GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Locals

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 1,259
4 members and 1,255 guests
John, PrettyBoy, Xidelt

Old 05-09-2007, 09:10 AM
GreekChat Member

What steps do I need to take to start a non-collegiate sorority?

I and a very special group of ladies are looking to start our own Non-Collegiate sorority. We would like to know what our first step should be. Help if you can.

Thanks in Advance Dee
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 05-13-2007, 03:27 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to MsDGP007 Send a message via Yahoo to MsDGP007
I am not sure, but I would think that your first goal should be incorporation and recognition of being a legit non-profit organization. The requirements for incorportation vary by state, but in most instances, you have to have a constitution (or business plan) and bylaws set up before you do that. In the meantime, you can focus on recrruiting a dedicated core membership. Establishing a brand new sorority is hard, hard work. I would suggest quality over quantity at these early stages. Good luck!
Old 05-30-2007, 11:58 AM
GreekChat Member

Beta Sigma Phi

Have you looked into Beta Sigma Phi??
Old 05-30-2007, 12:05 PM
GC Member

Send a message via AIM to OneTimeSBX Send a message via Yahoo to OneTimeSBX
lw, what type of sorority are you looking to join? i am in a non-collegiate sorority, and we are a member of the National American Greek Council, i think there is a link for information if you find the website...good luck!
Old 05-30-2007, 12:09 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to jubilance1922 Send a message via Yahoo to jubilance1922
There are plenty of non-collegiate sororities out there.

Google is your friend.
Old 05-30-2007, 12:29 PM
GreekChat Member

First - thouroughly research ALL of the non-collegiate sororities around today. Then after you have researched ALL of them, come back to Greekchat and intellegently articulate what makes your potential NCS different from the other existing groups. If your potential sorority really is going to serve a purpose unmet by what is currently out there, and you can demonstrate that its more than just a case of founderitis, folks around here might be able to offer you some advice.

Here is a place to start researching some of them - http://www.communitysororities.org There are 28 listed there, and I know there are quite a few more that aren't on that site yet.

Last edited by OrigamiTulip; 05-30-2007 at 12:31 PM.
Old 11-05-2008, 08:31 PM
GreekChat Member

Unhappy help

Hi my name is Jasmyne And Want to be in a High School sorority but dont know which one
Old 11-05-2008, 11:30 PM

Sororities are for college students not high schoolers. Join the Pep Club or the newspaper staff instead.
Old 11-06-2008, 01:04 AM
GreekChat Member

33Girl, sisterhood takes many forms and can be an important source of support for women of any age, particularly those who are going through the turbulent high school years. Although high school sororities aren't nearly as common as those that maintain chapters at colleges and universities, there are parts of the country where sororities are part of the high school culture.

Jasmyne, do you currently have one or more sororities in your high school? It's not clear whether you're asking for advice on joining one that already exists at your school, or whether you're asking how to bring a high school sorority to your school.
Old 12-21-2008, 12:37 AM
GreekChat Member

why discourage new orgs?

Why are people trying to get this girl to either join their organization or discourage her from forming a new sorority? The constitution gives us a right to organize under a name and/or affliate with a group with certain beliefs. She doesn't need to meet a "need" in society to form an organization, the need she is meeting might be a personal one. Anyway....young lady, if you want to start your own sorority, go right ahead. The person with the advice about incorporating and recruiting is correct in her comment. I, too, am starting my own community organization. My only purpose is to recognize women and men of excellence and to encorage an atmosphere of attaining their highest heights. I applaud people who are bold enough to chart their own path. Good luck in your formation!

Last edited by herexcellency; 12-21-2008 at 12:49 AM.
Old 12-21-2008, 02:08 AM

Because too many people start a new group to be "something different" only to find out a year or two down the road, after much work and discouragement, that there was ALREADY a group out there that would have met their needs. "A very special group of ladies" doesn't exactly scream new and different, nor does "women and men of excellence." It's like the corporatespeak that says nothing. Founderitis is a very dangerous disease, and should be cured ASAP.

OPhiAGinger - too many high school sororities are run without any sort of a governing board like NPC or NPHC to keep things fair among groups and keep them from turning into nothing more than cliques, and with little adult input to help regulate risk. I don't think these groups (unless affiliated with a national GLO or an adult organization) are a good idea.
Old 12-21-2008, 03:08 PM
GreekChat Member

I grew up the the South where there were ( and still are) many high school sororites. I was an officer in mine and I don't remember much , if any, adult involvement. We had formals, etc, that would have needed an adult to bind contracts. We must have had someone's parents to do so. That was way back before the day of risk management and thank goodness nothing adverse happened during my years in the group. Wow, I haven't thought about that aspect in years.
You are right, 33girl, it was very cliqueish. A lot of those groups have gone by the wayside. It's probably a good thing. College is a better environment for sorority life.

Last edited by ZTA72; 12-21-2008 at 04:19 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 01-01-2009, 02:59 AM
GreekChat Member

No offense but ADULT LIFE is cliqueish. Why is it that when adults talk to teens they pretend that they will leave their school years and suddenly the plain will be BFF with the gorgeous and the people with scads of money will invite the barley making it to christmas dinner? Our society is segregated in many ways and school life prepares us for that reality. If more people would fess up to that young people would get their hearts broken less. The chick spouting about this subject is I believe the same person who referred to a particular sorority as the "fat house" so what gives? I belonged to a high school sorority founded in '89 by me and 5 friends. It still exists at my HS today. There is nothing wrong with creating instead of just joining. Follow your heart and your own path. Let the sheep blink in jealousy.
Old 01-01-2009, 03:00 AM
GreekChat Member

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
Sororities are for college students not high schoolers. Join the Pep Club or the newspaper staff instead.

So should you be forced to leave the GLO when you graduate from college?
Old 01-02-2009, 06:16 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst One View Post
No offense but ADULT LIFE is cliqueish. Why is it that when adults talk to teens they pretend that they will leave their school years and suddenly the plain will be BFF with the gorgeous and the people with scads of money will invite the barley making it to christmas dinner? Our society is segregated in many ways and school life prepares us for that reality. If more people would fess up to that young people would get their hearts broken less. The chick spouting about this subject is I believe the same person who referred to a particular sorority as the "fat house" so what gives? I belonged to a high school sorority founded in '89 by me and 5 friends. It still exists at my HS today. There is nothing wrong with creating instead of just joining. Follow your heart and your own path. Let the sheep blink in jealousy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst One View Post
So should you be forced to leave the GLO when you graduate from college?
That doesn't have anything to do with what 33girl was saying.