GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Locals

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 2,316
0 members and 2,316 guests
No Members online

Old 03-07-2011, 08:53 PM
GreekChat Member

locals recognized on campus

I understand people get annoyed with questions that have already been answered... I have tried to find the information on this site but cant seem to... so i hope this isnt a repeat question.

Here is some background:
I am a member of Delta Delta, a local sorority that has been active for twenty years. Back in April 8, 1989 we were picked up by phi sigma sigma. Because of a hazing incident 99 we lost our charter and re-established as a local (not recognized by campus) sorority. However, right now we are 31 active sisters strong and are far different from the girls that were part of our sorority then.

My questions are:

-How can a sorority opperate as a local, recognized by campus organization under title 9?
("No person in the United States shall, on the basis of sex, be excluded from participation in, be denied the benefits of, or be subjected to discrimination under any education program or activity receiving Federal financial assistance..."—United States Code Section 20)

-If a local sorority/interst group goes through the proper procedureto try to affliate nationally is it possible that they will pick up every sister? or will they always conduct individual interivews and only take new members on an individual basis?
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 03-07-2011, 10:23 PM

Answer #1: The same way a national sorority does. If your school admin is giving you Title IX as an excuse not to recognize you, they're full of shit. There are schools where all the organizations are local and so obviously they're not violating Title IX. (You may want to bring up Bloomsburg, where half the groups are NPC and half are local.)

Answer #2: It depends. Pertinent thread: http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/sh...d.php?t=116933
Old 03-07-2011, 10:32 PM
GreekChat Member

thanks so much, i thought it was bullshit but the greek advisor for my school doesnt like us personally so... we're just trying to educate ourselves as much as possible.

we have other support through students and teachers... i just want to make sure we're covering all our bases