GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,123
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, zsamulpitt5293
» Online Users: 1,040
1 members and 1,039 guests
PGD-GRAD

Old 04-30-2010, 08:24 PM
GreekChat Member

Leaving a fraternity to join another

Hey, I'm looking for help for a friend of mine. I don't really know how fraternities work and found this site looking for information. My friend joined a fraternity, however after rethinking things and a fraternity coming back on campus he decided he wants to change but isn't sure how or if its possible. I know I've heard that once your join your stuck for life and can't join another but is it different if he wants to leave an NIC fraternity to join a black fraternity (NPHC). Or are all the rules universal.
Old 04-30-2010, 08:25 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadow267 View Post
Hey, I'm looking for help for a friend of mine. I don't really know how fraternities work and found this site looking for information. My friend joined a fraternity, however after rethinking things and a fraternity coming back on campus he decided he wants to change but isn't sure how or if its possible. I know I've heard that once your join your stuck for life and can't join another but is it different if he wants to leave an NIC fraternity to join a black fraternity (NPHC). Or are all the rules universal.
Tell your "friend" he's "stuck for life".

BTW, for not knowing "how fraternities work," you know a lot about the different councils.

Old 04-30-2010, 08:44 PM

I think he is his "friend."
Old 04-30-2010, 08:47 PM

LOL @ not knowing anything about fraternities but knowing the appropriate abbreviation for a major council--or really knowing that there are councils PERIOD. My non-Greek friends (with zero interest in Greek pursuits) don't know that.

Lakers Nation.
Old 04-30-2010, 08:54 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
News flash for you. 4 of the 5 NPHC fraternities are also NIC.
Old 04-30-2010, 09:02 PM
GreekChat Member

Well, I'll tell him that then, and I know the terms cause he explained to me the situation and wanted me to help look for an answer to it. Thanks for the help though, unless anyone knows anything else.
Old 04-30-2010, 10:38 PM
GreekChat Member

I know 2 men who are members of an NPHC group and an NIC group. It can happen but he'd have to check with the particular groups to find out if they do. (And yes I know which groups my friends are in but I'm not going to post them here.)
Old 04-30-2010, 10:51 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titchou View Post
I know 2 men who are members of an NPHC group and an NIC group. It can happen but he'd have to check with the particular groups to find out if they do. (And yes I know which groups my friends are in but I'm not going to post them here.)

At the same time?

Old 04-30-2010, 10:58 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Is the NPHC group Omega Psi Phi?
Old 04-30-2010, 11:16 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Well, I'll tell him that then, and I know the terms cause he explained to me the situation and wanted me to help look for an answer to it. Thanks for the help though, unless anyone knows anything else.
Lol @ perpetuating the "friend" story. Cuz, like, he can't come here himself to ask the question.

Old 05-01-2010, 08:11 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psi U MC Vito View Post
Is the NPHC group Omega Psi Phi?
I said I wouldn't post them here. I wouldn't do that without asking permission and there really isnt any point as the OP didn't name the groups. And maybe in his area of the country it isn't as common as in others. I'm a member of an NPC group so I don't want to talk about things I know little about. But I will say that the NPHC group and the NIC group are both better known ones.
Old 05-01-2010, 09:22 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
I said I wouldn't post them here. I wouldn't do that without asking permission and there really isnt any point as the OP didn't name the groups. And maybe in his area of the country it isn't as common as in others. I'm a member of an NPC group so I don't want to talk about things I know little about. But I will say that the NPHC group and the NIC group are both better known ones.
If it isn't Omega, then a big no no is involved. That was why I asked. They are the ONLY NPHC that is not NIC as well.
Old 05-01-2010, 10:14 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psi U MC Vito View Post
If it isn't Omega, then a big no no is involved. That was why I asked. They are the ONLY NPHC that is not NIC as well.
Just wondering, what about folks who were Alpha's and "XXX's" before they joined NIC? Did they have to give up one membership or the other?
Old 05-01-2010, 10:21 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Just wondering, what about folks who were Alpha's and "XXX's" before they joined NIC? Did they have to give up one membership or the other?
That's actually a very good question that I have no idea the answer to. Though of course it doesn't matter for the OP, but that is something I want to find out now lol.

ETA: Though thinking on it now, I wouldn't see somebody being force to forsake their oaths because of something out of their control. So yes I can see that working.

Last edited by Psi U MC Vito; 05-01-2010 at 10:34 AM.
Old 05-01-2010, 10:52 AM
GreekChat Member

True, I wouldn't think they would make someone do that. Just sort of curious about the whole thing, though. Does this mean you're going to research it and let me know???(LOL!)