GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Chit Chat

Chit Chat The Chit Chat forum is for discussions that do not fit into the forum topics listed below.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,130
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, zmaisongoogleto
» Online Users: 1,117
1 members and 1,116 guests
No Members online

Old 04-20-2017, 09:55 PM
Super Moderator

Decorating Graduation Caps-Dying Trend?

So, I came across an article talking about decorated graduation caps and the particular school district banning them at a couple of their high school graduations.

I like the trend for the creativity but do you think this trend is on it's way out or not? Do you like the trend? Did you decorate your cap high school or college?
Old 04-20-2017, 09:56 PM
Super Moderator

Article from a local Bay Area high school
https://gunnoracle.com/2015/03/20/co...tion-caps-pro/

Article about students protesting not being able to decorate their caps.
http://www.dailyrecordnews.com/membe...a4bcf887a.html

Eighteen-year-old Amber Holmes holds the graduation cap she had expected to wear across the stage when she graduated from Overton High School Wednesday. (video)
http://wreg.com/2014/05/22/student-n...raduation-cap/

Last edited by NinjaPoodle; 04-20-2017 at 10:02 PM.
Old 04-20-2017, 11:09 PM

I graduated in 95, we were not allowed to decorate our caps. It wasn't until I attended a college graduation that I saw it in person.
Old 04-21-2017, 10:19 AM
GreekChat Member

I decorated my cap in high school. It was a pretty big thing to get it airbrushed at the time. I had a white cap and gown, and I had airbrushed 2002 and panther paws in purple (my school's mascot and colors). Some people get really creative. I like the trend.

Plus, I graduated high school with more than 700 people, so my parents had a much easier time finding me in the crowd

I honestly don't even know if we could have decorated our caps in college. I don't remember seeing anyone who did it when I graduated.

@~/~~~~
Old 04-21-2017, 11:08 AM
GreekChat Member

When I graduated from HS in the mid-90s this was absolutely not allowed not to mention there were guidelines on what you could and could not wear. Broke the roles you couldn't participate in the graduation ceremony. Before transferring schools my first college allowed this and there were some absolutely amazing creative caps.
Old 04-21-2017, 02:50 PM

Send a message via AIM to shadokat Send a message via Yahoo to shadokat
We didn't do this in high school, but in college, all of our sorority sisters would put their letters and scroll numbers on their hats.
Old 04-21-2017, 10:06 PM
GreekChat Member

I just graduated high school and we were allowed to decorate our caps. After all, they were OURS - we bought them and we were able to take them home afterwards. With that being said, I don't buy for a second that Amber Holmes didn't know about the rule. When you decorate your cap, you ask your friends how they are decorating theirs. She would have been made aware long before she showed up.
Old 04-23-2017, 12:42 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to sigmagirl2000
My HS rented caps and gowns, so we returned them. Way less stress that way. Also, we graduated outside during a thunderstorm

::: waiting for someone to post in Irishpipes 2013-2014 chapter listing thread that quota was .25 ::: - ASTalumna06
Old 04-23-2017, 06:37 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sigmagirl2000 View Post
My HS rented caps and gowns, so we returned them. Way less stress that way. Also, we graduated outside during a thunderstorm
Our HS rented caps and gowns, too, white for women and colored for men. The white gowns began looking a tacky beige-yellow, so the school now uses colored gowns for every student. You must return the gown same night in good condition to receive the official graduation paper insert for your empty graduation booklet received onstage during the ceremony.

For three decades our HS set-up two graduation areas on the morning of graduation evening, one indoor and one outdoor. Outdoor was preferred when the weather was good. Then came parents who complained of the indoor usage two years in a row when the weather held nice both years. So the school said nuts to second-guessing the weather and has held it indoors every year since. Come to think of it, thirty years ago they graduated June 15th and now they graduate May 13th so the sun would go down earlier with May outdoor graduations.

It's only words, and words are all I have to take your heart away.
Old 04-23-2017, 11:32 PM

When I was in HS *mumble* years ago, we rented our caps and gowns, and were not allowed to decorate them. Someone brought a giant inflatable beach ball to commencement, and a few people tossed it around, but that was the only "transgression" from decorum. (The commencement ceremony was re-broadcast on the local education public access channel. The beach ball scene was omitted...)

In college, everyone other than doctoral graduates rented caps and gowns. People decorated their caps, but it was pretty much only easily-removed items.
Old 04-24-2017, 10:54 AM
GreekChat Member

My high school didn't do cap and gown rentals, but we still weren't allowed to decorate our caps. The women wore white and the men wore black, but now they all wear black and I prefer that, personally.

Undergrad we were allowed to decorate ours and I might have gone a little overboard with the Lilly print (but it matched my dress!)
Old 04-24-2017, 07:26 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by clemsongirl View Post
My high school didn't do cap and gown rentals, but we still weren't allowed to decorate our caps. The women wore white and the men wore black, but now they all wear black and I prefer that, personally.

Undergrad we were allowed to decorate ours and I might have gone a little overboard with the Lilly print (but it matched my dress!)
That's really cute Clemsongirl!
Old 04-27-2017, 05:13 PM
GreekChat Member

This was just posted on Facebook. I guess I could have decorated my cap in college!

http://onwardstate.com/2017/04/27/272155/#prettyPhoto

@~/~~~~
Old 07-27-2017, 03:08 AM
GreekChat Member

High school, I'd never even heard of decorating caps. We bought our caps and gowns, so I still have at least the cap somewhere around here.

College, I don't believe my University allows cap decorating. Considering the only honor cords we were allowed were the ones reflecting GPA, and the only other medal/honor allowed was Phi Kappa Phi…it doesn't seem like a long shot to assume cap decor wasn't allowed either.

I do know of at least one school where it's a big thing—JSU students decorate their caps enthusiastically, and even get their friends to help them decorate them. I've really enjoyed seeing the ones I've seen from my Facebook friends, though it did make me a little jealous.

Old 07-28-2017, 11:39 AM
GreekChat Member

Interestingly, I just came across this on Ebay. They have them for other orgs, as well.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Alpha-Sigma-...MAAOSwdGFYuY~b

@~/~~~~