GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > News & Politics

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,126
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, babobygooglet93
» Online Users: 1,348
0 members and 1,348 guests
No Members online

Old 08-03-2005, 08:55 PM
GreekChat Member

"America Coming Together is coming apart"?

ACT Down
From today's Washington Post:

A year ago, the liberal group America Coming Together was on the cutting edge of national politics, spending tens of millions of dollars on a massive voter-mobilization project in every presidential battleground state.

The dream was that ACT--heavily funded by billionaire George Soros--would play a decisive role in getting Democratic nominee John F. Kerry elected president and then remain in business as a permanent force in liberal politics.

Instead, the group this week began sending e-mails to most of the 28 people who make up the remaining ACT staff warning that their paychecks would stop at the end of August. All the state offices have been, or are soon to be, closed.

Well, that's interesting, but does the Post have to be so long-winded? Why not just say, "America Coming Together is coming apart"?

- Opinion Journal
Old 08-03-2005, 11:35 PM
GreekChat Member

I knew a lot of people who worked for ACT. Ellen Malcom (founder and president of EMILY's List) started this group. They were going to try to go as long as possible after November '04 and I had a few good friends who worked with them. I'm sad to see them shut down, they had a great group of people working for them and they did a lot across the country in terms of grassroots work and voter moblization.