GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Entertainment

Entertainment TV, movies, music, books, sports, radio...

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,124
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, znathanhulzeo24
» Online Users: 1,193
1 members and 1,192 guests
Low D Flat

Old 10-02-2014, 03:22 PM
GreekChat Member

Last edited by MaryPoppins; 10-02-2014 at 03:28 PM. Reason: To add the scrumptious GIF
Old 10-02-2014, 03:35 PM
GreekChat Member

A favorite relaxing weekend activity for my roommates and I in college was as much Designing Women and Golden Girls as the Lifetime channel would give us. Those were the days.

I know this one was mentioned several years ago, but here it is agiain anyway in all its glory:

Julia: Excuse me, aren't you Marjorie Leigh Winnick, the current Miss Georgia World?
Marjorie: Why, yes I am.
Julia: I'm Julia Sugarbaker, Suzanne Sugarbaker's sister. I couldn't help over hearing part of your conversation.
Marjorie: Well, I'm sorry. I didn't know anyone was here.
Julia: Yes, and I gather from your comments there are a couple of other things you don't know, Marjorie. For example, you probably didn't know that Suzanne was the only contestant in Georgia pageant history to sweep every category except congeniality, and that is not something the women in my family aspire to anyway. Or that when she walked down the runway in her swimsuit, five contestants quit on the spot. Or that when she emerged from the isolation booth to answer the question, "What would you do to prevent war?" she spoke so eloquently of patriotism, battlefields and diamond tiaras, grown men wept. And you probably didn't know, Marjorie, that Suzanne was not just any Miss Georgia, she was THE Miss Georgia. She didn't twirl just a baton, that baton was on fire. And when she threw that baton into the air, it flew higher, further, faster than any baton has ever flown before, hitting a transformer and showering the darkened arena with sparks! And when it finally did come down, Marjorie, my sister caught that baton, and 12,000 people jumped to their feet for sixteen and one-half minutes of uninterrupted thunderous ovation, as flames illuminated her tear-stained face! And that, Marjorie — just so you will know — and your children will someday know ---is the night the lights went out in Georgia!
Old 10-02-2014, 05:13 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RUASTgrrl View Post
And that, Marjorie — just so you will know — and your children will someday know ---is the night the lights went out in Georgia!
^^^^Bravissima!
Old 10-02-2014, 06:39 PM
GreekChat Member

Thank you, RUASTgrrl!! I read that whole thing with Julia's voice in my head. My very favorite scene from DW!
Old 10-03-2014, 08:38 AM
GreekChat Member

RUASTgrrl - my sisters and I quote that to each other!!! It's the finest scene, we've made all our daughters watch it on youtube!!! Thank you.
Old 10-03-2014, 08:41 AM
GreekChat Member

And this as well:
"For example, you probably didn't know that Suzanne was the only contestant in Georgia pageant history to sweep every category except congeniality, and that is not something the women in my family aspire to anyway. "
Old 06-19-2017, 07:04 PM
Super Moderator

Dear Little One,
I wish two things;
To give you roots.
To give you wings.
Old 06-19-2017, 07:21 PM
Super Moderator

The First Day of the Last Decade of the Entire Twentieth Century

The ladies and Anthony have been mesmerized by the tales at Miss Minnie's bedside as she starts to speak passionately and emotionally.
MISS MINNIE BELL WARD: ....I thought as I got older, the bold outline of truth would be revealed to me, but it hasn't happened. When I was young, I was in such a hurry. And now, I've been here a hundred years. It seems like only yesterday I held my babies in my arms. I'm glad to be going home. It's been a long time since I've seen my family. And I wish for all of you, all the love and happiness I had in my life -- and I hope the world keeps going toward freedom. And I hope that people everywhere can learn to live together in peace. As my pappa used to say......we ain't what we should be, we ain't what we're gonna be, but at least we ain't what we were..... (and Miss Minnie slowly lays back as she gasps her final breath and passes on.)
Old 06-19-2017, 07:36 PM
GreekChat Member

Not a quote, but....

The exteriors for Julia's and Suzanne's homes were shot in Little Rock, AR.

Julia's home (Sugarbaker's) is Villa Marre
http://www.encyclopediaofarkansas.ne...x?entryID=2108

while Suzanne's home is the Arkansas Governor's Mansion.
http://www.arkansasgovernorsmansion.com
Old 06-20-2017, 12:41 PM
GreekChat Member

No one has mentioned the episode "Miss Trial"?

Julia: "I'd like to thank you again, Charlene, for turning me in to the judge. Now the entire jury is sequestered and I am stuck sharing a room with a woman with no lips."

Later...

Suzanne to Charlene: "I think you and your baby oughta get a couple of black wigs and get the hell out of town."
Old 09-15-2017, 06:05 PM
GreekChat Member

Customer at Burger Guy: Is it fresh?

Julia, working the counter: Let me put it this way—it's compressed fish, breaded and deep-fried, it costs 89 cents. What do you think?

Customer: I dunno.

Julia: Yes, it's fresh.
Old 09-15-2017, 11:26 PM
GreekChat Member

My mom watched DW religiously and sometimes I'd watch it with her.

Two episodes come to mind:

1) The episode where they all go to New Orleans and get hammered, then the next day while trying to fix the microphone Annie Potts' character announces that she's having an affair with a married man and the microphone turns back on when she says it.

2) The episode where Bernice has her own TV show and interviews Julia and someone else (Charlene??), and she starts asking Julia questions with sexual inuendos.
Old 10-01-2017, 10:46 PM
GreekChat Member

I don't remember much about the episode except that Mary Jo's daughter Claudia had a serious boyfriend, and she was still in High School. And Mary Jo was talking to Claudia about how if she had *questions*, she would be happy to answer them. And she slipped in very quickly at the end of her conversation, "Don't have sex." Like a subliminal message. That one got plenty of use with my mother, sister and me.

Old 10-02-2017, 11:53 AM
GreekChat Member

"Tonight we're talking about a problem that preys on the mind of every senior citizen: sex for sale."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h6ouhdxwK6Q
Old 07-20-2019, 03:04 AM
Super Moderator

ttt