GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,428
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, baangelasteaxdy
» Online Users: 2,214
2 members and 2,212 guests
John

Old 03-21-2004, 08:09 PM
GreekChat Member

Question Questions about Leadership Training

Hi,

I have a question/s about leadership training and similar training within fraternities and sororities. I want to learn how different GLOs do this, GLOs amongst other things are widely held to teach and equip members throughout their time in the chapters/groups with leadership skills. Along with lifelong friends, members often tout self-developing as a leader as one of the greatest benefits of having been in their sorority or fraternity.

I know some larger (inter)national fraternities have structured leadership programs e.g. Sigma Nu's LEAD program, Delta Tau Delta's The Complete Delt program etc.
I am interested in discussing structured programs being used in an org (at campus level) versus regular leadership activities (e.g. one week an image consultant on business dress might visit, help on public speaking given another week - you get the idea) coupled with chapter officer positions being available for those members to further develop and put skills learnt into practice.

Where the group is a member of a large organization which has a specific developed program the group may use that but if a) their group does not have one (or they can & do opt not to use it) or b) they are not part of a larger group at all what are the options? And, are such ad-hoc leadership initatives (such as those examples above) which are not part of a long term structured laid-down program of limited effectiveness? Undergraduates developing a focused, well structured leadership program designed to span three or four years themselves which includes everything necessary and then exercising the program may be some feat ?!!

Thank you for sharing your experiences, ideas, thoughts and opinions!

ETA: To further clarify/expand this original post I'm particularly interested in discussion where the groups resources are limited - be that in experience of leadership training/programming or financial. This applying more to smaller or standalone groups/those without a structured international program and larger ones where it is not widely used. But I'd love to hear from anyone from all types of groups with their thoughts on the questions.

Last edited by decadence; 03-21-2004 at 10:40 PM.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 03-21-2004, 08:44 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to PhiPsiRuss Send a message via AIM to PhiPsiRuss Send a message via Yahoo to PhiPsiRuss
At the chapter level, simply participating in chapter operation offers experiential learning. This is where most chapter members will get leadership training; hands-in experience.

There are great similarities in chapter operations, such as the widespread use of Roberts Rules.

Values based membership development programs, a relatively new development in the fraternity world, is discussed in this thread:
http://GreekChat.com/gcforums/showth...threadid=44701

At the national level, there are varying levels of programing.

Phi Kappa Psi offers:

Programs for Undergraduates
Woodrow Wilson Leadership School (WWLS) - held biennially in the summer of odd numbered years. Focuses on leadership skills in the context of chapter operations. Subsidized by our Foundation.

Presidents Leadership Academy - held annually in Indianapolis, near our HQ. Participants pay $75, which includes airfare, lodging, and meals. Addresses changing issues in the fraternity world, as well as leadership issues that chapter presidents face.

Fraternity Educators Leadership Academy - held annually in Indianapolis, near our HQ. Participants pay $75, which includes airfare, lodging, and meals. Addresses planning, and implementing fraternity education programs.

Men of Excellence - This is our new values based membership development program. It is holistic in scope, so leadership skills development is part of it. It is implemented at the chapter level.

The Leadership Experience - Developed in-house, this is conducted at a retreat, near a chapter, by fraternity staff.

Cabo Alpha Leadership Academy - Funded, and operated by one of our foundation's trustees, this is offered to Phi Psis during their spring break. It is extremely popular, and has proven to be very effective.

Programs for Alumni
Dab Williams Alumni College - Held concurrently with the WWLS, this offers a range of topics to help Phi Psi alumni become more effective in volunteering for their fraternity.

National Housing Educational Conference - Held annually, at the beggining of the school year, in Las Vegas to keep Phi Psi alumni leaders on the cutting edge of fraternity housing information.

New Volunteer Orientation - Held annually, at the beginning of the calendar year, this provides leadership training for new advisors, alumni corp. officers, and alumni association officers.
Old 03-22-2004, 08:46 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to breathesgelatin Send a message via AIM to breathesgelatin Send a message via MSN to breathesgelatin Send a message via Yahoo to breathesgelatin
Pi Beta Phi offers its member many opportunities for leadership development. Every year there are numerous leadership training weekends for various collegiate and alumnae officers. Additionally, as part of our 4-year member development program Leading with Values, one whole area involves leadership development. This area includes several modules that are required of all chapters, including leadership workshops and a national leadership academy. You can find out more about it on our website. http://www.pibetaphi.org
Old 03-22-2004, 12:58 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Quala67
APO LEADS program

As Alpha Phi Omega has as it's three cardinal principles: Leadership, Friendship, and Service; of COURSE we have a national leadership program!

Our "signature" leadership program is APO LEADS.

APO LEADS: A Personal Odyssey of Learning, Leading, and Serving

APO LEADS is the leadership development program of Alpha Phi Omega National Service Fraternity. It was created to fulfill a portion of the the vision statement of the fraternity.

"Alpha Phi Omega will be the nation's foremost campus-based, inclusive, service-oriented, leadership development organization for university and college students by building upon its advantages and strengths as a unique and diverse Fraternity."

The APO LEADS program consists of five individual modular components of leadership development. Each of these modular components focus on skills that will help the participant be a successful leader and team member in Alpha Phi Omega and in life. At the completion of the series of courses, the participant will have a set of transferable skills that are applicable to Alpha Phi Omega, to the working world, as well as to leadership in other organizations.
The five components of the APO LEADS program are:

LAUNCH; Launching your leadership development

EXPLORE; Exploring your leadership strengths and potentials

ACHIEVE; Achieving success through teams

DISCOVER; Discovering your management strengths and skills

SERVE; Serve the Fraternity and the world as a Leader

Alpha Phi Omega members completing the APO LEADS program will be recognized for the dedication to their own leadership development and furthering the principles of the Fraternity.

The great thing about APO LEADS programs is that they can be presented to just your chapter or at a conference. The only limitation is that you must have a minimum of 12 and a maximum of 30 in attendance.

For more information on other leadership programs sponsored by APO, please visit http://www.leadership.apo.org/apoleads.php.

Alumnus, Zeta Beta/Va Tech and ADI/VCU
Advisor, Alpha Beta Omega/ODU, Phi Mu/NSU, & AZPhi/Regent U
Old 03-22-2004, 01:48 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to James Send a message via AIM to James
I am actually writing an article about this for a magazine.

I have been to numerous leadership events, both through greek life and student government, and I can honestly say I have never been to an effective program.

I have been to a lot of fun programs. I would recomend them all because they were nice ecperiences and you met nice people. But as far as walking away with a lot of nicely defined skills . . . well no.

On the collegiate level most of the training is PV Value-driven drivel. Day of Destny stuff . . .. Generally stuff based on Posner's work.

Save your money and bring in corporate speakers.
Old 03-22-2004, 01:54 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to PhiPsiRuss Send a message via AIM to PhiPsiRuss Send a message via Yahoo to PhiPsiRuss
Quote:
Originally posted by James
I can honestly say I have never been to an effective program.
By itself, I agree with you that no leadership program does much. If the newly learned knowledge and skills are immediately applied, it can be effective. Any chapter's day-to-day operations provides hands-on learning of leadership skills. Leadership programs are most effective when teaching someone who already has some experience. Then that person can take some relevant points, and refine his skills.

Last edited by PhiPsiRuss; 03-22-2004 at 06:02 PM.
Old 03-22-2004, 05:59 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Quala67
The APO LEADS program is FREE for any member to participate in. If there are weekend events, the costs are only to cover housing and food.

This program is based on the Servant-Leader model, and has gotten good reviews from members who have attended the various segments.

Alumnus, Zeta Beta/Va Tech and ADI/VCU
Advisor, Alpha Beta Omega/ODU, Phi Mu/NSU, & AZPhi/Regent U