions, a Jesuit education is a true liberal arts education, no matter what the field of study.

Integrating the classics with theological thought and social justice, the Jesuits teach a timeless academic tradition that is both contemporary and historical at the same time. Members of my own family have gone to Jesuit schools, so I am familiar with their curriculum. I am no longer Roman Catholic. But the Jesuits still impress me with their educational standards.

How could you forget the flagship Jesuit university, my beloved Georgetown???

Also, St. Louis University is Jesuit but Washington University in St. Louis is not.
Old 05-31-2012, 11:28 AM
GreekChat Member

I would venture to add on the female side that any Sacred Heart school would be included in that discussion. They are considered the female Jesuits from an educational standpoint. The fact that there are many fewer nuns today than in the past may have impacted them though. I've been out of school for a number of decades.
Old 05-31-2012, 11:30 AM
GreekChat Member

And back to the original post, interesting to me is the comment that it is the young man's decision to make. Is he independently funded at this point in his life? His parents have no say?
Old 05-31-2012, 11:32 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to deadbear80
Quote:

Wash U. is not nor has it ever been a Jesuit institution. While it was founded as "Eliot Seminary", it has always been nonsectarian .
Old 05-31-2012, 06:11 PM
GreekChat Member

Wash U was founded by Unitarians. It's sort of the opposite of Roman Catholic.

St. Louis University is the Jesuit university in St. Louis. It's a solid school, but it's not Wash U.

Last edited by KDCat; 05-31-2012 at 06:14 PM.
Old 05-31-2012, 06:28 PM
GreekChat Member

My cousin went to MSCW decades ago but I can't tell you anything.

If you are really interested, I can send her your contact info.
Old 05-31-2012, 09:09 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senusret I View Post

How could you forget the flagship Jesuit university, my beloved Georgetown???

Also, St. Louis University is Jesuit but Washington University in St. Louis is not.
Sorry, Sen, for not mentioning Georgetown specifically. There are so many Jesuit institutions and so little time ...
Thanks for pointing out that it is St. Louis University that is Jesuit and not Washington University. To me, this falls under the category of 1) Boston College & Boston University (same town, two very different schools) and 2) Georgetown and George Washington (same town, two even more different schools). One of my brothers went to one of these for his masters and I never could remember which one it was.
I love your GIF. Let us know about Georgetown; give us a profile of your alma mater, mainstream as it is.
Old 05-31-2012, 09:35 PM
GreekChat Member

Thanks, deadbear80 & KD Cat for also pointing out about St. Louis University being Jesuit, not Washington University. My bad ...

Titchou, I never made the connection between Sacred Heart Schools/Society of the Sacred Heart and the Jesuits until you pointed it out. It makes perfect sense because when I was growing up their grammar and high schools were top notch. Also, I know that my nephew's parents will allow their son to make his own decision. It's a good thing that he is such an excellent student/athlete with a great activity record because they will no doubt be looking and comparing scholarship and financial aid packages. There are 4 kids in the family altogether, but he is the first child and the oldest son. He'll have support from both sides of the family if necessary. You are right, the funds are always an important consideration.

Also, Modorney - thanks for the pm. If you clean out your box I can resend my response.
Old 05-31-2012, 09:41 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGDLynn View Post
My cousin went to MSCW decades ago but I can't tell you anything.

If you are really interested, I can send her your contact info.
I never knew this school existed until last summer when I helped a friend with a PHD edit his Curriculum Vitae and search for positions in his field online. It seemed really unusual and definitely got my interest. Let's see if someone else responds.
Old 05-31-2012, 09:58 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Sorry, Sen, for not mentioning Georgetown specifically. There are so many Jesuit institutions and so little time ...
Thanks for pointing out that it is St. Louis University that is Jesuit and not Washington University. To me, this falls under the category of 1) Boston College & Boston University (same town, two very different schools) and 2) Georgetown and George Washington (same town, two even more different schools). One of my brothers went to one of these for his masters and I never could remember which one it was.
I love your GIF. Let us know about Georgetown; give us a profile of your alma mater, mainstream as it is.
Oooh... I'll chime in a smidge regarding GW/Georgetown... seeing as how I'm currently filling out my intent to register with Georgetown RIGHT NOW!

I feel like the campus environments of GW and Georgetown are night and day. Georgetown has a beautiful, somewhat insulated campus that reminds me a lot of UCLA in certain regards - it feels like a traditional "campus" to me, with expansive stretches of plazas, and gorgeous, old-world buildings. GW feels like many other young, hip areas of DC - school buildings are on city streets, so you have a melange of people walking to/from the metro, to class, and to work everywhere. Restaurants and shops are intermixed among the buildings, etc.

All of my visits and experiences with Georgetown have emphasized the whole person, "women and men for others" vibe that is inherent in the Jesuit culture. I get the feeling that they have a very clear vision of the kind of student they want, and the kinds of graduates they want to produce.