GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,458
Threads: 115,512
Welcome to our newest member, SSPrintingLLC
» Online Users: 2,768
0 members and 2,768 guests
No Members online

Old 07-31-2006, 09:31 PM
GreekChat Member

Going out prior to rush?

Hi everybody!

I'm new to this board, and just found it a little while ago. I am going to be a sophomore at USC (CA), and I'm rushing this fall! (I'm sooo excited!)

For those of you who are USC-knowledgeable, how strict are the rules about people not being allowed on the row prior to rush? The reason I ask is because I'm staying at a friend's before moving in, and they are all planning on going out to the row the week before classes start (that's when rush starts). I'm tempted to go out with them, because I don't want to stay at my friend's house alone (with his parents!). Plus, I love going out and can't wait to meet all the new freshmen! It just seems like such an exciting period of time on the row, but I also don't want to get in trouble because I went out with my friends. I know of people who've gone out to the row before and still had a successful rush, but I'm worried because I will most likely recognize people who are in sororities while I'm out. What do you guys think?

I was trying to figure out why this rule exists, and I thought that maybe it was to prevent incoming freshmen from getting any misconceptions about any sororities or fraternities? I had a friend tell me that it was the one time of the year when the sororities don't have to compete with one another.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 08-04-2006, 05:23 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by troygirl
Hi everybody!

I'm new to this board, and just found it a little while ago. I am going to be a sophomore at USC (CA), and I'm rushing this fall! (I'm sooo excited!)

For those of you who are USC-knowledgeable, how strict are the rules about people not being allowed on the row prior to rush? The reason I ask is because I'm staying at a friend's before moving in, and they are all planning on going out to the row the week before classes start (that's when rush starts). I'm tempted to go out with them, because I don't want to stay at my friend's house alone (with his parents!). Plus, I love going out and can't wait to meet all the new freshmen! It just seems like such an exciting period of time on the row, but I also don't want to get in trouble because I went out with my friends. I know of people who've gone out to the row before and still had a successful rush, but I'm worried because I will most likely recognize people who are in sororities while I'm out. What do you guys think?

I was trying to figure out why this rule exists, and I thought that maybe it was to prevent incoming freshmen from getting any misconceptions about any sororities or fraternities? I had a friend tell me that it was the one time of the year when the sororities don't have to compete with one another.
Call the Office of Greek Life at your school and ask them if such a restriction exists. Good luck. However, if you have to question "Will the sororities judge me if they see me out partying with my friends and acting stupid?" the answer is yes. If you embarrass yourself out on the town or partying at a fraternity before recruitment, your name will get around and it will be very apparent when you get your first invites back at recruitment.
Old 08-05-2006, 02:53 AM
GreekChat Member

This happened once durring our spring informal recruitment. We saw a girl at the fraternity next door being wasted and acting like a complete fool and the next day she attended our informal party. Needless to say, she didn't receive a bid from our house.

I don't attend USC so I don't know the rules for them but I'm sure you wouldn't want to decrease your chances in getting into a great house so I would take as many precautions as possible. Plus, there will be more parties the next week.
Old 08-05-2006, 03:38 PM
GreekChat Member

As a fraternity member at USC I can say that it highly depends...if you are a sophomore transfer nobody will be able to remember seeing you, but if you were at USC last year and waited a year to rush, chances are you will run into sorority girls who will recognize you on the row. Now the chances that girls will care is pretty slim, but it would only take one "holier-than-thou" type of girl to report you and get you kicked out of rush. The chances that that would happen are slim to none but it is possible. Most of the freshmen I knew last year pulled it off but then again there was nobody out on the row that would recognize them. Pre-rush is so ridiculously big at USC...last year one particular night was attended by literally thousands of students and was shut down by about 40 LAPD cop cars and two helicopters. So the chances of a sorority member who doesn't know you remembering your face from the hundreds and hundreds of girls that will be out is minimal.
Old 08-05-2006, 05:29 PM

It's not so much about not going out, as it is about being low key.

If you're drunk and making a fool of yourself, getting arrested, or getting kicked out of a fraternity- a sorority member could potentially notice you. Then once rush starts, she'll meet you and remember you as (for example) "that girl who was drunk and cursing on the row after she got kicked out of SAE".

You don't want that. So in my opinion, go out and have fun. Just don't do anything you wouldn't want to be remembered by.

Lakers Nation.
Old 08-05-2006, 06:59 PM
GreekChat Member

Are these just USC rules or did Panhellenic start something new? Granted I've been out of school quite some time but when I was an undergrad the only time I heard of restrictions like this were on active sorority members. They didn't want us to accidently run into a rushee. From what I remember rushees could go out til there hearts were content. We however, could not.
Old 08-05-2006, 07:05 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by troygirl
Hi everybody!

I would avoid going to the row before recruitment. Even if you don't notice them, there could be several sorority members around you, and if they don't like what you're doing or how you are acting, you could get black-balled. I knew several women that this happened to when I first went through recruitment. Once you have pledged and joined a sorority, you will have plenty of time to party on the row!!!
Old 08-06-2006, 10:30 AM
GreekChat Member

From my understanding recruitment at USC is quite competitive for a west coast school. Do you really want to do anything to jeopardize your chances? Partying on the row is fun, but if you do join an organization you will have a few years to do that anyhow. Why risk it? My husband's cousin is a Kappa from there and when I asked her she had the same opinion I did. I'm sure you will meet plenty of freshmen during recruitment as well, it's not the only place to meet them.
Old 08-06-2006, 01:56 PM
GreekChat Member

I can understand that you want to have your fun; however, if going through recruitment is that important to you, then why would you want to put yourself in a potentially compromising situation? You have no idea what could happen while you are on the row. It could be something that you are in the middle whether it be intentional or not. Personally, I would stay away. You never know who could be watching you. There could be talk behind your back or who knows what else. There are other places you could have fun other than the row. Of course, you can do whatever you want. But you don't want to be constantly wondering if something you did on 'the row' could have prevented yourself from joining a sorority. No matter what the school, every girl should be careful how they carry themselves from the time they step on campus until recruitment starts. It sounds creepy, but eyes are everywhere.
Old 08-07-2006, 01:04 AM
GreekChat Member

Thanks for the feedback! I think if I go out with my friends (should I decide to) I'm not going to do anything crazy. We're going back to my friend's parents' house, anyway, and I think it's disrespectful to act stupidly while living under somebody else's roof. Plus, my main reason for going isn't to party, it's to hang out with my friends that I haven't seen for a few months. Hopefully it won't make a serious impact either way.