GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Locals

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 1,444
4 members and 1,440 guests
aantonygooglet9, John, Sen's Revenge

Old 08-30-2011, 05:50 AM
GreekChat Member

Local Alum Associations

I'm a recent graduate (2010) of a local sorority that hasn't been around long (founded in 2003), and I was hoping to get some help with improving Alumnae interactions. (I thought this might be a better place to post this thread since this one under "Alumni Invlovement" didn't have the best reception: http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/sh...d.php?t=118454)

When I joined in 2006, the founders and early classes had been active with and were good friends of a lot of the seniors at the time, so they were quick to offer help/advise and attend alum events. However, as the years passed, the alumnae didn't know the actives as well (we even had one year where our Alumnae Chair wasn't sending out updates--without the rest of the actives being aware), and interest and attendance had plummeted by the time I was Alumnae Chair (2009-2010). I put my all into improving communication between the actives and the alum, but still received slim to few responses from my updates, and the 2010 Alum Weekend I planned wasn't the greatest success.

Just as I was lamenting Greek involvement being something that had to end when I graduated college, the 2011 Alum Weekend had a much bigger turn out, and just this week when the newest Alumnae Chair sent out her first update, many sisters that haven't been heard from in years responded and expressed their enthusiasm to be more involved.

The point of my rather ramble-y story is that this leaves me feeling a bit encouraged that starting an Alum Association of some kind might be feasible (but I'm not sure how to do that exactly). I had a friend who was very involved in his local Fraternity's Alumni Association, but his fraternity had been around and going strong since the 1980's, so the Association was well established (and funded), and even qualified as a registered Non-Profit organization.

Our alum are fairly young, and don't have huge disposable incomes, but I was wondering if any of you could help me figure out what a Local Alum Association might look like (since I've been able to find lots of info about National ones, but less about locals). Thanks in advance for any help/insight you can give!

ETA: I've seen a few (older) posts with people asking similar questions and getting responses like "ask your alum what they want to do" or "get in contact with everyone", so I wanted to clarify that what I mean by "what an alum association might look like" is what types of actions are involved in formalizing the Alum interaction with one another? (i.e. making it more than just a few old college friends getting together) And how does one get the ball rolling with that process?

Last edited by KZmlle; 08-30-2011 at 09:15 AM. Reason: Clarification
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 08-30-2011, 11:05 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by KZmlle View Post
ETA: I've seen a few (older) posts with people asking similar questions and getting responses like "ask your alum what they want to do" or "get in contact with everyone", so I wanted to clarify that what I mean by "what an alum association might look like" is what types of actions are involved in formalizing the Alum interaction with one another? (i.e. making it more than just a few old college friends getting together) And how does one get the ball rolling with that process?
Are you asking what it takes to get an alumnae chapter started and chartered?
Old 08-30-2011, 01:06 PM
GreekChat Member

I'm realizing that what I'm asking may not be answerable. We're small and local, so our alum association wouldn't be chartered or through any other organization (national or otherwise). And as such, any Alum association may lack the "formality" I'm looking for. I'm just having difficulty deciding what steps to take beyond saying "hey, guys, let's make this post-college sorority thing more than just 'let's hang out sometime!'"
I'm thinking of starting with some sort of Alum newsletter separate from our existing Active updates to the Alum (since I found a very useful thread about Alum newsletters).

And I guess I'm just curious how other locals may have started their alum associations, since all the research I've done applies to mostly larger (national) orgs, with networks of Alumni already in place.

Last edited by KZmlle; 08-30-2011 at 01:13 PM.
Old 08-30-2011, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KZmlle View Post
And I guess I'm just curious how other locals may have started their alum associations, since all the research I've done applies to mostly larger (national) orgs, with networks of Alumni already in place.
Your best bet might be to just reach out to some local groups and ask them.

A lot also depends on how embracing the school/administration is of Greeks in general.
Old 08-30-2011, 10:26 PM
GreekChat Member

If you are going to start an alum association for your local, start simple. If you overcomplicate everything, sisters will get burned out. Start with a few exec board offices, charge inexpensive dues (if you feel you need them), open a business bank account. Do a newsletter a few times a year. Organize some social events, but vary them: some for alum only, some for sisters and alum, some for alum and spouses/dates/families. Organize some social events around times when alums and sisters usually mix: homecoming, Founder's Day, etc. Offer one year of free automatic membership to graduating seniors. Base the alum association around the major metropolitan area where most of your alums live. Start a facebook page for alums and sisters or just alums only. Use evites for minor social events and paper invitations for major social events.

Please feel free to pm me if you have specific questions. I'm an alum of a local sorority and I was pretty involved with our first attempt at an alumnae association. I'm happy to help any way I can!
Old 08-31-2011, 09:31 AM
GreekChat Member

Thanks so much! I sent out a general e-mail to everyone explaining what I had in mind, and we'll see how receptive they are (and what is and isn't possible with their schedules/finances).

Your support is encouraging, I'll definitely be in touch if any more questions arise : )